Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Laptop, suggestions?

JJ Stin

I definitely need a new laptop, I'm was using my 6-7 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows Vista. Its been a good computer, just died and its beyond fixing. Battery life was extremely bad and only had like 60 GB HD. The one I'm using currently is my grandmother's HP 2000 laptop. She hardly ever uses it, but said I could borrow it until I get a new one.

So, I need a new laptop. With saying that, should I stick to a Dell or get a HP, Lenovo or what? I rather have Windows 7, I can't stand Windows 8. Even though my Xbox One is based on that. I rather have a big screen than a small one. I least want 15.6"-17" of screen size. I've thought about getting a Mac, just too confusing and more expensive to get one. I don't have an iPhone so, I don't have to worry about that.

I pretty much surf the web, store music & photos. Need something at least decent.
Budget wise no more than $700-$800 max. What do you guys use & recommend?
Thanks in advance!  
P.S. I do have a Dell Latitude 5000 series picked out so far.....still wondering what I should get still.

I would stick with the Dell.   I have had great luck with them my past two computers at home have been Dell.  I use an HP at work and the IT Department knows me very well.  I was told if they work on the HP again they are sending it back to HP for new replacement.  I ended up just purchasing three monitors and hooked them up to the docking station so that I can have a large screen. 

Love my Mac Book Pro Retina.  Confusing at first, but wouldn't go back to a Windows run computer.  In fact trying to convince the wife to get an Apple desktop.  Maybe after she uses my laptop enough and sees that it still runs as fast as it did the day it come out of the box, she will relent.

More than what your willing to pay, but you get what you pay for.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by LFairbanks

another vote for MacBook. a lot of people frown on macs bc of their price tag but it's safe to say they are like the Cadillac of computers. I've had mine for going on 5 years and zero problems, I love it.

I am researching laptops myself.  Looks like Windows 10 will not be available until later in 2015, so I was very pleased to see Windows 7 is still available.  

I am looking to replace a cheap 9 year old Toshiba laptop (battery replaced once, now plug-in only), but it worked great until a week ago.  The Toshiba's was my son's in high school, but we got him a Macbook Pro for college.  His is 5 years old, and I just got him a new battery.  He has replaced the charger once or twice.  For work I have a Dell laptop (typing on it now) and it works fine too.

My thing is you get what you pay for...they all work about the same, but the more you spend the better battery you get - longer operating time and longer life.  The Mac's have amazing batteries, but that adds to their price.  

I've had my MacBook Pro since the summer of 2010 and haven't had one single issue with it! You might think the OS on Macs is difficult, but in reality it is one of the most simple operating systems you'll find. Also, the OS upgrade for Macs are a free download from the App Store, unlike Windows were it's however much to install a worse OS (ie Windows 8)

I absolutely can't stand Windows 8. You're able to find a few computers with Windows 7 still installed on them, but there aren't many.

I haven't researched computers in awhile because I don't think I'll need a new one for a few years. After using a MacBook, I don't think I could go back to a Windows based computer. However, if I were, I'd probably go with Dell.

Jordan, Not sure if you have really looked at the Mac's.  But here are a couple of links.  You can get a Macbook Air for just a little over your top end.  Although the screen is tiny IMO.  In your post you mentioned that Mac's were confusing.  I must admit that at first it was for me as well.  Now, I can't do Windows.  Super easy to figure out after a while.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Unlike everyone else, I don't mind Windows 8, and bought a Lenovo Y500 two years ago, and it's been great for me! If you want to stay Windows based, I would wait for 10 to come out, or go the Mac route.

Everyone can input their opinions here, and you'll end up with a great laptop with all of the solutions posted above. Based on your usage, get something with 4GB of ram, and 1TB of hard drive space and you should be set!

MacBook Pro all the way! Went Mac a few years back and have never regretted it. If you look at Macs look at buying a refurb from Apples website. They are usually discounted 15-30%. Every product I own from Apple is a refurb and never had an issue, same warranty as new ones. I may also know a guy that has a few Apple Certifications if you need help or have questions shoot me a PM lol

If you don't like Macs get a high end HP or Lenovo. Remember with a PC you get what you pay for. If you go to Best Buy and buy some $400 machine it'll crap out way sooner. Oh and if you do go to Best Buy don't let Geek Squad touch it.

Edited by Kingsford

I know Dell service can be a pain but I find if there is anything you need done going thru chat on their website seems to work a lot better. I had a problem with my Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet and chatted with a guy on the site and the next day there was a technician at my house for warranty work. Also Windows 8.1 is a great OS. If you are going by the early reports of Windows 8 not being at all like Windows 7 after the update to 8.1 you can still have the same type of desktop as Windows 7. Also if you have Windows 8.1 on all of your systems if you want you can have them connect to each other and they will automatically always update to work the same on all of your systems. After about a month of using Windows 8 and when I go back to Windows 7 I feel a little lost. You can have problems with all of the manufacturers so I like the Dells and HP's for portable type systems. The one thing about Mac is your programs that you already have. Will they run on that system. Nothing wrong with Mac's it's just that they are so proprietary I cannot work on them as well as working on other systems as far as upgrading and replacing my own parts out of warrant. Plus they charge you an arm and a leg for service. JMO

Edited by BluedogGMC

Macs are really easy to replace parts on your own. iFixit.com sells practically any part for a wide variety of Macs. They also offer step by step tear downs with pictures for every step. Don't let service and fixability scare you away from a Mac.

It's very simple to upgrade RAM or Hard Drive on Macs. Some of the newer models though have the RAM soldered on though (not a fan). Some dont. If you got the way of the Mac research that first but I'd recommend getting what you want and need in the future in any computer. Lots of PC's are starting to solder stuff to the boards too to save space.

Plus if you get the extended warranty (highly recommended) it's covered for 3 years. 

Average PC lifespan is 3 years. Average Mac lifespan is 5.

We have over 700 computers at my work. 90% are Mac. 10% are PC. All the same age. We have more issues with the 10% of PC's.

Edited by Kingsford

Plus if you get the extended warranty (highly recommended) it's covered for 3 years. 

Here is my opinion on extended warranties.  Not worth it.  When I was young I bought one for some furniture.  Salesman made it sound like it covered everything.  Screwdriver in your pocket, your kid draws on it, everything.  It was covered.  My wife when she and I moved in together her (censored) cat thought that the corners where a scratching post.   Went to make a claim. "Oh it covers everything but animal damage."  

I even had a cousin that worked at an electronics retailer years ago and he said that those places make a majority of their money off of accessories and warranties.  And I believe it.  Especially after I researched and found out how much and HDMI cord or a CF card cost online as opposed to an electronics retailer.  Identical items.  If it doesn't make it past the manufactures warranty do some research and upgrade.

I always buy an extended warranty. My previous Mac cost me $125 for an extended warranty. I had to have the LCD replaced. If I wouldn't have had the warranty it would have cost me $475, but instead really cost me $125.

Worth it or not you decide... I say its worth it.

Regardless... Apple, HP, Dell, Lenovo... parts go bad. Thats why I have a job I see it every day and I get to tell people every day that they have to pay out of pocket because they didn't spend the extra for the extended warranty. I get to argue a lot.

If that were to happen to me, it would be the first and last time that I bought that particular product.  Haven't had any issues passing on an extended warranty.  If your handy there isn't much that can't be fixed.  Probably have saved thousands through out my life time. 

I had a warranty on a 65" television that I have in my basement.  They call it the flashing green light of death.  Warranty company come out and my wife told the technician what I thought it was.  After a few minutes he tells the wife that he will be back in about 10 days, and it looks like "your husband did his homework".  10 days come and go.  I call to see what is going on.  This was a Tuesday.  They proceed to tell me that they just order the parts and it will be another 10-15 days before they get the parts and can come back out.  Ordered the capacitors myself Tuesday night.  They showed up Friday.  30 minutes of work and soldering.  Put it all back together and TV still works to this day.  

Repair company called to schedule repair.  I told them that I fixed it 10 days earlier for $1.40.  Called warranty company to make sure they didn't pay them for the repair.  

Not saying things don't go bad.  But from my experience it is just money out the window.  If the manufacturers warranty isn't sufficient it isn't worth buying.  Can I ask how your screen went bad?  Did you break it?  I know the salesman in his pitch to sell me an extended warranty that it is a common problem from improper use.

Issue there sounds like it was with a "Warranty Company" and not the company. Talking computers, Apple, HP, Lenovo, Dell (sometimes) all have great customer service many of which have moved back to the USA. Not buying an extended warranty on something like a $2500 MacBook Pro is down right uncalled for. It's like insuring all the parts from defects for 3 years.

Jordan don't let anyone talk you out of a factory warranty. If you don't want it you don't want it but if YOU think its a good idea don't let someone make you think otherwise. As a certified HP and Apple Technician I highly recommend getting one if the computer costs over $1000.

You'll pay a little more than $800 but the Dell Precision Laptop are fantastic. I got a Dell Precision M4500 with i7 extreme processor and SSD when it was first released, have never had a problem with it. It's still a powerhouse machine to this day, no issues what so ever. You could possibly find a used one. If you don't want to go the used route, I say stick with Dell. Nothing wrong with Mac's, just my personal preference to use a PC.

I highly recommend you get a business class laptop. Most of the recommendations here are for consumer class. The HP Probook or Elitebook is the way to go. They are built to last.

I have owned many laptops. 2 Acers, a HP Pavilion, MSI, Macbook Pro, and a few others. Let me tell you, they were all crap compared to my Hp Probook. I picked up a used probook for pretty cheap. It has all the bells and whistles. It even has a drip tray incase you spill liquid onto the laptop (so there is a good chance it survives).

I do not believe you need extended warranty on a laptop. If you  need the warranty, it is not built to last. Buy it from costco, or use a visa if you need extra warranty. Most warranties are not worth the paper they were made on. There are so many loop holes that make it impossible to get service when you actually need it.

I Macbook I ended up needed repairs on it about 7 times. It had similar issues every time. I had the extended warranty, and it did not help at all. Most extended warranties cover the basics, and do not cover any extras.

If there is a remote chance you dropped the laptop, got water on it, anything out of the norm...you are not covered (under most warranties). 

You don't want the warranty. What you want is to make sure it is covered under your insurance. That is what will protect you the most. I had a $500 deductible on my laptop - most warranties range from $200-$400 anyways. Difference is, I was covered for everything. Theft. Disappearance. Damage due to dropping. Anything really. You have more piece of mind this way, and most people are automatically covered if they have house insurance. Just check your deductible and any terms (such as needing to let them know you own a laptop now). 

I would not recommend any Macbook. You are paying a huge premium and you do not even get a business class laptop. The recent Macbooks are terrible build quality. They have had numerous recalls and issues int he recent years. The quality has gone downhill and they are not worth the money anymore. 

When I brought my Macbook on the bus, I feared it getting damaged. When I bring my probook I am pretty fearless. The thing is a tank. 

You could get a used Probook or Elitebook for under $500 and it will surpass new laptops by far in terms of build quality. My probook is probably about 5 years old, it still works as new. I can do everything I need on it as it is more than powerful enough. I can do photo editing, FB, games, website design, and programming. 

Thanks for all the replies, guys! It seems like a lot of you like the Macbooks, but some seem to like the higher up PCs, Now, all this is just confusing at me for now. Now, my couple of my best friends have Macbooks. One has a Macbook that is like 5 years old and it works great. He loves it. Back in the Summer, my other friend has a Macbook Pro that he loves to death. So, the quality and stuff has to be pretty good, ya know?

Also I cruise the Internet, forums, youtube, upload videos/pictures, music, the typical stuff. So I don't need nothing extreme, with all this, I just don't want a small screen like the Macbook Air 13", just too small for me. I least want 15".

Thanks for all the replies, guys! It seems like a lot of you like the Macbooks, but some seem to like the higher up PCs, Now, all this is just confusing at me for now. Now, my couple of my best friends have Macbooks. One has a Macbook that is like 5 years old and it works great. He loves it. Back in the Summer, my other friend has a Macbook Pro that he loves to death. So, the quality and stuff has to be pretty good, ya know?

Also I cruise the Internet, forums, youtube, upload videos/pictures, music, the typical stuff. So I don't need nothing extreme, with all this, I just don't want a small screen like the Macbook Air 13", just too small for me. I least want 15".

I do not recommend you judge a macbook by how they use to be. Pre 2011 macbooks rocked. Post 2011, the build quality is terrible.

Spend some time reading up on Radeongate - apple serious messed up here (http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/17/2011-macbook-pro-gpu-complaints-not-going-away-as-petition-reaches-18k-signatures/)

Apple can be deceptive and this lead to potential lawsuits with switching samsung screens with lower-performing LG's (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/15/apple-faces-class-action-lawsuit-over-screen-ghosting-on-retina-macbook-pros/)

Apple case recall (https://www.apple.com/support/macbook-bottomcase/)

It is worth noting, if a recall does happen, usually it is long after people have already paid to fix the unit themselves or they no longer have the unit...they also went through in most cases many hours argueing with apple where apple blames the user (when in fact later, the recall proves otherwise).

Macbook Air Flash Storage Issue (https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookair-flashdrive/)

The above of just the tip of the ice berg.

Make sure you do your research before you buy your computer...I would hate to see someone go through what I did with my Macbook.

I do not recommend you judge a macbook by how they use to be. Pre 2011 macbooks rocked. Post 2011, the build quality is terrible.

Complete lie and total opposite. Pre 2010 Apple used a ton of plastic parts and had all plastic MacBooks and some MacBook Pros. Today Apple doesn't even make a plastic notebook. The first above recall is for a plastic MacBook which is no longer made.

The plastic MacBook's had high failure rates in hinges, chipping plastic, bad keyboards, bad batteries, and so on. That is NOT an issue today. As technology has advanced issues have declined with Apple. Thats not to say parts don't go wrong but mainly Hard Drives go bad but thats on other companies that make that part and the user for moving the unit while the drive is spinning.

All MacBook Pro's today are high quality unibody aluminum. The brackets inside are all aluminum. The hinges for the LCD are forged aluminum. Only plastic in MacBook Pros today is battery and Speaker parts.

As for the 2nd recall posted above, Apple has ton of recalls and replacement programs. HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc do not have replacement programs for stuff like this unless it is court ordered. Some of Apple's recalls come from the courts but most don't. Apple Techs get together and discuss on special forums on Apple's website about parts that experience high failure rates. I am actually heading up a Quality Program for Hard Drive Cables with Apple right now as the tech that brought up the issue. 

Apple's replacement programs cover devices that aren't even under warranty any more, other companies don't do this.

If you have any more Apple questions let me know in a PM since people here like to give negative feedback on stuff they don't know a lot about.

I'd like to add I have in my office a MacBook Pro from 2005 and a PowerBook 5300 (1996) that still function and work.

Edited by Kingsford

I am a little shocked. The misinformation here is glowing. 

OP, it is hard to take someone seriously who has the balls to say:

If you have any more Apple questions let me know in a PM since people here like to give negative feedback on stuff they don't know a lot about.

Followed by

If YOU want a Mac get a Mac. If you want a PC then get a PC.

Anyone who refers to a Mac as a Mac, and a PC as a PC, clearly does not know what they are talking about. You know a Mac is a PC (Personal Computer), right?

All MacBook Pro's today are high quality unibody aluminum. The brackets inside are all aluminum. The hinges for the LCD are forged aluminum. Only plastic in MacBook Pros today is battery and Speaker parts.

Just because they can, does not mean they should. The aluminum design works against them. The case can actually bend. Because some of these macs get up to 105 degrees Celsius, they bend quite easily. Mine was one of them. This aluminum design you boast about, led to my screen hinges (which you also seem to think was a good idea) shifted and my whole screen had to be replaced. 

Since we are talking about lies, this one is golden:

As for the 2nd recall posted above, Apple has ton of recalls and replacement programs. HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc do not have replacement programs for stuff like this unless it is court ordered. 

Lenovo for example, not only voluntarily recalled some of their batteries but did so regardless of warranty. HP recalled a bunch of their power cords. The difference? They usually contact their customers...Apple does not. I personally know people affected by some of Apple Recalls and they had no clue there was a recall.

As for "Apple has ton of recalls and replacement programs" actually, no. People have to fight for Apple to respond. Apple acts like there is never anything wrong with their product, just like you are right now. Why do you think they cover up their updates? Simple - to make it look like their product never had any issues. When they have a SMC update for example, or security update, the old version is overidden on their site never to be found unless it is backed up on a third party site (such as a tech news site or forum). This makes it look like Apple never has issues (which they do have issues). It is one reason in my opinion people believe Apple never has issues in security - when infact, in the 1 year I owned my Mac, nearly every update address security issues . . . some of them being major (allowing for man in the middle attacks).

As technology has advanced issues have declined with Apple

It is fact that about 1 in 3 laptops fail, pretty much regardless of the laptop (http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf) however it is what the company does with such failures. Apple has failed in handling failures, time and time again. There are literal thousands of posts of unsatisfied customers regarding Apple. Sure, every company has it...but Apple comes out on top with always blaming the customer.

Show me proof issues have declined with Apple. From what I have seen, Apple has more issues now than they use to.

Thats not to say parts don't go wrong but mainly Hard Drives go bad but thats on other companies that make that part and the user for moving the unit while the drive is spinning.

That is why my Probook has a drive guard that stops the hard drive from spinning. Maybe Apple should use some better techniques.

TO OP

It is your decision in the end. All I can say is, research, research, research. Do not take any persons word on it without research (including my own word). As you can tell from mine and Kingsford post . . . people can have outrageously different opinions. If you take either mine or his recommendation by itself, you are not making a informed decision. If 10 people tell you one laptop is good, there is always 10 others out there that will vouch against that laptop. 

That makes the decision hard, but know, in the end, nearly any laptop you buy will suite your needs. Taking care of the laptop matters the most. It is like Detailing. With the exact same tools, 10 detailers can have crazy different results.

Best of luck!

Edited by HFX Detailing

To the OP, talk to the people who will help support you when you need help. Friends, family, co-workers - these are the opinions that will matter the most as you will want people who know your computer.

In my experience with computers every computer brand will have a lemon, every computer brand will have some flaw, every computer brand will have idiosyncrasies in a similar way that cars have. Hence the recommendation that you stick with a brand that your friends tend to have, local friendly support cannot be over rated. :-)