Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cars and Family

Beemer

When I was a kid in the '60s and '70s we always took family pictures in front of the family car.  I love going back and looking at those pictures.  I think having a car in the shot does so much to lend the photo a specific "time and place".  It's like a time machine!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread just for old family/car pictures.  Please don't just post a picture, though.  Tell us the story of the picture!  Every great picture has a story...

I'll start:

post-6940-0-61705300-1431436265_thumb.jpg

This is my Mom and Dad in Monrovia, CA.  Probably about 1959.  Dad was picking up Mom for a date in his brand new Corvair. My Mom had agreed to go out with him because she thought he was rich thanks to that beautiful car.  (He was working at a gas station at the time.)

Grandpa is taking the picture but check out Grandma in the back.  She is not very happy (actually - that was her normal expression...).

Thankfully the relationship lasted longer than the Corvair.  The car only lasted a couple of years (a Corvair was a beautiful piece of crap) but my parents were together until my Mom died in 2001.

I will always cherish this picture.

Post one of yours and tell us the story!

Edited by Beemer

When I was a kid in the '60s and '70s we always took family pictures in front of the family car.  I love going back and looking at those pictures.  I think having a car in the shot does so much to lend the photo a specific "time and place".  It's like a time machine!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread just for old family/car pictures.  Please don't just post a picture, though.  Tell us the story of the picture!  Every great picture has a story...

I'll start:

attachicon.gif1 Behymers Dads Corvair Small.JPG

This is my Mom and Dad in Monrovia, CA.  Probably about 1959.  Dad was picking up Mom for a date in his brand new Corvair. My Mom had agreed to go out with him because she thought he was rich thanks to that beautiful car.  (He was working at a gas station at the time.)

Grandpa is taking the picture but check out Grandma in the back.  She is not very happy (actually - that was her normal expression...).

Thankfully the relationship lasted longer than the Corvair.  The car only lasted a couple of years (a Corvair was a beautiful piece of crap) but my parents were together until my Mom died in 2001.

I will always cherish this picture.

Post one of yours and tell us the story!

Ralph Nader loved the Corvair and devoted the first chapter to it in his book "Unsafe at any Speed". Great picture! The lady in the background does not look very happy though. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed