Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning and protecting Matt Black Wheels?

DeDonDeRosa

Question

Just ordered a New set of matt black wheels and i wanna know what  would be the safest way to clean and protect them.  is there any kind of sealant or anything i can use on them? just wanna get some opinions on the best way to clean and protect these . thank you 

11 answers to this question

Are the matte black painted or coated or something else? That could make a difference. 

I would assume painted, in which case I would think of the Liquid Paint Sealer, or the H20 GG but I do not have personal experience at the current time. It could also depend on if you want any shine off of them or not. 

As for cleaning, depends on if they are daily use or a show car type. If its the show car and not driven much you can prob just use some shampoo and water or similar, if not might need to step up to diluted APC or even straight APC, if that doesnt do it DWC can take care of brake dust and grime no problem. 

^ Yes what are they coated with?

I would get this information and then look for a cleaning and care solution. I would be careful with DWC. test it in a small inconspicuous area before you hose down your brand new wheels with it. being a custom set of wheels I would try to stay up on the cleaning and care with car shampoo/ WW / RW / DS . The least aggressive method and keeping up with it will be the best as far as keeping the coating in good condition.

LPS may not be the best depending on what the coating is. It may stain like it does plastic trim. (don't know this but be careful with it) I would lean toward G&G for them unless the surface is slick like paint.

Jim and Nick both made excellent points. Can you tell us the brand of wheels and provide a few pictures? That will help us to provide a little better information for you.

You can use our Car Shampoo or Waterless Wash to clean them, as those two products won't add any shine to the matte finish.

They do mention painting on the site Jim posted. Powder would be best as far as durability. For protection you may want to try to find some Quick Sealant that some dealers might have left over. That would be the best product to keep the matte looking matte. If you cant find any then I would use G&G but I think I would stay away from LPS. Also the DWC, if you do need to use it I would dilute it to 1:1. 

Hello, I have some satin black wheels on my truck so maybe I can help.  I don't like it when they get dry or chalky looking so after I wash my truck in any normal manner, depending on my needs for protection at that moment heres what I do.  If its just a regular wash I hit them with detail spray when drying like i do with the rest of the truck, gives them some pop.  If I'm looking to protect them and give them some sheen, I hit them with quick sealant for now.  But once I run out/and or I sometimes use guard and gloss before I dry them.  Both of those are easy and give them a nice sheen plus protection.  I haven't tried brilliant glaze on them yet but I bet that would give them a nice sheen too.  Good luck, and those are some nice looking rims!