Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint sealant cure time question

marquez93

Question

I finally am getting around to doing a wash, clay, polish and seal for winter. I was thinking about doing two coats of LPS, but I have a question for some of the experts here as it is my first time using the Adam's sealant. I know I have read that the residue comes off easier the longer it sits. But it is recommended to let it cure for an hour before doing another coat. Can I leave the residue for an hour and then remove and immediately do a second coat? Or should I remove the residue sooner and then wait an hour after removing it? I know it's probably not a big deal either way, but I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

I would remove the residue sooner, and then wait an hour for the next coat.

With the residue left in place, the solvents in the LPS might not flash off as fast.

The residue is not hard to remove, just apply to the whole vehicle, then go back and remove the residue, then take a break or work on the interior, before adding the second coat.

Looking good on your MK7 Matt - if you have the time you can remove the residue sooner, wait an hour, then do another coat.  The residues usually come off super easy whether its left on the surface for hours, overnight, or removed within an hour.  The key is applying it super thin, "less is more", and you won't have any problems with removal whether it was 15 minutes or 15 hours.

I left it overnight when I applied to my X5 in November and it came off stupid easy the next morning.  Ton of shine, slickness, and gloss from the product and I'm definitely a huge fan, one of the best sealants on the market at that price point IMO.

Thanks Jason.  I did take the second coat off immediately after applying to the whole car and it still came off super easy.  I'm sure applying it by machine kept it thinner than I might have done by hand. 

Jim, I thought about topping it with something, but I had already spent several hours more than I intended on it.  And it looked so good, I didn't think I could improve it much.  It's a daily driver anyway.  I will definitely be using HGG to maintain it though.  I had already been using that, but I had another brand of sealant on it previously.  And I don't think it looked nearly as good as it does now.