Customer Service 866.965.0400

Difficulty removing product

RickF

Question

I used the paint correcting polish and paint finishing polish today and got decent results. I'm using a Porter Cable DA polisher. My question is, I had difficulty removing the product. Does this mean I'm using too much? I'm really not sure about the whole "flashing" thing so maybe I'm not working the polish enough or maybe working it too long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10 answers to this question

I used the paint correcting polish and paint finishing polish today and got decent results. I'm using a Porter Cable DA polisher. My question is, I had difficulty removing the product. Does this mean I'm using too much? I'm really not sure about the whole "flashing" thing so maybe I'm not working the polish enough or maybe working it too long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a reference point, it probably takes 4 passes with the PC to do a 4X4 panel at a speed of 5. (1 pass to me is going left,right, left right once across the whole panel, then 2nd pass is up, down, up, down once across panel and repeat...) if that makes sense lol.

You can also watch the videos from Adam's on the PC one more time to give you an idea as to when it should flash. I still watch them on a regular basis and have been polishing for a few years now.

What pads are you using? Adam's or something else and foam or microfiber?

A4x4 area is too large of a section for correction work

I found that when I started, working in a little larger area fixed my too much product problem easily as we all use too much product when we start. Then I brought it in a little but I still like to work in larger areas than most people here, whatever works for you as long as you get the results

I'm using Adam's pads, started with the orange microfiber then on to the orange foam. I went to wipe off the paint correcting polish and had a really difficult time. I need to wipe that off before going on to the finishing polish, right? I must add, weather conditions were horrible, Central Pennsylvania and the humidity was in the tropical zone. I was in my garage though so the truck was cool to the touch. 

When I watch the videos, he puts on 4 lines of product and I was not even putting on that much. 

Rick,

I live in central PA as well and you are right about the humidity. I have found when the weather is as humid as it is the product will take longer to work. I believe you dealing with several issues. The polishes have oils in them that help lubricate surface of the clearcoat allowing the polishes and pad to safely remove the scratches, swirls, etc. Flashing occurs when the oils are broken down and no longer working. The polish almost will have almost a Vaseline consistency. Also you will start to see streaks of clear in the area you are working. You are better off under polishing then to over polish. If you over polish you could damage the paint.

Only correct a 2x2 area. I work in a criss-cross pattern. I usually make about 5 passes over the section. I always go slow.

After each section I clean my pad with a pad brush. This removes all the old polish and helps the pad work better.

I then spray the pad with a squirt of detail spray which helps keep it from drying out.

Initially (when I first start) I cover the entire pad with polish and begin. After I have done a panel I just apply a small amount of product around the edges and middle.

I also always remove the Paint Correcting Polish before using the Finishing Polish just because I want to see how it looks.

How long are you letting the polish on the paint after you are done polishing? I have found that if I do a section and not remove it right away it becomes hard to remove. How big an area are you doing? When the polish is hard to remove try a shot of detail spray on the area.

Lots of variables. Humidity being one. The amount of product, drying time, cleaning the pad are others. Are you done with your vehicle yet?

Edited by Thorsager

After seeing the posts here I believe I'm making a few mistakes, I work on a much larger area, like one quarter panel or one door, etc. I also did one whole side of the truck before wiping off. It was difficult getting it off even with detail spray. 

After seeing the posts here I believe I'm making a few mistakes, I work on a much larger area, like one quarter panel or one door, etc. I also did one whole side of the truck before wiping off. It was difficult getting it off even with detail spray.

I think you found it. Start by splitting your panel into 4s or even smaller as the previous member suggested (you can expend if you want after you have a little more experience as you see fit but I'd never go more than half). Never go to another panel before wiping off the product. A little detail spray should help removing some stubborn product but it shouldn't happen very often

Edited by AvsBest