Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chat?

Zach5.9CTD

Hey guys. Does anyone here use the chat function on the website here or is it kind of a dusty unused place. I go in there every now and then and it's always unoccupied except for myself haha

I think it'd be fun to get a group if guys in there to chat live vs on here

It has always been a ghost town.  Most people land here and go no farther.  What would be neat is if we could have planned sessions with topics.   Say Dylan comes in and chats about Rupes for 30-60 minutes.  Then that is archived so that those who could not be in the actual chat could still read it.   Maybe we would send in questions early to allow the person to have an idea of what was on our mind and then he could pre-answer some of them and insert them at various points in the chat.  

Sometimes in a chat like that questions get buried quickly, So a second person, moderator, who is there to help run the chat, might copy the questions and then send them to the guest by email or something.  That way the more valuable questions could be answered and duplicate questions could be deleted.

Or maybe I have a new way of doing something or wanted to tell everyone a simple way to dilute product.  I could have a post stating my to[ic and a time I will be on to discuss it.  I would run the chance of not having a large (or any) turnout, so I should be aware of that possible outcome and not take it personal.  Maybe my topic was lame or I want to talk about winter detailing in July and no one joins the chat.  Or I can do it at a time that many people are not on the site.  This is why pre-questions are nice.  You can gaugre interest and make the chat go smoother. 

Lots of ideas and opportunities.  

Unless we are all spoiled by videos that you can watch anywhere at any time.  

Personally I am NOT one for chat, there are too many times that I have seen in history on diff forums that I have been involved as a mod or admin that they cause problems as there can be wild claims or statements made and things said that have no truth and quickly spread as a rumor with no fact behind it. Also there is quite a benefit to having a thread where folks who cant be on all the time can come in and share knowledge OR learn knowledge from them. 

I am certainly behind doing planned sessions in the chat room with a readable archive later. Maybe even things like a once a month topic from Adam himself where he picks a topic and is open to discussion and sharing about things. Even as simple as "Discussion on Detail spray, uses, functions, and other ideas" that way the chat is not such a random place but still allows for the interaction a bit faster than here. 

I do like your Idea Jim on having other guests that could host a session as well and the idea for a dedicated moderator of the time. Certainly a planned event would be more likely to be well attended rather than just the randomness of things as is. 

I have seen chat on other boards (they go and come).   I think best would be set topic (questions sent in ahead of time) then they can be announced when this topic will be discussed in the chat room.  I think best to do this in the evenings.  Currently, I do not have enough time to during working hours.   Also have set times to just chat and do have moderator present incase things start getting heated up.

• 2 months later...

It is somewhat hidden in the menu, I didn't even know there was a chat. Maybe moving the button might help?

Agreed, on the forum I'm on the chat box is open at the top of the page so you can see people coming in & out.

• 2 weeks later...