Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cost Of Detailing

GratefulDiver

Question

Ive been getting a few request to detail other peoples cars but am unsure what a good number to put on the cost. I know I had 6 hours in just washing, stripping, correction, and seal the other day on my GTO and I have yet to wax and do the inside. The lattest request is a newer Corvette, a car about the same size as mine so I would guess about the same time and thats if it dosent need clay. So what do you guys think a far cost is, taking into account the cost of the products and time it takes, maybe $200-$250 for 8 hour detail job?

9 answers to this question

For a professional, $200-$250 is too low if there is paint correction involved. If we're talking a wash-clay-seal-interior detail then that is an acceptable price, at least in my area. That is a job that typically takes me 3 or so hours. If there is paint correction involved I typically add at least $150 onto the job and move up from there depending on how much correction they want/need. 

Now, if you're a weekend warrior and getting requests from friends, I don't know that you should be charging the same amount as a professional would but it all comes down to what you think is an acceptable price and how much you think your time is worth. Would you be content with $250 for 8 hours of work? That is $31.25 per hour before considering the cost of product. I aim to be north of $50 per hour on every detail after product cost, gas, etc, but I am doing this professionally. Sometimes it works out much higher than that, sometimes it falls short. Depends on the job and how hard I need to work to complete the job. 

Edited by lax

^^^ +1

I am more like you, Tracy.  I do a few paying jobs every once in awhile and while I strive for perfection on my jobs (and my customers have all been impressed with results), I would not put myself near that "professional" level.  I try to be around the $35/hour mark but I sometimes fall short.  That's when I remind myself that I'm also doing something I get great joy out of.  A day spent bringing new life to a car while making $25-$35 per hour is alright with me.

I did it for a good friend thats a Dr once and I guess word of mouth spread and now its people Ive never meet. I was thinking 200-250 was low but then I dont want to seem like a jerk charging 350. I know I would NEVER pay that, but then I refuse to pay to have just about anything done on my cars that I know I can do and do better then most. Thanks

I just try to clearly understand what the person paying wants the end result to be like and price from there.  Hardest part for me is having someone who just wants it too look "improved" but then my issues pushing it towards perfection.  Again, just my issues and another reason I'm not a pro.

In the end, if you're happy with $200-$250 then go for it. 

For a professional, $200-$250 is too low if there is paint correction involved. If we're talking a wash-clay-seal-interior detail then that is an acceptable price, at least in my area. That is a job that typically takes me 3 or so hours. If there is paint correction involved I typically add at least $150 onto the job and move up from there depending on how much correction they want/need. 

Now, if you're a weekend warrior and getting requests from friends, I don't know that you should be charging the same amount as a professional would but it all comes down to what you think is an acceptable price and how much you think your time is worth. Would you be content with $250 for 8 hours of work? That is $31.25 per hour before considering the cost of product. I aim to be north of $50 per hour on every detail after product cost, gas, etc, but I am doing this professionally. Sometimes it works out much higher than that, sometimes it falls short. Depends on the job and how hard I need to work to complete the job. 

This is very solid advice. I aim for about $50/ hour before factoring product cost into anything I do, and have a couple of packages setup around that. For friends I throw a bit of a discount on top. Remember to factor the size of the vehicle, and I charge extra for cars that are dirtier than normal (I call it the mommy wagon tax).

Also having optional add-ons like glass sealant or pulling wheels to get the insides of everything better than you normally would are great money makers as well, and I hook friends up with those at no charge, time permitting.

If you're doing a fixed number of passes, regardless of result, then a set price is fine.

If you're going for perfect then it needs to be billed hourly and invoiced at the end b/c its virtually IMPOSSIBLE to predict the amount of time needed to get a car from start to perfect.

Agreed. If I am doing full corrections I charge by the hour, especially on black paint. Otherwise if I am 1 stepping a car then I have a fixed price package.

The other thing I like to do for friends is offer them a discounted detail if they pay for a new product I want to try and let me test it on their car.

I'm typically only detail my car but word of mouth has spread at the office how much of a detail junkie I am. I just recently did a co-workers Honda Civic Si for $130. That included a premium wash (2-bucket wash, ext trim cleaned/dressed, wheels cleaned/dressed, glass inside/out, full vacuum and interior dusted). The vehicle had very minor swirls and at the customers request only wanted me to clay it and apply sealant. Took me like 3 hours so I made about $43 an hour.