Customer Service 866.965.0400

2X2 Sections

Timmy8784

Question

Hey guys,

I am new to machine polishing. I notice everyone saying to work in 2x2 sections before moving on to make sure you are getting the result you want.

My question is that after you work the 2x2 section and you go to the next section, do you completely finish all smaller sections? For example, each section you should use the paint correcting polish, then the finishing polish, then wipe down the residue before moving on? Or should you do the correcting on the whole car, then go back and do finishing and so on?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

That's up to you, usually I do the whole car with say PCP and orange pad then move on to PFP and white pad.......doing it this way is just  easier because you aren't constantly changing pads & products. And you don't have to remove the PCP residue before moving on to PFP.

That's a great question.  I always suggest to people that once you have your "formula" for that particular detail down...move how it will make you stay comfortable.  If you are comfortable completing the detail 2x2, around the whole thing, then do it.  A lot of folks will take the formula from said 2x2 section, and then execute one step at a time, on the whole car, before moving on...in an effort to save time by not having to constantly switch pads/juice.  

IE

If it takes one pass of each polish, most will do the correcting pass on the whole car, then step into the polishing pass, and so on.

If you are going for absolute perfection...stick inside that 2x2 area, and do the whole car like that.  I did my TBSS in 18"x18" sections to get it where I wanted it.

That's a great question.  I always suggest to people that once you have your "formula" for that particular detail down...move how it will make you stay comfortable.  If you are comfortable completing the detail 2x2, around the whole thing, then do it.  A lot of folks will take the formula from said 2x2 section, and then execute one step at a time, on the whole car, before moving on...in an effort to save time by not having to constantly switch pads/juice.  

IE

If it takes one pass of each polish, most will do the correcting pass on the whole car, then step into the polishing pass, and so on.

If you are going for absolute perfection...stick inside that 2x2 area, and do the whole car like that.  I did my TBSS in 18"x18" sections to get it where I wanted it.

Thanks for the replies!

So essentually, if I leave the finishing polish residue on the car while i complete the whole car, I can wipe away all at the same time and that won't affect the job?

Thanks for the replies!

So essentually, if I leave the finishing polish residue on the car while i complete the whole car, I can wipe away all at the same time and that won't affect the job?

Wiping off polish residue in between steps with the Adam's Correction and Polish System is a little bit of an energy waster as the Diminishing Abrasive Technology in the polishes themselves allows you to "climb over" steps.  Again, this would be something to utilize after you have your formula down.   Essentially polishes are two things in this case...liquids and solids.  The liquids in the polish help break down (in conjunction with a machine) the micro abrasives in the polish.  When you are left with nothing but a Vasoline-y type residue on the car, after you have worked the polish to flash...all that's left is the leftover liquids.  I WOULD however, if you are sealing the paint, make sure you have the Finishing polish residue removed 100%.  Some people like to use an IPA wipedown before heading into sealant.  I myself like to finish with Glaze and Wax.  More therapy for me.   If you are using BG in your application, you can go all of the steps through BG, then knock it down before you wax.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes!  

The Adam's polishes work like that (some other brands do not), so leave on or wipe off, your choice.  I am am "wipe off" person. 

Wiping off polish residue in between steps with the Adam's Correction and Polish System is a little bit of an energy waster as the Diminishing Abrasive Technology in the polishes themselves allows you to "climb over" steps.  Again, this would be something to utilize after you have your formula down.   Essentially polishes are two things in this case...liquids and solids.  The liquids in the polish help break down (in conjunction with a machine) the micro abrasives in the polish.  When you are left with nothing but a Vasoline-y type residue on the car, after you have worked the polish to flash...all that's left is the leftover liquids.  I WOULD however, if you are sealing the paint, make sure you have the Finishing polish residue removed 100%.  Some people like to use an IPA wipedown before heading into sealant.  I myself like to finish with Glaze and Wax.  More therapy for me.   If you are using BG in your application, you can go all of the steps through BG, then knock it down before you wax.

Hope that helps!

That helps a lot!

I am not actually using the Brilliant Glaze.  I thought about it, but since I live in AZ with so much dust, I decided to go with the Paint Sealant with the sealant machine pad.  Then i'm going over with the Buttery Wax.