Customer Service 866.965.0400

How should I clean these headlights?:)

DwDrummer

Question

Have some family members visiting out of town and noticed the headlights were pretty cloudy so I offered to polish them out? Should I wetsand with 1000,1500,2000 grit then buff out with paint correcting polish/paint finishing? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!:D

18 answers to this question

Try polish first. If that doesn't work try 2000 grit and then feel the lense, it should have a consistent feel, if not more sanding is needed. Follow sanding up with polishing and then apply a sealant

I always try to use the 4" Polishing Pads w/ SHR & FMP first but if that doesn't work I usually wet sand with 2000 Grit and then 3000 Grit, then go over it with the 4" Pads. Remember to Seal it when finished!

This was done on a 2001 Alero just last summer (12 years of contamination and neglect). I used 2000 Grit to 3000 Grit then SHR followed by FMP and finished up with Quick Sealant.

1006231_10151699725162593_710573230_n.jp

1069914_10151699725497593_1807334883_n.j

After commenting I seen the picture of your headlights you were trying to do... There is a problem with Grand Prix's headlights, they tend to get contaminated on the inside. I tried to do a friends last year and I sanded and sanded and sanded until it was smooth to the touch but after removing the headlight I noticed it was on the inside and nothing could be done.

Thanks everybody looks like I probrably need to just wets and with 2000 to be safe. Shouldn't take no more than 15 minutes per side to sand. The top part that has a black tint to it I wonder if it's on the inside?

I believe the black is inside.

Try a test spot first with a compound.  If that doesn't make a dent then go to wetsanding.  The headlights on an 04+ grand prix are known for hazing up like this.  For wetsanding I would probably go with 1000/1500, 3000, compound, polish, IPA and seal. 

I believe the black is inside.

That's what I'm affraid of!:(

Try a test spot first with a compound.  If that doesn't make a dent then go to wetsanding.  The headlights on an 04+ grand prix are known for hazing up like this.  For wetsanding I would probably go with 1000/1500, 3000, compound, polish, IPA and seal.

Sounds like a plan! Can you get 3000 grit autozone?

2 years ago no, but my local ones have been carrying it lately.  You can also check for PBE (Paint, Body, & Equipment) stores in your area.

That's what I'm affraid of! :(

Yeah that where I got mine when I was painting some parts.  The headlights are black inside. 

I've been using this product and LOVE it! http://www.amazon.com/3M-03064-Trizact-Performance-Sandpaper/dp/B005RNGL9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398437978&sr=8-1&keywords=3000+grit+wet+sandpaper

It's NOT paper!  It's a thin foam piece layered with the abrasive.  It holds water AND cuts well.  

This is exactly what I got from autozone along with a variety pack of 3M sand paper with various grits.  It will be easier to get out 3000 grit over 2000 grit marks.  I also use 4" pads on my porter cable to compound and polish.

I've been using this product and LOVE it! http://www.amazon.com/3M-03064-Trizact-Performance-Sandpaper/dp/B005RNGL9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398437978&sr=8-1&keywords=3000+grit+wet+sandpaper

It's NOT paper!  It's a thin foam piece layered with the abrasive.  It holds water AND cuts well.  

Going to have to try this. I see O'Riley's by me carries it. I used to have to order my stuff online.