Customer Service 866.965.0400

question about sealing/glazing/waxing

Z06Seal

Question

ok, so few quick questions while I wait for my car to arrive (being built any day now) and my products to arrive...

I will have a garage queen C7 (maybe 5-6K miles a year) in south FL. my plan is when dealer gets it, I will tell them not to wash it. I will take it home myself and wash it myself followed by a clay. I then plan on doing paint finishing polish. Now I was gonna skip liquid paint seal, but I have decided I will put this on as sometimes I don't take care of my cars as much as I'd like to...

now my question is this: my plan of layering is (after clayed and polished)

glaze by hand > sealed by PC > buttery waxed by hand

from what I see the LPS doesn't require a curing time, but what about the glazing? I didn't see any cure times for it. and knowing it's somewhat of a watery substance, I suppose there might be things that might need to evaporate after it's wiped off. 

next question - how easy does the glaze come off? can I do the entire car, then take it all off, or should I do panel at a time and take it off. same thing goes for LPS and buttery wax...

Thanks!

I'm still contemplating about the liquid paint seal. I feel like I'm adding unnecessary time and step to a car that will be driven maybe couple hundred miles a month in nice weather.

9 answers to this question

Seal the car first.  Sealants bond best to bare paint.  Next use the glaze.  It goes on extremely thin and has no cure time.  It is also very easy to remove.  I would do one panel at a time and by the time you finish glazing the panel, it will be ready to remove.  Then go ahead and wax it.

The sealant can be removed after you seal the whole car.  With buttery wax, I'd personally remove it panel by panel.

Edited by SYMAWD

In my experience the sealant and the glaze can both be applied to the entire car before removal.  Both are easy to remove but the glaze is VERY easy.

I usually let the sealant sit (after buffing off) for an hour or so before applying the glaze.

Top with Americana or Patriot for the ultimate shine.

Most will tell you to seal first but I always glaze first.  It is a solvent so it will take away oils on your paint plus it has fillers in it so it will make any imperfection less noticeable.  I glaze first because glaze is taken off very easily and I would rather protect it and make it last longer than having it washed away.  Also glaze does not effect the sealant sealing to the car and has no effect on the longevity of the sealant so to me it only makes sense to glaze first if you are going to use it. 

Most will tell you to seal first but I always glaze first.  It is a solvent so it will take away oils on your paint plus it has fillers in it so it will make any imperfection less noticeable.  I glaze first because glaze is taken off very easily and I would rather protect it and make it last longer than having it washed away.  Also glaze does not effect the sealant sealing to the car and has no effect on the longevity of the sealant so to me it only makes sense to glaze first if you are going to use it.

BG still leaves stuff behind though. Also, the sealant will still have the same imperfections as the bare paint, so BG will still fill them in to a degree. The Buttery Wax also has filling capabilities. While BG does contain solvents, it's not enough to significantly affect the durability of Liquid Paint Sealant. I believe putting the longest lasting product on first is most beneficial.

ok, so few quick questions while I wait for my car to arrive (being built any day now) and my products to arrive...

I will have a garage queen C7 (maybe 5-6K miles a year) in south FL. my plan is when dealer gets it, I will tell them not to wash it. I will take it home myself and wash it myself followed by a clay. I then plan on doing paint finishing polish. Now I was gonna skip liquid paint seal, but I have decided I will put this on as sometimes I don't take care of my cars as much as I'd like to...

If the reason you're adding sealant to the mix is for durability, flip the order of the glaze and the sealant. (Sealant first, then glaze) By putting glaze down first your significantly shortening the longevity of the sealant, and to that end whats the point of sealing if you're not doing it for the durability. You can do it the other way, but the benefits are largely lost.

from what I see the LPS doesn't require a curing time, but what about the glazing? I didn't see any cure times for it. and knowing it's somewhat of a watery substance, I suppose there might be things that might need to evaporate after it's wiped off. 

Like anything in the wax, sealant, or glaze family - wait for it to haze, then buff off. Thats it.

next question - how easy does the glaze come off? can I do the entire car, then take it all off, or should I do panel at a time and take it off. same thing goes for LPS and buttery wax...

Its the easiest thing to remove of any of the products you have listed... it really won't put up much of a fight at all. The weight of your hand with a towel and a light wipe and its done.

I'm still contemplating about the liquid paint seal. I feel like I'm adding unnecessary time and step to a car that will be driven maybe couple hundred miles a month in nice weather.

If the cars going to be pampered theres not much point to it. I don't fuss with sealant on vehicles that don't see daily exposure (my C10 for example). Its not like wax doesn't provide any protection, you still will have more than enough protection from a wax on the surface for a car that only sees occasional use and exposure.

While there is no harm in adding the sealant, the benefit for a car thats more 'toy' than commuter is debatable.

If the reason you're adding sealant to the mix is for durability, flip the order of the glaze and the sealant. (Sealant first, then glaze) By putting glaze down first your significantly shortening the longevity of the sealant, and to that end whats the point of sealing if you're not doing it for the durability. You can do it the other way, but the benefits are largely lost.

Like anything in the wax, sealant, or glaze family - wait for it to haze, then buff off. Thats it.

Its the easiest thing to remove of any of the products you have listed... it really won't put up much of a fight at all. The weight of your hand with a towel and a light wipe and its done.

If the cars going to be pampered theres not much point to it. I don't fuss with sealant on vehicles that don't see daily exposure (my C10 for example). Its not like wax doesn't provide any protection, you still will have more than enough protection from a wax on the surface for a car that only sees occasional use and exposure.

While there is no harm in adding the sealant, the benefit for a car thats more 'toy' than commuter is debatable.

Thanks Doc. I'm going to skip it on the garaged C7 that sees few thousand miles a year. I'm going to put it on the daily drivers though and skip out on wax. I don't even know if I'll put glaze. Maybe the wife's car as it has a shimmery white which is great under the sun.