Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question about claying

Hamilton Detail

Question

So I'm fairly new to Adam's Polishes and I am really impressed with everything I have used so far.  This upcoming weekend I am planning on doing a full detail job to my truck and my wife's Acadia.  I've watched several of the youtube videos from Adams and they have been really helpful, but I do have a question about one thing.  In the videos when Adam clays a vehicle, it seems that he leaves the detail spray residue on the vehicle and goes right into polishing or waxing (or am I missing something?).  Is this alright to do?  In the past with other products, I've always removed the detail spray after claying and before moving onto polishing.  

8 answers to this question

First off welcome to the Adam's crew!  Yes leaving the detail spray on there is perfectly acceptable. I do it every time on my car and had zero issues. It also saves you a little time from rewashing your car or cleaning it up. However if you feel more comfortable cleaning it off then by all means clean it up, personal preference really.

You CAN rinse it off or wash your car again, but it's not necessary.  When I clay, I usually wipe off the spot once I've done it so there's really no residue. I don't wash or rinse it before I apply polish. I've never had any issues. 

Theoretically, there should be no dirt/contaminants in the left over detail spray.  All of the crud should be in the clay, so yes, it's safe to just start polishing.  

On the other hand, and not that you asked, but the exact opposite is true for clay alternatives.  Those dislodge the dirt from the surface of the car but the leftover lube residue is dirty and I always wipe it prior to polishing.  Yes another reason why traditional clay could be considered "better" since it doesn't create an extra step.