Customer Service 866.965.0400

After cracked fuel pump, my interior reeks of gasoline

mattpiper

Question

The right-side fuel pump of my 2011 Dodge Challenger (accessed under the rear seat) cracked on Friday and leaked a gallon or so of gasoline outside the vehicle... The pump has been replaced, and no fuel actually dripped onto the materials in the vehicle, and there is a plastic cap that also helped keep the fuel from getting in the interior during the leak, but man alive, it's unbearable in the vehicle right now. It's like having your nose right up to a fuel pump nozzle. It's been day 5, and no noticeable fading of the extreme smell (and yes, the leak is fixed).

I've removed as much of the soft interior materials as possible (rear seat bottom, all the floor mats, the rear cargo mat), as well as the cabin filter (which also reeks as if it had been soaked in gas; new one already ordered) and am keep the windows down as much as possible (difficult given the intermittent rain, and the smell is far too strong to keep int he garage; tried that and it was seeping into the house).

How best do I battle this? I've consider cleaning all the non-soft materials with Adam's All Purpose Cleaner (diluted as to not damage softer plastic), and then a thorough treatment of Adam's Leather Conditioner on all the plastics...

Bt what would be best for the removal of extreme gas smell from the seats, carpet, and headliner? I have a Bissel Green Machine Pro-Heat, but it's not a true hot water extractor....

As it stands, the vehicle is not able to be driven more than 3-4 minutes before you'd become ill (I was ill after driving it home from the dealer, approximately 15 minute drive).

Any help/advice help be great, and many thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.

5 answers to this question

If no gas actually made it onto the interior surfaces then you're only dealing with vapor which should be easy enough to remedy with a little baking soda. Sprinkle lightly onto carpets (when dry) then vacuum back out.

If the cabin filter absorbed that much of the odor though you might have to go more extreme and do an odor bomb. Meguiars has one now that I believe can be found in local stores and has been fairly well reviewed. Its a 2oz aerosol can that you activate, roll up the windows,  close the doors and it fogs the entire interior of your car.

I had sprinkled baking soda over every soft surface yesterday and vacuumed it up today. No change it aroma. It's now on its way back to the dealer to see if there's a leak...

I told them no deodorizing crap in my car (Febreeze and the like).I don't mind hot water extraction and an ozone treatment, but no deodorizers. Can't have my Challenger smelling like a rental car for the rest of its days.

If no gas actually made it onto the interior surfaces then you're only dealing with vapor which should be easy enough to remedy with a little baking soda. Sprinkle lightly onto carpets (when dry) then vacuum back out.

If the cabin filter absorbed that much of the odor though you might have to go more extreme and do an odor bomb. Meguiars has one now that I believe can be found in local stores and has been fairly well reviewed. Its a 2oz aerosol can that you activate, roll up the windows,  close the doors and it fogs the entire interior of your car.

They do work very well.  I recommend them.