Customer Service 866.965.0400

What else can I do??

PT3

Question

Besides the exterior, wheels, interior, and engine bay... What else can I clean/detail?

With the gray paint I can't see any imperfections to polish out. And with the M5 being my daily I can't see getting into a CRAZY level of detailing. But I've found some spare time and until my GT3 arrives I have no other rides to 'play' with.

With the gray paint I can't see any imperfections to polish out. 

I'm sure they exist.... Both of my cars are a similar gray color to your M5, and one of them I can see some scratches and imperfections in daylight that I want to get rid of. This is why I'm debating so heavily about polishers because they'll most be on sealant/glaze duty because the gray hides everything else so well. Never know what you have to gain. At least throw some Finishing Polish on it. 

When my cars are at the level I like I focus more on getting the door jambs spotless, getting the rubber/plastic outer pieces cleaned and protected ( a necessity on BMW's around the windows. What about sitting back and just admiring what you have? Are there swirls? Most likely but if your happy then that's all that matters. My 3 cars and bass boat is spotless most times and I'm done with driving myself nuts walking around with led lights looking for the smallest of swirls,I already have a job that I have to go to. I just did a M5 in Singapore Grey and that color really hides swirls nicely

post-6284-0-02374400-1445212504_thumb.jpeg

Hi Phil, your list pretty much covers every generally area, but dirty windows are a pet peeve of mine so I seem to clean them a lot. Have you ever tried Glass Sealant on them?

Hmm, some other ideas...polish the exhaust tips (inside lip of the exhaust tips too if they are double wall), SVRT on the wiper cowl and wiper arms if they aren't painted, Invisible Undercarriage Spray on the inner fender liners, In & Out Spray on all of the wire loom and rubber hoses in the engine bay, SVRT on the rubber trim of the door jambs...I'm running out of ideas :)

Hi Phil, your list pretty much covers every generally area, but dirty windows are a pet peeve of mine so I seem to clean them a lot. Have you ever tried Glass Sealant on them?

Hmm, some other ideas...polish the exhaust tips (inside lip of the exhaust tips too if they are double wall), SVRT on the wiper cowl and wiper arms if they aren't painted, Invisible Undercarriage Spray on the inner fender liners, In & Out Spray on all of the wire loom and rubber hoses in the engine bay, SVRT on the rubber trim of the door jambs...I'm running out of ideas :)

Glass sealant - yep! Every 3-4 months with claying first

Polish exh tips - not yet. Added!

SVRT cowl - yep! Done about 4-5 weeks ago

Wiper arms get cleaned with exterior

Inv undercarriage - eh... Not really interested. My wheel wells stay pretty darn clean and invisible. Enough that it doesn't bother me. Plus, I can't really see much of them with the low stance and big wheels.

In&Out in engine bay - no, but did just use SVRT when I detailed the engine bay about 3-4 weeks ago.

SVRT on rubber trim on jambs - not yet. Added!

When my cars are at the level I like I focus more on getting the door jambs spotless, getting the rubber/plastic outer pieces cleaned and protected ( a necessity on BMW's around the windows. What about sitting back and just admiring what you have? Are there swirls? Most likely but if your happy then that's all that matters. My 3 cars and bass boat is spotless most times and I'm done with driving myself nuts walking around with led lights looking for the smallest of swirls,I already have a job that I have to go to. I just did a M5 in Singapore Grey and that color really hides swirls nicely

Sitting back? What's that!? Lol

I'm sure they exist.... Both of my cars are a similar gray color to your M5, and one of them I can see some scratches and imperfections in daylight that I want to get rid of. This is why I'm debating so heavily about polishers because they'll most be on sealant/glaze duty because the gray hides everything else so well. Never know what you have to gain. At least throw some Finishing Polish on it.

I'm sure they exist as well. And I tried looking for swirls/scratches in sunlight. I just don't see them.

So, I can't see spending time polishing when I can't see any improvement. It will actually drive me nuts as I won't be able to see any results. No results don't interest me.

Phil, when is the last time you polished the M5?

You could pull the wheels and give them and the suspension/brakes a good cleaning and sealing.

If I can't see swirls/imperfections... What's the point? I'm asking sincerely.

Hey now no picking on Daily Drivers....I spend all my time detailing my DD, and shes a ford F-250. So go give your DD some love.

The M is my DD and currently sees all my detailing work as I don't have my toy yet.

But for me... I care to only go to a certain level of detailing on my DD as it will get filthy after one short drive. Example- my brakes (while they perform awesome) produce a TON of brake dust. I literally have to wipe my wheels down 3-6 times a week. So I only do a full wheel detail about once a month/every other month. Keep in mind my wheels have a LOT of nooks and crannies being they're 3-piece.

Additionally, I'll do a full on, 100% wheel detail once I take them off for the winter. This will include polishing and sealing.

Edited by PT3

Jack it up and go to town on the undercarriage!

What's the point on a daily driver? Sincere question.

To me it seems like I could do better things with my time.

If it was a garage queen, show car...sure.

Now, I DO use my power washer and undercarriage sprayer once every other month to knock off as much as I can without jacking it up and going crazy.

If I can't see swirls/imperfections... What's the point? I'm asking sincerely.

More shine, bro!  :rockon:

Even though you can't see swirls or scratches, there will be micro-scratching that can't be seen with even the best eyesight, and this reduces the amount of shine.

Polishing out these micro-scratches will give you more shine.  I know this because I saw the difference it made on my truck.  First two major details, no polishing, and triple layered with LPS + BG + APW.  Third detail, two-step correction, and way more shine.  And this was with only a coat of LPS, no glaze or wax like I used previous.

More shine, bro!  :rockon:

Even though you can't see swirls or scratches, there will be micro-scratching that can't be seen with even the best eyesight, and this reduces the amount of shine.

Polishing out these micro-scratches will give you more shine.  I know this because I saw the difference it made on my truck.  First two major details, no polishing, and triple layered with LPS + BG + APW.  Third detail, two-step correction, and way more shine.  And this was with only a coat of LPS, no glaze or wax like I used previous.

Crap! You did it again Dan! Now I'm going to have to break out the Cyclo! Damn you!!! ; )

The M is my DD and currently sees all my detailing work as I don't have my toy yet.

But for me... I care to only go to a certain level of detailing on my DD as it will get filthy after one short drive. Example- my brakes (while they perform awesome) produce a TON of brake dust. I literally have to wipe my wheels down 3-6 times a week. So I only do a full wheel detail about once a month/every other month. Keep in mind my wheels have a LOT of nooks and crannies being they're 3-piece.

Additionally, I'll do a full on, 100% wheel detail once I take them off for the winter. This will include polishing and sealing.

I hear ya on the wheels, I do mine weekly usually and still usually end up needing deep wheel cleaner to get them clean. 

So as stated sit back and enjoy the clean car, heck get some soap soap and clean you bottles. 

I hear ya on the wheels, I do mine weekly usually and still usually end up needing deep wheel cleaner to get them clean. 

So as stated sit back and enjoy the clean car, heck get some soap soap and clean you bottles. 

QS helps a ton with making brake dust fall right off. Just need car wash soap and brushes.

Coatings on wheels make it even easier.

QS helps a ton with making brake dust fall right off. Just need car wash soap and brushes.

Coatings on wheels make it even easier.

Oh man... I absolutely use QS on my wheels. It's not that the brake dust is caked on...it's just that the car produces a TON of it. And my wheels have a lot of crannies that make the job a bit more difficult.

See pics...

post-12257-0-57552600-1445317607_thumb.jpgpost-12257-0-11698200-1445317640_thumb.jpgpost-12257-0-48647900-1445317743_thumb.jpgpost-12257-0-68812500-1445317880_thumb.jpg

post-12257-0-67590200-1445317582_thumb.jpg

Edited by PT3

Fletch.

What did I win?

DUUUUUUUDE.... we ARE kindred spirits! Literally my all time favorite flick. I could act the entire movie as I've seen it no less than 100 times without a doubt!

Now for bonus points... What disguise was he in when he said it? And for triple bonus, who did he say it to?

And you win my admiration.... Which, if you ask anyone who knows me will tell you is NOT easy to get!

Edited by PT3

Oh man... I absolutely use QS on my wheels. It's not that the brake dust is caked on...it's just that the car produces a TON of it. And my wheels have a lot of crannies that make the job a bit more difficult.

Then it should come off with just car shampoo...

Might be time to ditch the terrible BMW pads  ;)