Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any old fashioned wet-shaving enthusiasts out there?

cammyfive

About 8 years ago I got into 'old fashioned' shaving with a single blade safety razor, primarily after breaking out an old 1950s Gillette model that my grandfather passed down to me, a silver tipped badger hair brush and some thick english shaving cream. Much like detailing or any other hobby, it's amazing how expansive the culture is and how deep the various products go. If you're a guy that hates paying stupid prices for all the cartridge replacements for modern plastic razors it's worthing looking into and gives you a super CLOSE shave. Be warned, take it slow or you'll need to take a few days off from work to heal up the battle cuts on your face!

Yeah, I tried a few of their creams and pre-shave oils.....didn't really care for them. They're kind of a segway into the true world of wet-shaving. In fact, I'd liken them to Meguiars in the detail world......a good start for someone coming off Turtle Wax or something but they can still buy it at Walmart and get better results than what they're used to. :) Some of my favorite brands include Castle Forbes, Trufitt and Hill as well as Prosaro. Look them up if you're interested.

What Art of Shaving (AOS) does have going for it is a presence in some malls in major metro areas. I've been to their boutiques a few times where you can get a straight razor shave from a master barber....very cool!

yeah i use an edwin jagger de (derby blades) and boars hair brush with mitchell's wool fat shaving soap.  top that of with Captains choice bay rum aftershave.

West Coast Shaving . com is another good source.

My dad was a barber for many years. I still have his shaving stuff including the strop and razor. But I never let him shave me and have never used it myself.

And I'm not about to let my wife give me "close shave" either!! :lol:

I use a 1955 Gillette Super Speed with a silver tip brush daily. I love Stirling shave soap and Saint Charles Shave's after shave balms. The shave is so much closer and much more comfortable.

I just shave in the shower mirrorless with one of them there new fangled 5 blade shavers...  Too much going on to get to particular with the way I do it and no one's ever complained that it's not a close enough shave.  

I made the switch to DE's at the beginning of the year, I have several RazoRock razors (Mission, Jaws and a travel razor), a Utopia Long Handle, a Schick Krona (1 of my best shavers) and a '62 Super Speed. I mostly use RazoRock soaps, but I tried C.O. Bigello which is basically Proraso green. Once you find the right combo of razor and blade that matches your face and technique you get the best shaves you have ever had.

Ok I gotta tell you this one. I've been using a brush (boars hair )and cream to shave for a few years. I found a cream recently that comes in a plastic container with a screw on lid which makes it easy for traveling. When I got it I showed my wife. She really wasn't interested and went back to watching some wedding dress show on TV. A couple of weeks later she's going through the bathroom closet and asked what's this doing in here. I said that's my shaving cream. She said oh. I thought it was one of those car waxes of yours. Cracked me up !!

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 1955 Gillette Super Speed with a silver tip brush daily. I love Stirling shave soap and Saint Charles Shave's after shave balms. The shave is so much closer and much more comfortable.

Cool! I use a Gillette SS from that time period as well. My preferred blades are Feathers (which I buy in bulk on Amazon and Ebay). I currently using a silvertip Shavemac brush and alternate shaving creams depending on my mood. I actually skip the aftershave cream usually but may try a few out in the near future.

I have never used them but I have read about all of the old cool shaving razors & brushes on different forums...... a cool hobby indeed.

Chris, I would have definitely assumed you were an old-fashioned wet shaver!!! The parallels between auto detailing and traditional wet shaving are many - expensive to get into at first vs what you're used to, many different concoctions and brands to suit personal preferences, people that are looked at as overly OCD by non-enthusiasts, etc. Their version of a drive in car wash with brushes and dirty rags is an electric razor or a Gillette Fusion with a can of $1.99 drug store shave gel. lol

My old barber used to straight blade my neck, best shave!

I use Proraso shaving cream.  Voted world's best shaving cream.  I completely agree, this is the best shaving cream I have ever used!

Link:

Proraso

My old barber used to straight blade my neck, best shave!

I use Proraso shaving cream.  Voted world's best shaving cream.  I completely agree, this is the best shaving cream I have ever used!

Link:

Proraso

When you get a chance, try Trufitt & Hill's 1805 during the summer months.....that stuff is awesome!

The cool thing about Proraso is you could find it at Bath and Body Work stores. Kiss My Face is available at some Krogers and organic grocery stores and more reasonably priced than many others.

Been doing it for over two years now, and my face condition has greatly improved.  I got my BIL started and he loves it too.  I've tried many creams and aftershaves and I finally stuck with Prorasso, and their aftershave. Great stuff.

I've been wet shaving the old fashioned way consistently for about 5 years now and its amazing how much healthier my cheeks and especially my throat are....in the past, my throat was beat red and bumped up for days after shaving.