Customer Service 866.965.0400

Finally...my own garage

chas

Once you go garage, you never go back :)

I remember my earlier days having to carry groceries, etc. from an outside parking lot in bad weather, go up multiple flights of stairs, etc. to get into the house.

From a convenience and detailing perspective, having a garage is flat-out awesome.

Good luck with the inspection/closing!

• 1 month later...

Figured might be cool to post an update here.  We closed on the house on October 30th and almost immediately started doing some updates.  We move in tomorrow, with the backsplash, carpet and final sink hook-up being finished (hopefully) today.  In all, new hardwood was put in, popcorn ceilings removed and some updates to the downstairs half bathroom.  I will try and put some before and afters in.  To say I'm excited is an understatement.  Hoping in the spring to make a large adam's order to outfit the garage appropriately.  Other than granite, hardwood and popcorn ceilings my wife and I have done the work ourselves, its a rewarding experience.

Kitchen Before:

22723469868_55642fb37c.jpg

22723369797_7ca72f0c8c.jpg

22723469778_bc5efd8dce.jpg

Me ripping out the tin backsplash:

22520638573_1f6460dfb5.jpg

Kitchen After

No hardwood or backsplash yet in this picture

22723371147_132c92afdd.jpg

22723471098_5c0cf2b098.jpg

22723468438_7728c76f04.jpg

23153431691_f76d40e483.jpg

23153433671_a6a4db8ba1.jpg

22723470288_de8fa123b9.jpg

Living Room Before:

22519142064_4a0e9c3474.jpg

Living Room After (unfortunately taken at night):

22723470488_0e4f5ca687.jpg

Family Room Before:

22723369597_00559166ab.jpg

Family Room After:

White washing the fireplace

22520636883_6f5083fe21.jpg

23153431421_971acbdfc8.jpg

Mud Room Before:

22821682580_778dfe0dc0.jpg

Mudroom After my wife and I painted and installed new shelving:

22520634403_60a1eae05c.jpg

Downstairs Halfbath Before:

22519142044_f56e9f96de.jpg

Halfbath During my vanity removal, wall repair and repaint:

22821685350_a235bfb5bd.jpg

22723468938_e68de53d42.jpg

22520638083_578a1c7026.jpg

23127864862_41df79e7e6.jpg

Half bathroom after my wife and I repainted and I repaired the wall, no hardwood yet:

22723368177_9c9b867a74.jpg

22723471028_52a441837a.jpg

With hardwood:

23127864142_1efa78ccdf.jpg

So the garage is next.  Going to re-coat the floor with a gray epoxy and repaint the walls an even lighter gray/white, with white floor and door trim throughout.  

Best,

I'll add updates as they come!

Chas

Throwing a question out there, what are you all using to house your garden/non-garage stuff that normally ends up in a garage?  I realize at first I may have to house the mower and miscellaneous items in the garage, but down the line it would be great to have a dedicated area for yard items.  Not sure about a shed in the back (possibly), what are some other options?

I keep all my lawn & garden stuff in my shed/out building, the only things that go in my garage are car related.

BTW the house is looking good!

So the garage is next.  Going to re-coat the floor with a gray epoxy and repaint the walls an even lighter gray/white, with white floor and door trim throughout. 

My garage we used Sherwin Williams SuperPaint (you will spend more than others for this but you would not believe how great it has been).   It has been 8 years and you would think we just painted it yesterday.

Chas just a word to the wise you do not want your garage walls too white (will show very single spot you can believe).  When we repainted (father and myself) the color has a slight touch of brown in it and it complements the exterior brick color of the house.

My garage we used Sherwin Williams SuperPaint (you will spend more than others for this but you would not believe how great it has been).   It has been 8 years and you would think we just painted it yesterday.

Chas just a word to the wise you do not want your garage walls too white (will show very single spot you can believe).  When we repainted (father and myself) the color has a slight touch of brown in it and it complements the exterior brick color of the house.

Good call on the paint color, Everett.  Thanks for the heads up.  You're right too white might show way too much.

Thanks guys!  We moved in on Friday and while there were a lot of positives this weekend, a lot of negative things occurred too.  Our furnace kept tripping the breaker Friday, had to have an HVAC guy reduce the furnace power to 3/4 to prevent anymore tripping.  Means warm air isn't getting to the top level.  Having an electrician come out Wednesday to hopefully update the breaker to 90 amp.

Furthermore, last night I went to go take a shower and the faucet head sheared off.  No we have to get a plummer to come in and fix that.  I think a whole new distributor is needed, which I just don't have the skills to handle myself.  

Otherwise, on a positive note, our backsplash was installed, grouting is today.  I also finished our downstairs bathroom.

22617185553_e63cd6bed9.jpg

22617185323_e43a638c52.jpg

22948459960_19868029a1.jpg

23218152646_0ecc885dc1.jpg

90 amp???? For a furnace? Mine is only on a dedicated 20 amp. In regards to your faucet it may entail cutting a hole in your wall and replacing the surround. Sorry to hear that. If I lived closer I would give you a hand.

That's what I am thinking, it seems like 90 amp is too much.  I just don't know enough about electrical to know.  I think the faucet issue will end with a whole new surround.

90 amp???? For a furnace? Mine is only on a dedicated 20 amp.

Only 20 amp for an electric furnace? my small 220v electric forced air heater in my garage has a 50 amp breaker. electric heat takes some juice! I am currently building a new shop for my machine shop and the main shop will have a heat pump with electric backup and the disconnect for that unit is 100 amp, and that is a 480v 3ph unit. the same unit in 240v would have at least a 200 amp disconnect (it is a large industrial unit that will heat and cool our 7000 sq ft shop space not a household sized piece though) so 90 amp for a household furnace doesn't seem out of line to me.

On the other hand the breaker that is in the panel for Chas's furnace could be weak and just need replaced? I'm not an electrician so this is NOT an actual recommendation, just conjecture.

Edited by NG13

Only 20 amp for an electric furnace? my small 220v electric forced air heater in my garage has a 50 amp breaker. electric heat takes some juice! I am currently building a new shop for my machine shop and the main shop will have a heat pump with electric backup and the disconnect for that unit is 100 amp, and that is a 480v 3ph unit. the same unit in 240v would have at least a 200 amp disconnect (it is a large industrial unit that will heat and cool our 7000 sq ft shop space not a household sized piece though) so 90 amp for a household furnace doesn't seem out of line to me.

On the other hand the breaker that is in the panel for Chas's furnace could be weak and just need replaced? I'm not an electrician so this is NOT an actual recommendation, just conjecture.

This is good to know.  The current electrical furnace is nearly 20 years old, I don't doubt the power it draws or requires is substantial.  What I don't get is that this furnace has been in this house for 20 years with the current breaker, how did this not occur with the prior owners?  Perhaps it did and they didn't disclose it, which perturbs me even more.

Chas great job on all your hard work it looks amazing. What type of heat is it hot air, forced hot water (baseboard) if I were to guess like Nick said the breaker went bad or the motor, blower, pump could be bad. Electric stoves and dryers only use 30 amp 220 volt you could run most of your house on a 90 amp breaker. With all your remodels did you do any electric work maybe someone tied into the wire that feeds your furnace. As for the shower with a little luck it can just be rebuilt in the wall depending on what and were it broke. 

Great work on the house, things are coming along nicely for you! 

I also have to agree on the breaker, I can ask my neighbor who is an electrician as to specifics but if you are actually using 90 amps for ANYTHING I would be exceedingly shocked. 

Entire houses used to have 100amp services and have heat hot water and all that stuff so if they tell you the system requires it ask where they are getting the info. 

Speaking of electrical info, there should be a tag SOMEWHERE on the unit that describes its electrical usage and supply needs. If you could post some pics of the furnace we might be able to help some more. Also is it an all electric furnace or do you also have gas or oil supply to it? 

and for some Math fun for all you math geeks out there. 90amps at 240V (assuming it is a double pole breaker) with a power factor of 1 (its old so not efficient) gives us a ratting of 21.6kW, now we assume that the furnace is going to run for around 5 hours per day, which would give you 108 kWh PER DAY. For reference and we are big electrical users due to my other hobbies with a Well pump and my wifes regular cooking we are typically around a total of 800-850 kWh's per MONTH. Just by these numbers something seems VERY off here. The solution of merely installing a larger breaker because the previous one wsa tripping should not be done, the breaker trips for one of two reasons, the breaker is failing or the unit is failing, one way or the other something is wrong that upsizing the breaker will not solve, only potentially make worse. Your electrician should inform you of alot of things when he is there, take good notes and do your homework before fully trusting him. 

Chas great job on all your hard work it looks amazing. What type of heat is it hot air, forced hot water (baseboard) if I were to guess like Nick said the breaker went bad or the motor, blower, pump could be bad. Electric stoves and dryers only use 30 amp 220 volt you could run most of your house on a 90 amp breaker. With all your remodels did you do any electric work maybe someone tied into the wire that feeds your furnace. As for the shower with a little luck it can just be rebuilt in the wall depending on what and were it broke. 

Jeff, its hot air.  The HVAC tech on Friday night indicated the heat pump was working solidly and in good condition.  I think the shower will work out, it broke only at the faucet nob.  Hoping they can back out the sheered part of the screw and move on.

Great work on the house, things are coming along nicely for you! 

I also have to agree on the breaker, I can ask my neighbor who is an electrician as to specifics but if you are actually using 90 amps for ANYTHING I would be exceedingly shocked. 

Entire houses used to have 100amp services and have heat hot water and all that stuff so if they tell you the system requires it ask where they are getting the info. 

Speaking of electrical info, there should be a tag SOMEWHERE on the unit that describes its electrical usage and supply needs. If you could post some pics of the furnace we might be able to help some more. Also is it an all electric furnace or do you also have gas or oil supply to it? 

and for some Math fun for all you math geeks out there. 90amps at 240V (assuming it is a double pole breaker) with a power factor of 1 (its old so not efficient) gives us a ratting of 21.6kW, now we assume that the furnace is going to run for around 5 hours per day, which would give you 108 kWh PER DAY. For reference and we are big electrical users due to my other hobbies with a Well pump and my wifes regular cooking we are typically around a total of 800-850 kWh's per MONTH. Just by these numbers something seems VERY off here. The solution of merely installing a larger breaker because the previous one wsa tripping should not be done, the breaker trips for one of two reasons, the breaker is failing or the unit is failing, one way or the other something is wrong that upsizing the breaker will not solve, only potentially make worse. Your electrician should inform you of alot of things when he is there, take good notes and do your homework before fully trusting him. 

Jim, I'll definitely take pictures of the unit tonight, its an electric furnace.  I thought the tech said the unit was 120V but unsure of amps, possibly 12 amps, but don't hold me to it until I check tonight.  I can't imagine its drawing on all 12 amps though assuming that's the max.  If I recall correctly, the breaker box is 20 amps, but I will also verify this.

I will definitely take good notes, I don't trust technicians so I will be double checking everything he says.  I have a gut feeling the problem might be coming from the breaker.  When going through inspection the furnace was running properly at full load, not 3/4 like it is now.  I would also assume (maybe my crux) that if the furnace unit was failing at 100% capacity than it would also fail at 3/4 capacity, but it seems to be running like a champ at this reduced capacity.  Its evident from the breaker box that work has been done on it in the past, wondering if there were issues prior.

Regardless, it bothers me I don't know more about this, but I guess I'm getting schooled now. You guys are invaluable, I can't thank you enough for all of this insight.  I hate paying for these issues, but love learning about them.

Shower arm should be an easy fix, EZ out, teflon tape,, new shower arm.  Probably $20-25.00 DIY.  Biggest cost will be the EZ out.

Tap EZ out into broken pc and unscrew.  Teflon tape the new arm and screw it in. Might invest in lo flo shower head while you are there.