Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze on rubber?

rrmccabe

Question

My 06 Trailblazer has soft smooth rubber in several spots including all around the side glass. Its in good shape but not consistent in look. Could be from partial coatings of LPS, wax, detail spray, glass cleaner and of course VRT.  Who knows :)

I gave it a good scrubbing with a hex applicator and brilliant glaze and it looks as good or better than new.  It totally turned the applicator black but the rubber has a nice medium shine that is consistent.

Is there any reason not to do this?

7 answers to this question

Sorry Rich, I missed this post.

If the Brilliant Glaze is working out ok on that particular rubber for you, you can probably stick with that, but on some rubber types (and textured plastic) you may get staining or discoloration, so we can't always recommend it. It's designed more for paint, glass, and chrome.

Usually for rubber moldings, I will clean them first with a few sprays of APC into an Edgeless Utility Towel, gently scrubbing the area to not scratch the molding (I used to have a TBSS and know how smooth those moldings are, especially around the windshield), then I will treat it with VRT before applying any type of sealant or wax, as the sealant and wax could stain those areas as well.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the response and no worries on delay.

It seems to work great for the soft rubber and did a great job at leveling the unevenness.

I really think it was partly from my paint correction. I probably should have taped it off.

Rich

I read later about VRT first. Makes perfect sense as you saturate dry rubber with VRT its less likely to have wax adhere.

Live and learn. Will say you Adams boys have taught me a lot.  Appreciate it.

My 06 Trailblazer has soft smooth rubber in several spots including all around the side glass. Its in good shape but not consistent in look. Could be from partial coatings of LPS, wax, detail spray, glass cleaner and of course VRT.  Who knows :)

I gave it a good scrubbing with a hex applicator and brilliant glaze and it looks as good or better than new.  It totally turned the applicator black but the rubber has a nice medium shine that is consistent.

Is there any reason not to do this?

BTW Rich dig your SS Trailblazer..

Thanks Dan. It catches a few people off guard :)

Always liked those....Nothing like yours Rich mine is a imitation SS, 2000 suburban,I removed all the badging, put Red SS decals from a Monte Carlo on it. On the rear I added a C5 Corvette Crossflags in the center of the rear liftgate, (Had a 02 at the time). I've had a bunch of people inquire they didn't know chevy made a SS Suburban.

post-12968-0-58201900-1466620738_thumb.jpg