Customer Service 866.965.0400

Time of day and order of operations

chops1sc

Question

This is more for the driveway detailers than the professional money-makers on the forum (but you can chime in if you like).

What time of day do you prefer to wash your vehicle?

What order of operations do you use?

Mine is rarely the same each time, lol!

I like washing in the evening (after 6:30 during summer) since I get shade from my shop. However, if I get up early enough on the weekend I can do a full wash/dry before the sun becomes a factor. Having said that here is my order of operations.

Tires

Wheels

Wheel wells

Rinse (pressure washer)

Foam cannon

2 bucket wash

Rinse (pressure washer)

Sheeting rinse (kinked hose)

Leaf blower dry

Waffle weave the leftovers

Wipe windows if needed

Towel dry the tires

Tire dressing

Final inspection

The interior all depends on my mood and when I started the wash. If I washed in the evening and I don't have to work the next morning, I will do the interior in the morning. If I wash in the morning, I will go ahead and do the interior after washing.

How about y'all?

9 answers to this question

Yeah my routine is roughly the same, except I end with a detail spray wipe. My pressure washer is a huge 4000psi washer and it's hard to move around, so I just use a hose and foam gun instead of a foam cannon. I love the idea of a foam cannon though, but it still seems a bit gimmicky.

I've tried to figure out a way to integrate G&G into my routine, but the car tends to dry quickly before I can walk around the car and apply it.

When doing my own cars, I prefer mornings.  They are usually done with Rinseless, so I only need my wash media, a towel that has been soaked in the wash bucket and wrung out, and an Waterless Wash towel.  If I am 'deep' cleaning the wheels I will clean them first.  Otherwise I will use the leftover Rinseless wash water and a soft bristle brush.

IF I do a regular 2 bucket wash, I start with the wheels (wheel wells, wheels, tires), clean the below the door area with either diluted (1:1) APC or Wash Shampoo (diluted at wash strength) in a sprayer with a foaming head as I move from the back tire to the front, then do the same cleaning below the rear and front bumper. 

Spray the car down with a strong stream of water, with extra time on the door jams and trunk seams.  Regular wash, top down method.  No rinsing in between.  At the end, If it is humid, I will reload the mitt and go over the whole car again to reactivate the suds.  Then I put my rinse extension (pic below) on the hose do a pool rinse.  Hit a few spots with the Sidekick, then DS the car and dry.   

Hose003.jpg

Your routine looks good. Mine is very similar. A for time of day, due to the direction my house faces, I have to either start early 7:30-8am or late in the evening, 8pm or so. Neither of them are ideal but I can generally get the wash done quick enough so that I can pull in the garage to finish up the smaller details. 

Be careful with the leaf blower dry. I know it seems safer than drying with microfiber towels but if it is unfiltered air you are blowing out, it could be like a sandblaster to your paint. Also, if it is gas powered, you could potentially get oil or other contaminants on the paint. 

I get up before dawn for a full wash.  Wife thinks I'm crazy bit I can get the car back into the garage before the sun hits it to cause water spots.

I usually try to do the wheels and tires the evening before just so I don't have to do them in the dark.

I usually try to do the wheels and tires the evening before just so I don't have to do them in the dark.

Similarly I've been breaking my personal cars and some customer cars into 2 day jobs. Interior and then wheels/tires on the first, Decon wash and correction on the second.

If I am working in the morning (sun comes over the trees around 8:30), I usually was the paint first and then do the wheel area last. Yes, I may get a little spray of water on the paint but that is a quick removal especially for maintenance washes since I usually just use soap (not tire cleaners).

It is usually quite humid in the summer mornings so until the sun comes out the water on the paint does not dry very quickly.  You have less worry about keeping the paint wet to prevent spots.

When washing in the late pm or evening, it is usually so something drying on paint is more an exposure.

Edited by Bunky

On the best days it is a morning wash around 7am before the sun gets on the driveway.  If I miss that window then I wait until after 4pm when I pick up some shade again.

I have a similar order of operation but I don't have the pressure washer and do use a Master Blaster. As of today I have added a foam gun!  :D