Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newbie Washing/Care Routine

Joeinmo

Question

Ok, so I watched the videos and lurked through the forums for a while before finally placing my initial order. Now that I've washed a few times I have questions. Both vehicles are brand new, one with 20k miles and one with 5k miles, paint is in great condition. Both are daily drivers, one (read 'hers') is garaged while the other isn't. Here my initial routine, mostly following the daily driver video.

Exterior:

Wheels, Tires & Wheel Wells

Rinse

Foam Cannon - 4oz of Shampoo in new bottle

Two Bucket Wash - 4oz of Shampoo in full bucket

Rinse

Detail Spray Exterior

Clay Bar

H2O Treatment

Clean, Clay & Seal Exterior Glass

Interior:

Vacuum - Starting with headliner and ending with floors

Leather Conditioner on EVERYTHING

Clean Interior Glass

So, this was the initial procedure but I'm not really sure what to do for the weekly schedule. I was thinking something like this:

Exterior:

Wheels, Tires & Wheel Wells

Rinse

Foam Cannon - 4oz of Shampoo in new bottle

Rinse

Dry 

Interior:

Vacuum - Starting with headliner and ending with floors

Clean Interior Glass

The H2O treatment, glass sealant and leather conditioner would be monthly. I'm also going to order and apply liquid paint sealant with the next order. Does this all sound about right?

5 answers to this question

I think you have a great method there, but might be more than you need. 

Personally, what I do for my truck, which does about 1k miles a week for refference. 

Wheels are done with Paint sealant 2x per year (at least)

So 1:1 APC and scrub the tires and wheel wells at the same time, scrub molded mud flaps too 

Apply Tire Shine 

Use rinseless made to waterless with multiple towels, usually the borderless orange (same as the grey) this is sometimes done 2x week if it has been raining and nasty out. If it was really bad I will go to a full rinseless or two bucket as needed 

Clean Glass interior and exterior (this is sometimes done 2x week)

VRT trim and mud flaps 

Coat with buttery wax

Polish (step 2 only usually) front and rear bumpers and tube steps 

That takes me about 2-2.5 hrs and keeps her really shiny and looking awesome. 

Interior wipe down with usually detail spray (LOVE the scent) add about 15-20 min depending on how far I need to go. 

Once I have my car properly sealed and keep it topped with H2O, I can generally wash, dry, and "trim" the exterior in about an hour. I'll usually split it up over two nights if I'm doing when I get home. night one, is exterior, night two is interior. My interiors are fewer than my exteriors because I try to keep that neat and current so it never really needs a deep clean. Once a quarter I'll bust out the L&I cleaner and Leather Conditioner.