Customer Service 866.965.0400

Alcoa Rims

scribble79

Question

I am looking for recommendations on how to get all 10 of my Alcoa firetruck rims that have been extremely neglected shiny again. I don't have much time to get them looking great (like 3 days only).,

My fire department wants all the chrome, aluminum and stainless steel sparkling by Saturday @ 3 AM for the fourth of July parade and I was nominated to get this accomplished since I finished my last task early.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank You

7 answers to this question

With the time crunch I think you will be stuck using over-the-counter stuff.  You should be able to pick up a PowerBall and some aluminum polish by the same company that makes the PowerBall.  Adam's Metal Polish 1 & 2 will giver better results, and maybe you can try them down the road. 

Here are a few links that my help you out:

polishing semi truck wheels need help

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27286-polishing-semi-truck-wheels-need-help/?hl=aluminum

Polishing Forged Wheels Continues...

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27542-polishing-forged-wheels-continues/?hl=aluminum

Edited by mc2hill

What about a cone polisher with an electric drill? The more automated you can be the quicker it'll go. As far as which product will go the furthest and do the best job you may want to look for an off the shelf product. Turtle wax mothers etc. the cone polishers can be found at many stores Walmart meijer autozone for about $20. since you don't have the time to get adams products and the FD might not approve the expenditure. That might be your best bet. Maybe bribe/recruit some fellow fire fighters or some youngsters in the area

A drill attachment with the 2 step metal polishes will make quick work of them if they are bare aluminum. I am pretty sure they are. If you dont have the  focas drill attachment with Adam's pads you can use one from the auto parts but i would highly recomend thier metal polish. You can use it by hand but it will take a lot longer.

If you aren't afraid of putting in a little work, use 0000 steel wool, and then follow with a 2 step metal polish. I use this method on busses I work with that have 22.5" chrome wheels and they look PERFECT when I'm done!

What does it take you per wheel with the steel wool?  I have 4 very large bumpers to do also that are SS, and also 2 2k gallon SS tanks to also do.

I don't think this is all happening by Saturday unless I take off my full time gig.

I usually buy a few 12 packs of 0000 steel wool from my local hardware store and will use 2 or 3 per rim so you may want a few but any chrome will be polished to perfection! If I knew how to post pics from mobile version id show you guys some of the chrome I've done!