Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing Curves..

DJJimGreen

Question

Hey all!

Newbie Jim here. I feel terrible asking newbie questions, but can't really find a search function for this forum. Maybe I'm blind? Any help would be appreciated.

As I sponge up ALL of the information I can about the detailing field, I thought it might be fun to discuss any best practices experienced folks may have with polishing curves/edges on vehicles.

I read an extension write up about detailing higher end cars and a huge stress was put on the amount of labor that goes into it, due to all of the edges and curves on those vehicles. On more "economy" vehicles, what have you run into and what do you look out for when going through a detail job?

Anything I can read further on the topic?

Thanks!

Jim

6 answers to this question

Its really not an economic level of cars thing b/c there are plenty of very curvy 'average' cars out there in the world that take some unique approaches to detail every single part.

Do you have a specific spot on a specific car that you're trying to figure out or is this just an 'in general' type thing?

Hey Jim, there is a search box at the top left of the forum, right underneath the Adam's logo. 

I knew it was something I was missing. Thanks!

Its really not an economic level of cars thing b/c there are plenty of very curvy 'average' cars out there in the world that take some unique approaches to detail every single part.

Do you have a specific spot on a specific car that you're trying to figure out or is this just an 'in general' type thing?

Definitely! I knew I couldn't catagorize cars into "economy" and "exotic" but just wanted to try to have a good example of cars with tons of lines. It was really just a "general" type thing. Nothing specific. Maybe it's a bit too general to get tips and tricks, but thought I could throw it out there. A lot of my thoughts revolved around how people polish front bumpers, for example, where there are a ton of sharp edges and smaller areas to work with. By hand? Smaller pads? .... Carefully? Haha.  Thanks in advance. :)

It's really a matter of technique and learning how to use your machine. After you get used to the machine you pick, and they do feel different in your hands when using them, you will get used to "feeling" the paint underneath the pad and will learn to lift a little up on edges and "smooth out " those corners and edges with your machine. Machines with variable speeds are great when using them on corners and edges, tapeing off emblems/sharp corners on chrome bumpers is a help as well. Pracitce, practice, practice as well as great products from Adams will make you an expert in time !!

As I've said many times before - unless you're motivated enough to start disassembling your car and/or investing in TONS of various tools there are always going to be some areas that simply can't be machine polished.

If you engage in any groups of pros on FB you'll see guys using pads down to 1" OD on pneumatic polishers to machine polish the tiniest of areas. These pads are almost entirely hand cut b/c no manufacture is making plates or pads that size.

My advice, get what you can with what you have. Most guys can feasibly have their primary tool with a 5 or 6" plate and a secondary setup or tool with a smaller 3-4" plate/pad for smaller areas, but even then you won't get everything. There will always be some areas, complex curves, strange crevice, or panel gap that just doesn't lend itself to machine work... at least not without starting to take the car apart.