Customer Service 866.965.0400

how much do you charge?

dnull

Hey guys, Ive been doing side detail jobs for friends and family for along time. Ive decided to get serious about doing this as a side business now that I have the garage and time to get more serious about it. Question is what are you guys charging? can someone give me a run down of what you offer and what you charge per service. I am also thinking of offering a referral punch card type deal that if a customer refers 5 new customers they receive a free detail. any input is greatly appreciated.

Honestly it will make a difference as to your location as well some other things

In the city vs the country

are you a mobil detailer, or do they need to come to you. 

What are the local places charging? 

have you decided on what you want to really do for detailing 

are you offering multiple service levels or just the one? 

Doing interiors? 

Those are just off the top of my head. 

I guess you could say we live in the suburbs, not mobile but plan to offer pickup and delivery, most of the local places Ive seen are very expensive for the service they provide, I am capable of complete paint correction as well as equipped with a steam cleaner and extractor, I would like to offer packages, and yes capable of doing interiors. 

The other detailing services around will really drive the prices.

Also, pickup and delivery poses a serious liability issue and would have to be covered by your automotive insurance company.

I would really use their pricing to help drive yours, dont undercut it a ton, you will get the work sure, but you will become over burdened with work and also tick off all the locals who will in turn attempt to trash your business to regain theirs. 

Insurance is huge too! cant forget that. 

I would majorly pass on pick up/delivery, way too much liability. Make sure you have insurance that covers it if you decide to do it though. 

I'm usually in the $50-100 range per hour - sometimes more, sometimes less because it depends entirely on the particular job. I don't charge by the hour but rather base the cost of my packages around how many hours it will take and what I want to make. So if a Wash/Clay/Seal + Basic Interior Detail will take you 3 hours just multiply that by what you feel like your hourly rate should be. 

I only charge by the hour for multi-step paint corrections where the exact time for service is unknown. I know from experience how long each non-polishing job will take so that's where my prices come from.  

Just a suggestion but for the referral program, I'd make it 5 (or whatever number you feel necessary) referrals (who purchase details) gets them a maintenance wash. Don't give too much away for free. 

Also look around at your competition and see what they're charging. Chances are they know the prices that your particular area is willing to pay. 

Feel free to check out my website if you want to see my prices, send me a PM for the link if you want it. 

Edited by Performance Auto Detailing

I would majorly pass on pick up/delivery, way too much liability. Make sure you have insurance that covers it if you decide to do it though. 

I'm usually in the $50-100 range per hour - sometimes more, sometimes less because it depends entirely on the particular job. I don't charge by the hour but rather base the cost of my packages around how many hours it will take and what I want to make. So if a Wash/Clay/Seal + Basic Interior Detail will take you 3 hours just multiply that by what you feel like your hourly rate should be. 

I only charge by the hour for multi-step paint corrections where the exact time for service is unknown. I know from experience how long each non-polishing job will take so that's where my prices come from.  

Just a suggestion but for the referral program, I'd make it 5 (or whatever number you feel necessary) referrals (who purchase details) gets them a maintenance wash. Don't give too much away for free. 

Also look around at your competition and see what they're charging. Chances are they know the prices that your particular area is willing to pay. 

Feel free to check out my website if you want to see my prices, send me a PM for the link if you want it. 

just googled the site, damn nice I must say. This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

How do you factor in your supplies cost, depreciation of things like towels and equipment, etc into that? 

I am definitely not a professional and do not wish to become one, but would love to provide detail services here and there via word-of-mouth recommendations.  I have no intention of making it a primary source of income but would love to make a few extra bucks here and there and get to have fun doing it on my own terms and not dealing with the liability of it being my actual job.

If your are going to offer pick up and delivery you should check with your insurance company. Having the car in your possession (garage keeper)is one thing and driving it is another, maybe that's why the detailers in your area are expensive. Do right by all involved and check with your state laws

Edited by vobro

If you are going to be accepting money for detailing you really need to have insurance and it has nothing to do with pickup and drop off. What happens if you burn through on an edge or your light stand falls and scratches down through the base. You will be responsible for a respray and that can get really expensive really fast. That is only one reason why a professional needs to charge more, they need to protect themselves and their customers in the event that something goes wrong. And we all know eventually something will go wrong. I've fixed things for friends and a few times a friend of a friend but I have made it extremely clear that I am not a professional and I am only doing it as a favor. It may seem like an easy way to make some extra money but it is also an easy way to end up in small claims court.

My supplies, equipment, insurance, marketing costs, etc are all factored into my prices. Like said above for those reasons, professionals need to charge more. I am also factoring in the fact that I am driving to the car owner's house for the details. This is a side business for me (while I'm in college) but I take it very seriously - as you can tell from my website. I've got a ton of money tied up in towels, chemicals and equipment but they are all necessary expenses. Some months I have to spend a few hundred dollars for new products or towels and some months I have to spend none. And of course random things break or need to be replaced like vacuum cleaners, blowers, pressure washers etc. For all those reasons $50-100 per hour is what I shoot for.