Customer Service 866.965.0400

Liquid Paint Sealant on trim...

chops1sc

Question

I thought I removed all of the sealant that got on the plastic trim but the white haze is reappearing! I tried APC and IPA but it keeps coming back. I read on here somewhere that you can use vegetable oil to help remove the residue. Anyone have more details on how this is done? Do I use it before or after a wash? What do I use to apply it with?

Any help is appreciated!

7 answers to this question

I have been having good luck with 70% isopropyl alcohol and a stiff bristled tooth brush and paper towels for application, 

What I have been doing is to get a paper towel very moist with the alcohol and rub onto the plastic. 

Then take and give a good rub if it is fairly smooth with just mild grooves and patterns in it

For the deeper areas I have been using a small plastic cup with a little alcohol in it and just dip the toothbrush right in it. 

I have been doing this to try and avoid getting too much onto the paint and pull off my finishes. 

thats just my way and its working well. 

I did hear the peanut butter method works on the stuborn stuff but I have not yet tried it as the alcohol is working well. 

I do have one spot that will be tough to get to so I might give it a try and if I do I will certainly take pics. 

Guest washemup

After the wash, and water is dried off the trim. Use a small amount of vegetable oil on a low knap microfiber. I wouldn't use any of your good towels like a single or double soft. If you have any cheaper towels use those.

I usually only do this if the sealant is fresh. If it has been on for a while, an eraser works really well.

OK Chops, I just found a spot on my rock guards that had some dried sealant on it. What I did first was clean the area with Rinseless, then put a piece of tape to the adjacent paint, as I don't want to rub the eraser on my paint, then just used a pencil eraser as shown in the video. This took me all of 5 minutes. I'm going to delete the video as I didn't realize it advertises CG products.

post-12794-0-29445800-1445182569_thumb.jpgpost-12794-0-03159200-1445182617_thumb.jpgpost-12794-0-75253100-1445182644_thumb.jpg

Edited by washemup

Thanks everyone! I should clear up my original statement some. The APC and IPA did work, I guess there are some spots that I just didnt see or didn't clean all the way. I'll give it another shot today if I have time. We are starting to pack as we are buying a house!

Thanks again!

OMG Pink Rubber eraser works wonders I totally forgot about that trick, I used to do it 10 years ago and keep one in my trunk just for that purpose LOL

Yup. Even a Mr. Clean magic eraser works. Little abrasive, but if it's tough to get off, this will take it off. I had tried APC on my bedrails, vinegar, etc. Nothing worked on the heavier spots except for the magic eraser.