Customer Service 866.965.0400

Working on a tall vehicle

RacerX

Question

I'm curious what people use to protect the sides of a tall vehicle like an SUV when they are working on the roof.  I was thinking of taking something like a Cosco stepladder and putting roll bar padding on the sides.  What do others use?

This is what I use. Low enogh not to hit the truck but plenty high enough to reach across the top.

They even always go on sale around Christmas, I got mine for $22.00

bb043417-840b-43ee-b8ae-188f2a52f3bb_400

How high is this platform? And do you know the weight limit?

Edited by chops1sc

I have a similar one made by Werner its 20 inches tall, 40 inches wide and holds 225 lbs. A guy I work with has the Werner professional version and its a little wider and holds 300 lbs.

Ypu, 20" here it is from both big box stores. The messurments at Lowes are for when it is folded up.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_146404-62251-AP-20-MP6___?Ntt=werner+work+platforms&UserSearch=werner+work+platforms&productId=999946108

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-39-1-2-in-x-12-in-x-20-9-16-in-Aluminum-Work-Platform-AP-20/100662616

Edited by BluedogGMC

Doesnt help me much thou lol I had thought about using those but just not tall enough for me. They would be great for some vehicles that you are close to reaching but just want that little more. 

A pole to extend your reach may be the answer. It works really well for me.

There are hundreds of such devices...I use a Swiffer with Adams microfiber towels...the towels are not a perfect fit for the Swiffer but it gets the job done. Center of SUV hood and roof, center of Corvette hood, roof, rear glass...

I have a similar one made by Werner its 20 inches tall, 40 inches wide and holds 225 lbs. A guy I work with has the Werner professional version and its a little wider and holds 300 lbs.

I'm a big guy at 320. While I know they under-rate ladders and such to protect themselves, Do you think the 225 version is sturdy enough to handle all my awesomeness?

I'm a big guy at 320. While I know they under-rate ladders and such to protect themselves, Do you think the 225 version is sturdy enough to handle all my awesomeness?

I would say no.  It may work once or twice, but not for repetitive use.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-4-ft-Fiberglass-Twin-Step-Ladder-with-375-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IAA-Duty-Rating-T7404/203134367

Edited by LFairbanks

LOL! I already knew that answer! On the reals though. I have a 5' version of that ladder you posted. I guess it will have to do until I can find something easier to handle.

I thought about getting one of these for my camper, but it would be just as cumbersome to handle while washing the truck.

051751066913lg.jpg

I need to find one like this with a heavier rating.

051751010053lg.jpg

This one is a 300 pounder. hefty price too at $96. It stands at 2' too. I think it would be perfect along with a pole for the middle if you still can't reach.

051751010633lg.jpg

On second thought, this one is cheaper and holds more weight!

61q1oKef9zL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by chops1sc

There are all kinds of heavy duty step stools on Amazon.  Just type "heavy duty step stool" in the search bar.  I haven't had any issues reaching any places on my vehicles with a 4 foot step ladder.  That includes the full size pickup, and I would consider myself short.

This is what I use. Low enogh not to hit the truck but plenty high enough to reach across the top.

They even always go on sale around Christmas, I got mine for $22.00

bb043417-840b-43ee-b8ae-188f2a52f3bb_400

I use one like this too. The only thing I regret is that I got a 3 foot one. Shoulda got a 4 footer.

Im with ya Chris, im not a small man myself being north of 3 bills as well. That werner works fine for me the only problem I have with using the werner is that It puts me a little farther way from the truck but I can handle that. 

A pole to extend your reach may be the answer. It works really well for me.

There are hundreds of such devices...I use a Swiffer with Adams microfiber towels...the towels are not a perfect fit for the Swiffer but it gets the job done. Center of SUV hood and roof, center of Corvette hood, roof, rear glass...

I had thought of that, and then thought of the leverage application, then there was a discussion on making a pole for the wash wedge which discussed that very option. 

Quite often when just doing a waterless or rinseless I just stand up on the door sill thou it can be a bit tricky. Im looking into a step ladder of sorts that can hold some supplies a bit higher up for when I need to do a full 2 bucket or a polish so the tools are within easier reach.