Customer Service 866.965.0400

LPS vs G&G... More gloss? More protection?

PT3

Question

10 answers to this question

I put my Liquid paint sealant down first and have a bunch of buttery on top of it right now but moving over to try some G & G soon. 

So for me I would do both, Put down the LPS and then do the G & G on top of it, will help the LPS last longer and keep a nice layer on top for you for the protection. 

I put my Liquid paint sealant down first and have a bunch of buttery on top of it right now but moving over to try some G & G soon. 

So for me I would do both, Put down the LPS and then do the G & G on top of it, will help the LPS last longer and keep a nice layer on top for you for the protection.

So I do have LPS down first. I put LPS on twice in the past 12 months. But now I'm ready for another application for more slickness, gloss and protection.

LPS is the "most long lasting sealant" per this video. Discussion on the different sealants starts at about the halfway mark on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiiiTSxxNPk

If you are not seeing any time savings with your method of applying HGG, then go with LPS for longer protection.

Thanks Dan!

So if I put LPS on about 12 months ago, then again 6 months ago... a couple applications of Patriot, a couple of BG and a couple G&G over he last 8 months... What do you suggest now? When do I 'start over' and put down another 'base' of LPS?

Edited by PT3

That's a lot of layers already on there Phil.  Definitely time for a fresh start by stripping all that off and getting down to bare paint for a new application of LPS to last the winter.

My process is to strip wash before a new application of LPS, which is every 6 months.

My current regimen (subject to change pending new product development, of course):

FALL DETAIL - strip wash, clay, strip wash, Revive, IPA wipe-down, LPS.

WINTER MAINTENANCE- add some HGG every month after a normal wash.

SPRING DETAIL- strip wash, clay, full paint correction, strip wash, LPS.

SUMMER MAINTENANCE AND SHOW SHINE- add some HGG every month after a normal wash, apply wax or glaze when I want some extra shine or need some detail-therapy.

That's a lot of layers already on there Phil.  Definitely time for a fresh start by stripping all that off and getting down to bare paint for a new application of LPS to last the winter.

My process is to strip wash before a new application of LPS, which is every 6 months.

My current regimen (subject to change pending new product development, of course):

FALL DETAIL - strip wash, clay, strip wash, Revive, IPA wipe-down, LPS.

WINTER MAINTENANCE- add some HGG every month after a normal wash.

SPRING DETAIL- strip wash, clay, full paint correction, strip wash, LPS.

SUMMER MAINTENANCE AND SHOW SHINE- add some HGG every month after a normal wash, apply wax or glaze when I want some extra shine or need some detail-therapy.

Damn dude! That's quite a bit of work. You're assuming I have the same patience as you!! LOL.

I just applied LPS to the whole car earlier as I couldn't wait for an answer.

A strip wash will be done soon I guess. Damn you Dan!!! (Cursing your name for pointing out how pathetic my regime is compared to yours!)

Goals, Phil, goals!  :D

Your program is not pathetic, doing nothing at all and having your finishes get trashed is pathetic!

With the applications you have done just this year, you are to be commended for keeping after the shine!  :2thumbs:

Another coat of LPS shouldn't hurt, but if you notice any haziness, then you know you have too many layers of sealant and wax and need to strip wash and start fresh.

Goals, Phil, goals!  :D

Your program is not pathetic, doing nothing at all and having your finishes get trashed is pathetic!

With the applications you have done just this year, you are to be commended for keeping after the shine!  :2thumbs:

Another coat of LPS shouldn't hurt, but if you notice any haziness, then you know you have too many layers of sealant and wax and need to strip wash and start fresh.

Thanks brother! I don't notice any haziness... But my gray color tends to hide a lot!

Phil you're fine, using the BG during the year isn't adding much in the way of layers because it lasts a couple weeks at most and does clean some of the layer underneath it (when talking about waxes)

Patriot is less durable than Americana (2 months-ish durability), so a couple layers throughout the year isn't harming either.

If it was me I would just clay, apply LPS to get through winter, and maybe add a layer of G&G mid-winter when I do a rinseless wash

I rarely if ever, need to strip wash, and IMO the "haze" people get is from too many layers of traditional waxes (which dont cross link with the paint, rather sit on top) and/or alternating sealant/wax/sealant, etc.