Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Laptop, suggestions?

JJ Stin

Look Jerome just because you had 1 bad experience doesn't mean every Mac is bad.

A Mac is a Mac and a PC is a PC in todays world. While it stands for Personal Computer the term has become broad. Even Microsoft commercials refer to themselves as PC's and Mac's.

Apple can't please everyone and apparently you are one of them. 

A MacBook Pro should never reach the point where the metal is so hot it can bend, mainly because at 105c it will shut down on its own because thats the overheat temperature (however software that customers can install which voids the warranty can over ride this). This type of Aluminum does not bend on it's own under 500f degrees. SO that being said there was some force applied to your MacBook Pro to justify it as Accidental Damage. For a MacBook to bend on its own it would have to be above 1000f degrees, melting point is 1220f.

For ANY Notebook to get that hot you have to be pushing it way past its capable powers, not taking care of it, not cleaning it or blocking the fans.

Sorry about your bad experience with Apple but if you bent a HP or Lenovo in half they wouldn't cover it under warranty ether.

Can't please everyone.

Edited by Kingsford

Kingsford, it was not just 1 bad experience. It was a log of over 100 hours of bad experience. In doing so, I learned lots. I dealt with over 30 reps. Some were absolutely amazing, some not so much. I have personally talked to numerous people with Macs...many who had no issues have pre 2011 Macs. those with issues, have post 2011. 

I should clarify. It is not to the point of bending, but warping. It has been documented by many people. Force does not need to be applied. The seats are off balance. The fix? Ramping the computer up to max throttle and set on a flat surface . . . it usually bends (warps, whatever) back in place. It should be noted, my MBP at the time was used on a desk and nearly never moved. If it did, it was put into a padded case and a Thule notebook bag which were both bought from Apple. It was also determined by Apple no external force was applied to the notebook . . . what happened was a result solely of the notebook itself.

Thank you for your concern. I understand companies cannot please everyone . . . but my case is not the only like it. Not in my area at least. Numerous times when I went to the Genius bar, I heard the Genius' say "This is the first time I heard of this issue" when in fact the week before they said the exact same thing to me, or others.  Apple ended up investigating the store I was dealing with, not sure what happened as a result but hopefully they got improved. 

To the OP, talk to the people who will help support you when you need help. Friends, family, co-workers - these are the opinions that will matter the most as you will want people who know your computer.
In my experience with computers every computer brand will have a lemon, every computer brand will have some flaw, every computer brand will have idiosyncrasies in a similar way that cars have. Hence the recommendation that you stick with a brand that your friends tend to have, local friendly support cannot be over rated. :-)

This is actually a really good point. This is the reason a lot of people buy iphones - since a majority of people have them, if you need help...chances are someone around you in your circle knows the solution. 
Edited by HFX Detailing

I went from Linux on many different laptops. Always had issues with them. Multiple HP's, Multiple Dell's at work, and I am now on my 4th Lenovo T420 at work as well. Went and bought a macbook for personal use and haven't looked back.

If you need Windows you can dual boot or run a VM for windows. The hardware isn't really that special on Mac's anymore. They are all x86_64 architecture and can run Windows, Linux, or OSX on bare metal without issues really.

As far as physical build quality I have never been more impressed with a laptop. They are built like tanks and have excellent fit and finish. I am only a year into this one, but it gets used and thrown into the car or my backpack every day. No issues from the hardware.

Look Jerome just because you had 1 bad experience doesn't mean every Mac is bad.

A Mac is a Mac and a PC is a PC in todays world. While it stands for Personal Computer the term has become broad. Even Microsoft commercials refer to themselves as PC's and Mac's.

Apple can't please everyone and apparently you are one of them. 

A MacBook Pro should never reach the point where the metal is so hot it can bend, mainly because at 105c it will shut down on its own because thats the overheat temperature (however software that customers can install which voids the warranty can over ride this). This type of Aluminum does not bend on it's own under 500f degrees. SO that being said there was some force applied to your MacBook Pro to justify it as Accidental Damage. For a MacBook to bend on its own it would have to be above 1000f degrees, melting point is 1220f.

For ANY Notebook to get that hot you have to be pushing it way past its capable powers, not taking care of it, not cleaning it or blocking the fans.

Sorry about your bad experience with Apple but if you bent a HP or Lenovo in half they wouldn't cover it under warranty ether.

Can't please everyone.

I just did a quick google search to find out about bending macbooks. Looks like they are pre-2010 for anything I can find with that issue.

I definitely need a new laptop, I'm was using my 6-7 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows Vista. Its been a good computer, just died and its beyond fixing. Battery life was extremely bad and only had like 60 GB HD. The one I'm using currently is my grandmother's HP 2000 laptop. She hardly ever uses it, but said I could borrow it until I get a new one.

So, I need a new laptop. With saying that, should I stick to a Dell or get a HP, Lenovo or what? I rather have Windows 7, I can't stand Windows 8. Even though my Xbox One is based on that. I rather have a big screen than a small one. I least want 15.6"-17" of screen size. I've thought about getting a Mac, just too confusing and more expensive to get one. I don't have an iPhone so, I don't have to worry about that.

I pretty much surf the web, store music & photos. Need something at least decent.

Budget wise no more than $700-$800 max. What do you guys use & recommend?

Thanks in advance!  

P.S. I do have a Dell Latitude 5000 series picked out so far.....still wondering what I should get still.

Ahhh I remember this problem. Had an acer that lasted the same amount of time... Anyway, i switched from a PC to mac and I gotta say I love it. BUT I hear that the new tablet/ laptop (surface pro 3) is quite a computer itself. Ive never used one, but from what I've heard from people that have used them, they're pretty damn good. 

As a mac owner, great battery life, quick response, lightweight (even for the mac book pro) and its VERY easy to learn new things from it, especially with the command button. 

Hope this helped!

OP, unfortunately, many threads like this becoming pissing matches. It is not uncommon to see people arguing aimlessly about one experience or another when someone simply makes a recommendation.

I will tell you that based on my experience, which includes 15 years in the industry and 5 years running my own IT consulting company, all brands experience failures. Don't accept one person's endless complaints as a sign about a brand. Over the years I've seen everything from dead on arrival to spontaneous failure of redundant hardware on $30,000 servers with every brand. Quality of service is what really matters and I think Apple and Dell excel at the issue.

For this thread, I think the best advice that I have seen  is to talk to friends/IT people that will help you if you have computer problems. If the assistants are most comfortable with one technology you may be better off with it.

Moving on to recommendations, I think you would be happy with either a Mac or a Dell. I'd be happy to recommend models, but I would need to know more about how you plan on using the laptop. How many hours per day is the computer used? Other than web surfing, what sort of software do you use? Do you use your computer for watching a lot of media (netflix, you tube, other)? Do you store a lot of photos, videos and music on your computer? Do you travel a lot with the laptop or does it sit in the house?

As an alternative recommendation, have you considered a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have several clients buying these for mobile employees and so far all of the employees love the units. I will acknowledge that I have a seen a few issues with the devices with mounting of USB drives and one unit that was very troublesome, but replaced by Microsoft after a few days of support calls. One additional thing is that I do not think that a Surface Pro will last as long as a full blown laptop, but I don't have empirical evidence to prove it.

Full Disclosure: I'm a Dell reseller and sell their units every day. That said, I cannot sell to you or make money off any Dell purchase that you make.

OP, unfortunately, many threads like this becoming pissing matches. It is not uncommon to see people arguing aimlessly about one experience or another when someone simply makes a recommendation.

I will tell you that based on my experience, which includes 15 years in the industry and 5 years running my own IT consulting company, all brands experience failures. Don't accept one person's endless complaints as a sign about a brand. Over the years I've seen everything from dead on arrival to spontaneous failure of redundant hardware on $30,000 servers with every brand. Quality of service is what really matters and I think Apple and Dell excel at the issue.

For this thread, I think the best advice that I have seen  is to talk to friends/IT people that will help you if you have computer problems. If the assistants are most comfortable with one technology you may be better off with it.

Moving on to recommendations, I think you would be happy with either a Mac or a Dell. I'd be happy to recommend models, but I would need to know more about how you plan on using the laptop. How many hours per day is the computer used? Other than web surfing, what sort of software do you use? Do you use your computer for watching a lot of media (netflix, you tube, other)? Do you store a lot of photos, videos and music on your computer? Do you travel a lot with the laptop or does it sit in the house?

As an alternative recommendation, have you considered a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have several clients buying these for mobile employees and so far all of the employees love the units. I will acknowledge that I have a seen a few issues with the devices with mounting of USB drives and one unit that was very troublesome, but replaced by Microsoft after a few days of support calls. One additional thing is that I do not think that a Surface Pro will last as long as a full blown laptop, but I don't have empirical evidence to prove it.

Full Disclosure: I'm a Dell reseller and sell their units every day. That said, I cannot sell to you or make money off any Dell purchase that you make.

Well from everyone has been saying that, they have went to a PC to Mac has highly been impressed and they like em a lot. I think I might go that route now. It might take longer to save up for one, but I think its worth it.

I only use the laptop for anywhere 1-4 hours a day, some days I don't even use it. I don't watch Netfllix or YouTube too much, I do watch some YT videos some. Mostly I watch Netflix and YT on my Xbox One. Also, my laptop is a stay at home laptop. I hardly ever use for travel wise unless I'm going to my moms or grandparents to spend the night. But, mostly use my phone when I'm there.

I don't game at all on my laptops, usually surf the web, forums, upload pictures/videos, online shopping. store music and photos.

So, what do you suggest? Least want an 15 inch screen.

Well from everyone has been saying that, they have went to a PC to Mac has highly been impressed and they like em a lot. I think I might go that route now. It might take longer to save up for one, but I think its worth it.

I only use the laptop for anywhere 1-4 hours a day, some days I don't even use it. I don't watch Netfllix or YouTube too much, I do watch some YT videos some. Mostly I watch Netflix and YT on my Xbox One. Also, my laptop is a stay at home laptop. I hardly ever use for travel wise unless I'm going to my moms or grandparents to spend the night. But, mostly use my phone when I'm there.

I don't game at all on my laptops, usually surf the web, forums, upload pictures/videos, online shopping. store music and photos.

The screen is all personal preference. Personally, I think 15 inch is the perfect size. 13 is too small for me, 17 is too big. 15 seems just right.

On a 13 I find web browsing, doing research, and other stuff is cumbersome. It is just too small at times. It is manageable, but for me it was too small. I feel very comfortable with a 15.

I have owned many laptops, ranging from 12-17 inch. My favorite was 15. 

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Forgot to mention. If you go mac, look out for Mac App Bundles. They happen once every few months. This is an old one for example: https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-mac-bundle-2-0

You get a bunch of apps for a small price. When I had my Mac I went this route once. Thought I would only use 1 of the apps but ended up using quite a few. I got about 7 apps for the price of 1 and some went unused...some I used daily.

Sometimes you can get a bundle that has parallels in it which is a huge plus if you need to run windows virtually. 

The bundle I got before had Boom in it which allows you to boost the volume of the mac. It also had a bill tracking software, word processor, and a few others. I mainly wanted it for boom and snagit (AMAZING screen capture software. I HIGHLY recommend it).

Edited by HFX Detailing

If you're set on the 15" screen, the base MacBook Pro 15" is the way to go. Before you purchase it, I highly recommend that you check out the 13" MacBook Pro in the flesh. Try watching videos and surfing on the 13" model in store or using a friends to see if you really need/want the 15" screen. The 15" model is really overpowered for your needs and if you can use a 13" model it is a great way to save money. In addition, I personally find the 13" model comfortable for every day use. The screen is really crisp and easy to read. I personally use my 13" macbook pro (1 of 3 computers I use on a daily basis) for about 11- 12 hours a day. I spend this time reading terminals, coding, writing documents and watching videos. Not once have I ever regretted the smaller screen. Granted for about 6 hours a day I'm using the laptop with 2 x 23" external monitors.

An additional Apple  recommendation would be to check out Apple's refurbished store. The refurbished store is a great way to save a few hundred dollars on a fully supported recent generation computer.

Finally, if you do buy a Mac, please buy an external hard drive (not directly from Apple to save money) and use it for time machine backups. Using time machine is great tool for backing up your system (I don't think it is enough of a solution, but that is an entirely different topic).

The screen is all personal preference. Personally, I think 15 inch is the perfect size. 13 is too small for me, 17 is too big. 15 seems just right.

On a 13 I find web browsing, doing research, and other stuff is cumbersome. It is just too small at times. It is manageable, but for me it was too small. I feel very comfortable with a 15.

I have owned many laptops, ranging from 12-17 inch. My favorite was 15. 

Sometimes you can get a bundle that has parallels in it which is a huge plus if you need to run windows virtually. 

The bundle I got before had Boom in it which allows you to boost the volume of the mac. It also had a bill tracking software, word processor, and a few others. I mainly wanted it for boom and snagit (AMAZING screen capture software. I HIGHLY recommend it).

Thats what I always thought also. My friend has the 13" and I like it a lot. But, I would like the 15", 2 extra inches doesn't sound like much, but it definitely is on a laptop. Yeah, I heard you can run windows on it? How is that possible? Like you can use Microsoft Word and such like that?

If you're set on the 15" screen, the base MacBook Pro 15" is the way to go. Before you purchase it, I highly recommend that you check out the 13" MacBook Pro in the flesh. Try watching videos and surfing on the 13" model in store or using a friends to see if you really need/want the 15" screen. The 15" model is really overpowered for your needs and if you can use a 13" model it is a great way to save money. In addition, I personally find the 13" model comfortable for every day use. The screen is really crisp and easy to read. I personally use my 13" macbook pro (1 of 3 computers I use on a daily basis) for about 11- 12 hours a day. I spend this time reading terminals, coding, writing documents and watching videos. Not once have I ever regretted the smaller screen. Granted for about 6 hours a day I'm using the laptop with 2 x 23" external monitors.

An additional Apple  recommendation would be to check out Apple's refurbished store. The refurbished store is a great way to save a few hundred dollars on a fully supported recent generation computer.

Finally, if you do buy a Mac, please buy an external hard drive (not directly from Apple to save money) and use it for time machine backups. Using time machine is great tool for backing up your system (I don't think it is enough of a solution, but that is an entirely different topic).

Man thats a LONG time to spend in front of a computer, shew I never did that before. I think my longest time being on a computer at once is like maybe 5 hours? Just surfing all the different forums and such lol

I hear a lot of people have very good luck the Mac refurbished store. So, I'm not too worried on that part. I think later today or Sunday, I'm going to play on my friends Macbook Pro. To see how I like it.

You can run windows either through a virtual machine, while mac osx is running. Or, boot camp. You can toggle between windows and osx on starting the ckmputer... both have advantages. You can get microsoft word for OSX, no need for Windows. Sometimes you run into programs that only work on windows and that's when parallels (it's not the only option. There are others) to run windows. Depending on needs, this might never occur. If you can get parallels for cheap, it's worth getting just incase.

EDIT: To clarify, Boot Camp and Virtual Machine are two different things. Parallels is one way to run a virtual machine of windows. This is typically powerful enough for many things (I used it for photoshop fine).

Boot camp option is built into OSX (the new ones atleast, not sure about old). It does not require buying parallels.

In both instances, you need a copy of windows.

Edited by HFX Detailing

Well went to my Moms yesterday and I got a new laptop, wasn't expecting that for Christmas.
So, I don't have to worry about buying one now! Even though I wanted a Macbook, they got me a Dell laptop that I like a lot. Even though it has Windows 8.1. Guess I can't be too picky, huh? haha

Well went to my Moms yesterday and I got a new laptop, wasn't expecting that for Christmas.

So, I don't have to worry about buying one now! Even though I wanted a Macbook, they got me a Dell laptop that I like a lot. Even though it has Windows 8.1. Guess I can't be too picky, huh? haha

With Windows 10 coming out in the near future (summer??) I wouldn't be too worried. Hopefully 8.1 gets a free/discounted upgrade.

I learned to live with 8.1. I hate and never use metro. I always use desktop version. But yes...8.1 is a pain BUT I prefer many of its features over its predecessors.

Try the Dell for a bit. If you are still set on a Macbook...you could always trade up later (which means better specs vs. buying now ;) )

Windows 8.1 is a lot better than Windows 8 haha.

Just gives you more time to save for a new MBP. Before I got my MBP I had 3 Dells and an HP.

Good Deal can not complain about getting a computer for Christmas. That lets you save that money for your vehicle.

MacBook or nothing man.

My iMac is 6 years old and runs like a brand new computer. Can't say the same for friends with windows based laptops and PC's.

My wife's MacBook is approx 8 yrs old and besides needing to transfer the hard drive to a backup since it was getting full, it still runs pretty good to be honest. I'd like to get her more memory in it, but to be honest I probably won't need to replace it for another 2 years at most.

Once you go Apple you rarely go back in my opinion, the added cost is worth it

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a cheap Toshiba yesterday - $329 at Best Buy.  15.6" widescreen, DVD writer, AMD A8, 4 GB memory, 500 GB HD,  I spent some time yesterday making it look like Windows 7, and now it is much easier to use.  So far I am happy.  Not sure how long the battery will last, but at this price a couple of replacements will still leave me at about $500.