Customer Service 866.965.0400

2014 Black CTS

davidg65

Question

Have a 2014 CTS in black which I took delivery a few months. I happened to notice scratches, water marks, swirls/holograms all over the car. My guess the dealer installed the swirls/holograms which I didn't notice until now. What products do you recommend I use to correct this and other issues? My neighbor has a Rupes DA that I can borrow. 

Thanks for the help..

6 answers to this question

The Rupes is a great machine.  It is especially effective paired with Adam's new MF pads and PCP/PFP.  Some people say that it only works well if you use the Rupes system, but I disagree as there are many shops that use the Rupes with a number of different pads and polishes to achieve amazing results.

Have you ever used a machine to polish?  If not, the learning curve with the Rupes might be a little steeper than with a PC of Cyclo.  In my experience, the Rupes with MF pads has great cutting ability, but it also likes to produce a lot of heat.

My first suggestion would be to watch the Adam's videos and get comfortable with the process before jumping in.  Start out by washing the car and then claying it really well.  After that, make sure to tape off a test section, usually 1'x1' or 2'x2' on one of the worst parts to see how many passes of each polish you are going to have to do to achieve the results you want (obviously it will be less passes on panels that aren't as bad).  When you have achieved the level of correction that you are looking for, it is important to protect the finish.  If it is a daily driver, I recommend either just QS or QS topped with Americana, the latter is what I do on my daily driver.

With that said, here are the products that will get you to where you need to be:

Car Shampoo

Clay Bar

Detail Spray

QS/Americana

LOTS of towels

PCP

PFP

MF pads AND/OR foam pads, foam finishes down better

Pad conditioning brush, if you go with MF pads

After that, it is important to be able to maintain that finish that you just achieved, therefore, the most important investment is in a quality wash medium and at least 2 buckets.

Like I mentioned earlier, watch the videos over and over until you have a feel for the entire process.

Happy detailing!

Edited by egott_91

Erik has you on the right track. I cannot stress enough the importance of perfecting a 2x2 area before doing the rest of the car. Learning how to correct your specific paint finish in an isolated area is key in saving you time and aggravation when you start doing the entire car. More info here: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/26535-the-right-order-of-detailing-your-car/?do=findComment&comment=419029

Two door or four?  I have a CTS in white (coupe).  The thing is seriously lacking in trunk space, but otherwise a great ride. If I didn't welcome you yet,........... :welcome:

Thanks for the reply and help.

egott_91, I have use the Meguiars DA of a couple years ago. Which if I'm not mistaken its essentially a Porter Cable machine. Should I get a kit or buy individual products?

GerryC, saw the link thanks.  Will do the 1x1 or 2x2 sections 

Rich, thanks for the welcome. My CTS is 4 door luxury with all the bells and whistles on it, absolutely love it. I was going to get the V-sport model the wait for it was insane plus the dealer already pre-sold the ones they were allotted.  I also had a 2011. 

Chris05GTO, will take some pics as soon as it stops raining. How do you attach pics? 

With that said, here are the products that will get you to where you need to be:

Car Shampoo

Clay Bar

Detail Spray

QS/Americana

LOTS of towels

PCP

PFP

MF pads AND/OR foam pads, foam finishes down better

Pad conditioning brush, if you go with MF pads

---

The products are correct but the order is not how you will do the car, just so you don't get confused.

Generally the order is; wash, clay bar, polish, seal (or wax,) and done!