Customer Service 866.965.0400

cleaning leather

ss-truck

Question

24 answers to this question

Wow, never heard of clothing dye getting on a car seat. New shirt that had never been washed? About the only thing I can think of is rubbing alcohol. And I've heard that hairspray works too. Whatever you do, put a good coating of Adam's Leather Conditioner on afterward to keep it soft. :thumbsup:

The shirt was not new and had been washed several times . Somebody please tell me how to do the hairspray cleaning . And then I for sure will put a good coat of preservative of the seat . I can't stand the way this looks and can't get inspired to clean the rest of the interior because of this mess .

Try this but I am warning you it takes color out very quickly and you should only use a dab of it on a Q-Tip diluted if you decide to go this route. It is industrial strength.

http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/inkout.html

I used it once on the black leather in my car. It lightened the color just a bit...maybe your interior color will be the key because it is light.

I'd try it somewhere you can't see first.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Also, you might try one of those Mr Clean erasers too, they work pretty well, but test first, as it might be harsh. I've seen dye from jeans transfer to white leather before, so not sure what gives. Good luck, and let us know what does work.

Bruce

Ok , I will try all the above mentioned ideas and post my results . That way everyone will have ideas for their problems . My jeans have stained the seat before and cleaned up easy , but this stain from the shirt is tough . With this problem I still want white leather in my street rod . Gotta figure some way to keep it from staining though .

Is this a newer vehicle Mike ? The more details you can give us the better. The majority of automotive leather is treated so that the transfer may still be on the surface and not down into the leather.

Some may disagree but I would dilute some APC 4 to 1 and just dip the corner of a rag in it and scrub a small area. I would also have a second water soaked rag and wipe the same area immediately after using the APC. Then dry and coat with leather conditioner.

Do you have any pictures ?

OK Bill , Now I gotta learn the Photobucket deal . I have the program and books concerning it and just have not taken time to read and learn it . Being retired has such a hectic schedule , I have difficulty finding time to add more things to do such as learning more computer stuff . :help::cheers:

OK Bill , Now I gotta learn the Photobucket deal . I have the program and books concerning it and just have not taken time to read and learn it . Being retired has such a hectic schedule , I have difficulty finding time to add more things to do such as learning more computer stuff . :help::cheers:

Well if your retired do you have any kids or grand kids ? They could get you up and running in no time :hi:

No grandkids and one son that has several degrees in computer . But will he help me with puter problems , NO . Guess who he calls when he has car problems ? when I ask him about a specific problem with computer he says "I don;t know how to do that " . All I did was pay for his college . I will get it figured out soon .

Bill, every time you post that way to post pics, I get confused. Maybe some others do too. Here's another way to do it.

Go to www.photobucket.com and sign up. Then upload pics to your account. Pic the picture you want to post and slide your cursor over it, but don't click it. You'll see a drop down box under the pic when you slide the cursor over it. Click on the last line of the drop down box that says "IMG code" and highlight it. While it's highlighted, press control (ctl) and c on your keyboard at the same time. That will copy the code for the pic.

Then come to the Adam's forum thread you are replying to and click "post reply". Click in the empty white box like you would if you were going to type something. You don't need to use the little yellow box above that says "insert image". All you need to do is hit control (ctl) and v at the same time and it will insert your pic into your post. The line will show, and the pic will show up when you post. Do this for each pic you want to post. Very simple. At least to me.

Ok then lets try this, click on "User CP" at the top of the page then on the left side of that page click on "Pictures & Albums". Click on "Add Album" then click on "Upload Pictures" and "Submit". That will bring you to the page to upload pictures. Click on the "Browse" button and navigate the the folder on your computer where the pictures are then click "Upload Pictures". That will get you o where you need to be to use this again :2thumbs:

post%20picture.jpg

No grandkids and one son that has several degrees in computer . But will he help me with puter problems , NO . Guess who he calls when he has car problems ? when I ask him about a specific problem with computer he says "I don't know how to do that " . All I did was pay for his college . I will get it figured out soon .

:lol::lol::lol::lol: That's too funny Mike, and you paid for his college!?

I'll walk you through personally, without Photobucket:

1. Get the photos on to your computer, into a file. (I have a folder on my desktop, called, "Photos.")
  2. Once you have the photos on your computer, downloaded from your camera via card, or cord
  3. Create or reply to a post here.
  4. Below this box, there is a "Manage Attachments" button.
  5. Click that button, then find the folder with photos on your computer.
  6. Select the photo, and do it again for up to 5 photos.
  7. Click, "UPLOAD" and then the photos will take a few minutes to post.

That should do the trick, but if it doesn't, give me a call at the office: 303-997-4374, and I'll walk you through on the phone.

Thanks Mike, and have a great week:thumbsup:

Edited by Adam

Wow, never heard of clothing dye getting on a car seat. New shirt that had never been washed? About the only thing I can think of is rubbing alcohol. And I've heard that hairspray works too. Whatever you do, put a good coating of Adam's Leather Conditioner on afterward to keep it soft. :thumbsup:

I agree with Bill...rubbing alcohol and be careful:)

Guys and girls, I just found an exhaustive discussion of the care and feeding of interior leather at Detailingbliss.com Detailing School. Adam it seems as though water based cleaners and conditioners are the best to use. What is your take?:2thumbs:

Guys and girls, I just found an exhaustive discussion of the care and feeding of interior leather at Detailingbliss.com Detailing School. Adam it seems as though water based cleaners and conditioners are the best to use. What is your take?:2thumbs:

Agree! Using petroleum or solvent based cleaners and conditioners can be harmful to leather, and cause it to dry out prematurely.

Lanolin (Think Lexol) is about the most oil you would want to use on leather. (Lanolin comes from sheep-skin.) We don't like that oil, as it can cause leather to be oily and slippery, and that bugs me.

Our Leather & Interior Cleaner & Leather Conditioner are both water-based.

Good: Never cause harm.

Bad: Adam's Leather Conditioner should be applied often in the summer, as it will evaporate in extreme temperatures.

Our Leather Conditioner also contains SPF 65, which is a nice bonus, and the most expensive raw material in the product.

Hope this answers it Rad, and thanks for bringing it up!

-Adam:thumbsup: