Customer Service 866.965.0400

Alcohol Wipe Down

ramflava

Question

Hello everyone. So I'm planning to do some paint correction on one of my vehicles and had a few questions.

Of course I'll begin with a 2 bucket wash and clay, but then I need help. I've never performed and IPA wipe down and I'm wondering if I need to do one if I'm going to go after the paint with the microfiber cutting pads which I assume would take everything off. Thought?

If I do still need to do an IPA wipedown will the alcohol mess up microfiber cloths?

As of now my plan is to wash, clay, IPA wipe down, paint correct, IPA wipe down again, paint polish, and seal. Then maybe wax as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

10 answers to this question

My first recommendation is to do a "strip wash" which just means that you should add a couple of ounces of All Purpose Cleaner to your wash bucket and wash normally.  This will remove a lot of the wax a sealant from your paint.

The IPA wipe down is really no big deal.  Just dilute 90% IPA to about 50% with distilled water, spray it on the paint and wipe it off.  This will remove even more of the sealant and wax leaving very little left on the paint.

It will not hurt your microfibers. Just wash them normally.

If you polish over sealant and wax it could clog your pads and make your polishing less effective.

thanks everyone. I read this too late. Just did a rinseless wash. It's hot as balls outside already. So now I'll spray the vehicle with APC then I'll clay then IPA wipe down.

I WOULD NOT spray with APC!  You don't want ANY of it to dry on the paint! Not a good idea IMHO.

If you didn't strip wash and don't have any IPA just clay.  That'll get rid of MOST of the wax on your car.

Edited by Beemer

thanks. just clayed and IPA wipe down. now on to paint correcting.

Generally IPA wipe downs are to inspect results after paint correction.

When polishing the paint any remaining wax or sealant is abraded away by the polishing process. The IPA is to wipe away any left over polishing oils that could mask results.

Obviously there are a few other uses as well, but in the future to save you some time and trouble you can probably skip the IPA wipe down until at least after the polishing process.

Generally IPA wipe downs are to inspect results after paint correction.

When polishing the paint any remaining wax or sealant is abraded away by the polishing process. The IPA is to wipe away any left over polishing oils that could mask results.

Obviously there are a few other uses as well, but in the future to save you some time and trouble you can probably skip the IPA wipe down until at least after the polishing process.

I will wipe down with Rinseless (diluted to Waterless ratio) in between polish steps only as necessary to inspect.  I do an IPA wipedown after FINAL polish, whatever that may be, in order to prep for sealant.  That ensures a clean surface for the sealant to bond to.  IPA at other times is just a waste unless you like the smell......

Oh well. I learned something new, but after I had already done the work. Today, I did a rinseless wash, clay, IPA wipe down, APC (1:1 diluted) wipe down, 2 step correction, sealant, glaze, and americana wax. I'm no pro, but the vehicle looks phenomenal!!