Customer Service 866.965.0400

Concours show prep teaser

mc2hill

My client has been building this car for many years and it is finally ready to attend its first show!  I have posted before & after shots when I polished the hood top and hood sides, but now he has moved the car from the shop to his house.  He called me this week to let me know it will be in a Concours show in a few weeks (in a prime location), and I went over today to get a detailing plan together.  

He has asked that I not post any photos of the whole car until it is unvieled to the public at this show.  But I can say that the workmanship and attention to detail on this 'tribute' car is incredible.  And pictures do not do the car justice, it is best seen in person to experience what you do see and what you do not see.

After the unvieling at the show I will create a new thread with full pictures, but for now here are a few teaser shots:

WPprep001_zps61e57757.jpg

WPprep003_zps9a1f1ab8.jpg

WPprep011_zps8db02f8e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the 2nd day of prepping this car for the Concours on 16 NOV, and we have 2 more sessions planned.  I have to say detaling an 'open' frame car is a lot of work! 

I ended up spending most of the day on the wheels and tires, but first I had to get my Lug Nut Brush and qtips to get into the nooks and crannies of the inside of the front frame.  Thinking about little spots there had been bugging me all week!

The tires are 24" tall on 12 spoke wooden wheels.  Each spoke is 4 sides of work, and the tires took some scrubbing to remove some 'gunk' so the they took about an hour each!  If we had not jacked up the car it would have been much longer on each one. 

Scrubbed the tires with APC & Tire Brush and rinsed with Rinseless Wash at wash strength in a pump-up sprayer.  Then sprayed the wheels with the Rinseless from the bottom as I slowly rotated the tire, getting all four sides of the spoke, but trying not to get anything else wet.  Cleaned the wheel with a Lug Nut Brush and medium Wheel Woolie, and wiped with a Adam's Utility Towel.  Spent about 10 minutes making sure no water spots remained.

Then applied BG to the wheels and spent about 15 mintues removing it from all the spokes and crevases.  Finally applied SVRT to both sides of the tires.

The BG made these wheels look amazing!  And the owner was beyond happy. 

Thankfully Jae loaned me his Tail Bone Creeper seat.  It was the perfect height for working on the wheels.

WPprepday2008_5_zps44196553.jpg

To finish the day I polished the access panel on the spare tire carrier, then climbed under the car and polsihed the bottom of that compartment and applied LPS under there.

The owner spent the day polishing the brass fittings on his bench polisher and working on the copper gas tank.

Last week I cleaned the whole car (minus the area around the sprockets & chains), applied BG to the powdercoated frame, and polished the painted spare tire holder.  They are applying clear bra film where the tires touch to reduce marring.

Next week is polishing the cowl, and repolishing the hoop top and sides. 

The thing that has amazed me the most about this project is that it needed to be clayed!  Not sure were it picked up the contamination, but it is on the body and exposed frame.

• 3 weeks later...

The show was yesterday and the car was a huge hit!  The first thing I heard most people say was 'Wow!'.  I have not had time to upload the pictures yet, but just to keep this teaser thread going here are a couple of short videos I shot on Saturday after we finished the final preparations.  Enjoy!

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/mc2hill/1912%20American%20Race%20Car/th_MVI_1194_zpsekvpfeth.mp4

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/mc2hill/1912%20American%20Race%20Car/th_MVI_1192_zpsf6ymw69a.mp4

The show was yesterday and the car was a huge hit!  The first thing I heard most people say was 'Wow!'.  I have not had time to upload the pictures yet, but just to keep this teaser thread going here are a couple of short videos I shot on Saturday after we finished the final preparations.  Enjoy!

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/mc2hill/1912%20American%20Race%20Car/th_MVI_1194_zpsekvpfeth.mp4

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/mc2hill/1912%20American%20Race%20Car/th_MVI_1192_zpsf6ymw69a.mp4

Ya, we're gonna need those pics.   :P