Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing silver to flawless finish

mattpiper

Question

A somewhat unusual question, but I have a set of bagpipes mounted with sterling silver. It's plane with no additional detailing, but it has a lot of micro scratches and swirls from years of polishing with various standard metal polishes.

Now that I've removed all the swirls and Mike are scratches from my car, it bugs me to see them on my bagpipes… What products and/or processes would one used to get sterling silver to a flawless finish? I'll try to post photos here shortly of the silver in its current condition…

16 answers to this question

If you've removed the swirls and shine it up using a metal polish (If not I highly recommend Adam's Metal Polish #1 & 2), you should lacquer it to keep it from happening again.

I use Behlen Brass Lacquer (works with any metal).

http://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Brass-Lacquer-13-oz/dp/B003BG53EI

Funny, I actually used it this morning with Adam's Metal Polish #1 & #2 to finish a Brass Fire Nozzle Display. It really helps keep finger prints off and scratching from cleaning.

EDIT: After looking I see Behlen makes an Instrument Laquer as well. Says it's for stringed but it sounds like it would work for any metal on an instrument since it says it can be used on banjo rims. Not completely sure though, might be worth emailing them.

http://www.amazon.com/Stringed-Instrument-Lacquer-Aerosol-oz/dp/B003AYTK4K/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1426962128&sr=1-7

Edited by Kingsford

Pics... Notice the micro-scratches. I don't yet have the Adam's metal polishes, but I have about every other polish imaginable, and they'll all make it super shiny, but they just don't remove the scratches.... (though I will be ordering the Adam's metal polishes next order). Seems I need something with some serious cutting power to remove the damage...

pipe silver 2

pipe silver 1

Maybe try some hand 2-Step Polish by hand. Looks like its actually from using metal polish on a rag and going around.

When you used the Metal Polish before, did the rag turn black?

Edited by Kingsford

Maybe try some hand 2-Step Polish by hand. Looks like its actually from using metal polish on a rag and going around.

When you used the Metal Polish before, did the rag turn black?

Yes, the rag turns black...

Metal polishes #1 and #2 have been ordered...

Any ideas on how best to remove the scratches? Clearly just going round in circles has caused issues before. And there's not really a machine that could do this (so it's all going to be by hand).

Just buff by hand, both of our polishes are extremely low on abrasives, they rely more heavily on an oxidizer to get the job done. Rub in straight lines perpendicular to the scratches if you can and repeat. By hand this might be a long process.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject of bagpipes -

is there any way to disassemble them and get the metal that needs to be polished into some kind of jig to hold it while you attack it with a machine?

is there any way to disassemble them and get the metal that needs to be polished into some kind of jig to hold it while you attack it with a machine?

Unfortunately no... On lesser quality pipes, the various metal bits can be easily removed (pried off with a fingernail), but no, I had to buy a high-end set. These metal bits are threaded (hand-chased threads on sterling silver!) and then glued onto the various parts, so they are not going anywhere.

The metal polish 1 and 2 should work well.  I used it to polish my sterling silver belt buckle with excellent results.  Here are before, during and after pictures of the back of the buckle (front has too much detail to see any results).

IMG_3036_zps48d16f40.jpg

IMG_3037_zpsa87aa500.jpg

IMG_3038_zpsd6abb7bd.jpg

Before: 

pipe silver 2

pipe silver 1

Adamized:

Finished 1

There are still clearly micro scratches in this image, but this piece is only about an inch across, and they are all but invisible in person... I'l still keep working at it, and if I can get a more mirror-like finish, I'll post it. But nothing has come close to creating a shine like this. 

Finished 2

And from another set of pipes... The nickel has worn off in places, but that didn't stop the shine from coming through...

Before:

Tarnish

After:

Shiny

I think Adam's might start selling an awful lot of this polish to pipers once I get the word out.

Edited by mattpiper