Customer Service 866.965.0400

MTM Hydro foam cannon- problem

03blackSSS

Question

I recently started having a problem with my foam cannon. I am using a Ryobi electric pressure washer and it works great. Just enough pressure for my needs and foams really nice!

The last 2 times I used my foam cannon, it will foam for about the first 1/3rd of the bottle. Then it suddenly starts shooting a straight stream with just foamy water. It will then empty my entire bottle in only a couple panels

The tip is adjusted to a flat spray, and the knob is turned to have as much soap as possible

Anyone else experienced this before?

16 answers to this question

Are you just using the cannon on the end of your wand btw?  I  have been wanting to get one (I have the Ryobi 1700psi 1.2gpm as well), but have been lazy about the connection on the end.

I would check the pickup tube for any clogging (rinse it out with just distilled warm water in the cannon), or call MTM for support.

Yes, with the quick connect. The adapter that came with the cannon was a tad too long and wouldn't lock. So I ground it down a tad and it went right in. 

I will try cleaning it and see if that helps. I guess something could have gotten caught inside it. If not I'll get ahold of MTM. Thanks for the help!

Not really, when it happens. When it's working yes it does change.   It would spray great, then suddenly start dumping everything in the bottle out the nozzle, and my pressure sprayer wouldn't be able to keep up. I'd let off the handle and it would do it again.

I thought it was my pressure sprayer, but I used it multiple times cleaning stuff around the house and it worked flawlessly with the high pressure tip. 

The next time I used the cannon it did the same thing. Worked for great for a couple panels, then started emptying the bottle with within a couple panels. 

I may take it apart and soak it to get any soap residue out. I'll let you know what happens

I got it working again. I soaked it in water  to help soften up any soap residue that may be in the tip. 

I filled the bottle up with water and ran it. After about 2/3 of the bottle it started spraying good again. I worked the tip and the knob multiple times. Then ran another bottle of just water through it. I am figuring it was probably soap residue clogging it.

When I use it I stop it right before the bottle runs empty so I am not washing the soap of the car. But I may start spraying it for a bit after on the ground to run some water through it. 

Yeah I'll grab a pic of the adaptor. It was just the very end of the tip was a hair too long. It slid in just fine, but would not allow the wand lock ring to engage. 

Yeah I'll grab a pic of the adaptor. It was just the very end of the tip was a hair too long. It slid in just fine, but would not allow the wand lock ring to engage. 

Bumping this old thread because I'm in the same boat trying to get the MTM attached to my Ryobi wand. I'm not at the point where I want to buy a second wand/trigger for the cannon.

Did you simply take some material from the very end of the adapter that cam with the cannon? Or did you also need to take some material from the larger OD portion?

butters, on the Ryobi you need this adapter - I used it with the threaded silver nut that threads into the head of the MTM, on the other end you thread in the brass adapter - you need the one in the middle of the picture, no other modifications - I just take the wand off and twist and lock the MTM into place when I am foaming

http://www.amazon.com/Apache-99023752-C-Pressure-Bayonet-Connection/dp/B00GN53H7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452624597&sr=8-1&keywords=pressure+washer+adapter

butters, on the Ryobi you need this adapter

I'm not sure I follow... are you talking about a setup for swapping the Ryobi wand for an MTM gun with the foam cannon? My wand has the quick-release tip, and the cannon came with the M22 and 1/4" quick connect adapters.

Edited by butters

Its very simple how I do it - using that adapter I linked, screw it directly into the foam gun, don't use the M22 or 1/4" quick connect.

Now when you want to rinse your car down, pop your 15 degree tip into the end of the wand, rinse it down.

Now you are ready to foam with your cannon.  Untwist the wand and pop it off the trigger.  Now you can take your MTM with Ryobi adapter already on it, twist and lock it into place.  Foam to your hearts content.  Then when ready to rinse, untwist and pop off the cannon, and pop your wand back on.  Easy peasy.

I also used a Kwazar 1L bottle for my MTM as now it will stand up on its own when I'm rinsing (the Kwazar has a better standing base)

If you are confused let me know I can get you a pic

Untwist the wand and pop it off the trigger.  Now you can take your MTM with Ryobi adapter already on it, twist and lock it into place.  Foam to your hearts content.  Then when ready to rinse, untwist and pop off the cannon, and pop your wand back on.  Easy peasy.

Ohhhh I forgot all about that connection point! I had it in my head that the trigger and wand were 1 piece on this PW. Wow, that's awesome... I was worried about the length of the wand with the MTM on the end of it too.

My only confusion is what you meant by the threaded silver nut. At this point I'm still thinking that I need this male-to-male fitting to thread into the MTM, and then the adapter you linked would thread onto the other end of the fitting. In other words, the adapter has a female threaded section, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-56122-Fitting-Nipple/dp/B003NXYB5Q/ref=pd_sim_328_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51N8envtcxL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0P359GX08MZ0QGXGTGN2

Thank you for the help Jason!

edit: found a picture we can use to review:

2L-foam-lance-for-old-font-b-Bosch-b-fon

Or, does that adapter have male threads built in, looking something like this?

Brass-adapter-for-Bosch-pressure-washer-

Edited by butters

On mine, there was a threaded connection into the foam cannon when I received it, as they received the M22 or 1/4 quick connect adapters.  Mine is silver colored however  - Basically that middle brass piece between the adapter and the cannon head was included with my cannon and I just threaded the brass Ryobi adapter into it - if you are missing a "mating piece" its probably very easy to grab at Home Depot as its just a pipe fitting.

EDIT:  I see why you don't have it - I bought the MTM part number that is for Electric PW's and it comes with a piece that yours doesnt- it comes with a Karcher fitting on it, so I just unscrewed the brass Karcher fitting and screwed on the Ryobi adapter I bought

61Z%2BkOCWTRL._SL1500_.jpg