Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chrome Nerf Bars

techninja20

Question

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding cleaning chrome nerf bars/side steps. Purchased a used pair today, and the guy I bought them from didn't even bother cleaning them first. The brackets are showing signs of rust, so I'm going to be trying and getting rid of that before mounting. I was thinking of using a phosphoric prep and etch to remove the rust. As for the chrome, I don't even know where I would start with that. I know chrome is delicate and I don't want to ruin or scratch it. Can you guys give any tips or ideas on what I should use to clean them and possibly protect them?

post-13648-0-73739000-1448245623_thumb.jpg

post-13648-0-52603200-1448245663_thumb.jpg

post-13648-0-00079600-1448245679_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Clean, prep and paint/protect the brackets with POR-15, or have them sandblasted and powder coated.

Chrome isn't delicate, it's a tough durable coating. Give it a good cleaning using 0000 steel wool and WD-40 as a lubricant. Once clean, then you can begin to polish it with Adam's Metal Polishes #'s 1 & 2.

Agreed, if the chrome finish is not toast you would be surprised at how much it can handle to come back. 

I would take the brackets off, sand and paint those with a good outdoor metal paint of your choice. 

AS to the bars, as Dave said above, get a little aggressive with them but not too hard right away always start with the least aggressive first and work up. Once you get all that corrosion and such off then you can give them a nice round with Metal polish 1 and 2. 

I second the POR-15. That stuff is amazing. Just don't get it on you or you will wear it for weeks! Also put a piece of plastic wrap or a Ziploc between the lid and can when you put the lid back on or you will NEVER get it back off.

The guys already have this one covered, but the only thing I will add is to clean the black plastic step plates and end caps with APC and an Edgeless Utility Towel and then apply SVRT before you start polishing them with Metal Polish #1 and #2. That way you will minimize any chances of staining the plastic.