Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams is awesome!

Masonr97

Question

I am 17 years old and have really fell for the whole detailing thing hard! I've always been the kind to like a clean vehicle but when I found Adams it was like a whole different world! (And my truck looks amazing ever since). I'm saying all that to say, I've worked up to detailing on the weekends and landed a spot with a gentleman in town detailing his Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 2 vettes, and wife's mercedes. He wants a full detail on all of them, and I have the equipment to provide what he wants, what I'm trying to ask is what should I charge? Being a non-professional, 17 year old, I guess I have to take that in to consideration...he wants to pay me per vehicle. Any opinions?

8 answers to this question

I usually charge hourly plus supply costs depending on what the customer wants. Paint correction is always hourly.

Interior detail is usually 2 different tiers depending if they want all the carpets shampooed or not, and how hammered the interior is.

Engine cleaning I usually throw in with a full exterior job or it's a $40 add on with my AIO jobs.

Good luck with your new venture but just be sure to communicate with your customer what he wants and want you can accomplish with what he's willing to pay.

Then you can hopefully pick him up for maintenance details every 3 months or so.

Yes I include the interior, shampoo and all...the client didn't want under the hood detailed and I do not have a polisher yet, but I do wash, clay, hand polish, glaze, and I top with Americana or Patriot. Any tips for detailing for pay?

To really be able to correct paint finish and completely detail a vehicles exterior you need to get a machine polisher. Don't scrimp, get the best bang for your buck, and it should perform what you need it to do, and last a long time. It cuts down on time to complete tasks, finishes paint the right way, and should lead to more opportunities as time goes on.

Wow.......congrats on learning the ropes of this addiction at such a young age. When I was 17, my detailing of my vehicle was limited to Meguiars Cleaner Wax available at Walmart and getting yelled at for using the nice bath towels to dry my car. Lol.

I'd advice you to make sure you are comfortable using a DA polisher and various types of pads before you commit to any sort of paint correction on the rock hard clear coat of most Porsches. I literally can't imagine how many hours of hand polishes it would take let alone the weeks of massages afterwards for your back and arms!!

I'd recommend rolling your supply cost into your hourly rate - who is going to actually measure out how much of each product they used and turn around and charge for it. Figure out what you are worth (labor) per hour then do a rough estimate of cost on how much of each product you use on the average job and roll that into your rate.

Makes it easier for you as well as easier for your customer to understand. 

In terms of the rate to charge - hard to say. Location, market, your skills, the quality of work and a lot of other things come into play. I would also advise you to start looking at setting up a legitimate business (license and insurance) if you plan to make this a regular thing.