Customer Service 866.965.0400

only using paint correction?

Z06Seal

Question

I saw some people post about only using the paint correction polish and how they get great results. I believe this would be a 1 step polish. I know when I asked around couple years back looking for a detailer, I was told they'll offer a 1 step for $250 and 2 step for $400 (totally made those numbers up) I wasn't sure about what that meant until I asked about a year ago which I now understand the differences. 

I figured a 1 step would be using the finer polish (paint finishing) which will clear our most of the lesser scratches, but might leave out some of the deeper scratches that the paint correction might get if you did a 2 step. I feel like I have it backwards now that I did some reading...  1 step would be using paint correction instead of paint finishing? 

when would you want to use the paint finishing polish then? If you polish the car and it looks like you got just about all (95 to 100%) of imperfections, what does the paint finishing polish do anything else on top of what you have which is just about perfection? perhaps remove some hazing on dark colored cars? 

I know on a pretty bad shape wrangler video, Adam ended up using MF orange pads to remove most swirls, but followed up with white foam which got rid of the hazey look. 

Sorry for all the questions guys. I ask alot, but I learn fast. and I'll keep asking until all my goodies come in and I start working on one of my cars which will probably answer alot of questions lol

8 answers to this question

Yes its usually to remove any haze left from the correcting step.  The MF pads on black paints usually require a second step, personally I follow up with white foam when finishing on black or darker colors.

On silver, white, etc, you'd probably be able to get by with no finishing step because the Paint Correcting Polish finishes down so well and the color helps.  As well, foam pads tend to finish down better than MF, so technically if using the orange foam pad you probably can get most colors to finish down in one step and LSP ready with the PC polish.

Emir, I believe your thinking was correct based on the what the detailer was offering.  Without them doing a test spot on your car, they would have used a finishing polish in their '1 step', and the '2 step' would have been a correcting polish, followed by a finishing polish.

With the advances in polish and pads,  as Jason said, with SOME paint colors you can work the correcting polish down to a level that adding a finishing step is not required.  On my son's champagne color Civic, I could not correct it with foam pads, but was able to get the MF pad + correcting polish to finish down without the finishing step.  We also did the same thing a few weeks ago with a dark grey BMW.

Hi Emir, your process is similar to my 'Driver Detail,' which is about 90% of the detailing I do!

1. Crazy deluxe wash, wheels, engine, door jambs, exhaust

2. Clay everything, while still wet, misted with Detail Spray

3. Master Blaster, then dry with Great White

4. VRT / In & Out the exterior trim

5. Cyclo/ Flex/ your favorite polisher and Orange Microfiber Cutting Pads, w/ Paint Correcting Polish, slow passes, top speed setting.

6. Very lazy and quick residue removal, then....

7: Daily driver: Gray Foam Pad, Liquid Paint Sealant

8. Garage Queen: Patriot or Americana Paste.

The Paint Correcting Polish finishes extremely well, and only on a show vehicle, or finicky dark finishes would I consider using the White Foam pad an Paint Finishing Polish.

Adam Pitale

Founder, Chief Detailer

Mike and Adam,

Thanks for the responses. with having 2 white cars as daily drivers, and your recommendations, I'm happy that I can be satisfied with just paint correction polish. Infiniti will probably be fine with orange foam pads and the volt might need MF pads (it has such slight swirls though, so I will test it with both). Corvette I'll probably do both since that thing goes out couple times a week and I plan on babying her when she comes :)

I also asked this because I might do some friend's or work cars etc so it was good info.

Hi Emir, your process is similar to my 'Driver Detail,' which is about 90% of the detailing I do!

1. Crazy deluxe wash, wheels, engine, door jambs, exhaust

2. Clay everything, while still wet, misted with Detail Spray

3. Master Blaster, then dry with Great White

4. VRT / In & Out the exterior trim

5. Cyclo/ Flex/ your favorite polisher and Orange Microfiber Cutting Pads, w/ Paint Correcting Polish, slow passes, top speed setting.

6. Very lazy and quick residue removal, then....

7: Daily driver: Gray Foam Pad, Liquid Paint Sealant

8. Garage Queen: Patriot or Americana Paste.

The Paint Correcting Polish finishes extremely well, and only on a show vehicle, or finicky dark finishes would I consider using the White Foam pad an Paint Finishing Polish.

Adam Pitale

Founder, Chief Detailer

THE BOSS HAS SPOKEN

Love it Adam, great regimen and very succinct detailing process for the quickest shine and best correction with least amount of steps!

Yup, he sure has!

I'm gonna split an area into three and see the difference between orange MF, orange foam and MF + white foam and see how it looks once the products come in

That is the best way to determine what combo best meets your expectations.