Customer Service 866.965.0400

new ram 2500 - what to do first

golfobx

Question

I have read a lot on the forums prior to posting this...and I know its a bit of a repeat...but want everything in once place if possible...

I just got a new longhorn Laramie megacab ram 2500 diesel...its a big ol truck...but I want to keep it for a long time, and I want to ensure I take the steps to keep it looking nice

I just picked up this weekend, I live on the east coast, in a beach community...so I want to ensure its protected as much as possible

just picked up from dealer this weekend, and want to know what products and in which order I should go in to make sure its protected as long as possible...its a granite metallic color, with a little bit of chrome

thanks in advance!

Congrats on your Nice Ram!

I would suggest Claying first, the I would apply PS. That is if your paint doesn't need corrected.

Then as a maintenance I would apply H2O Guard & Gloss about once a month providing you are doing a two bucket wash once a week.

The PS will work great on your chrome too.

Do you have leather interior?

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing/adam-s-liquid-paint-sealant.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing/adam-s-h2o-guard-gloss.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/adam-s-detail-spray-visco-clay-bar.html

Yea the longhorn is like the king ranch. All cattle leather interior. Not pleather.

One concern I have is the heated and cooled seats the leather has the small perforations to allow the vents to work for the cooling aspect. Any need to worry about clogging up those pores?

I ordered the essentials kit, paint sealant, h20 gaurd; 2 part metal cleaner, 6pack interior kit, and some extra towels and applicators. Also tire rubber and wheel cleaner.

Anything else I need?

Yea the longhorn is like the king ranch. All cattle leather interior. Not pleather.

One concern I have is the heated and cooled seats the leather has the small perforations to allow the vents to work for the cooling aspect. Any need to worry about clogging up those pores?

I have a Ram with the heated & cooled seats and I use LC on them all the time. Just make sure your initial wipe isn't on the perforated area, I usually start on the side where the leather is solid.

I ordered the essentials kit, paint sealant, h20 gaurd; 2 part metal cleaner, 6pack interior kit, and some extra towels and applicators. Also tire rubber and wheel cleaner.

Anything else I need?

Other items to consider would be VRT and Tire Shine for the rubber, plastic trim, and tires.

Great purchase on the Ram, post up some pictures both before and after getting it detailed!

LOL Megacab is a monster!! I had a qcsb Cummins and that was big. I would first suggest going to the gym and start working those arms of yours and before you start make a big pot of coffee. Congrats on that sweet ride, post up some pics!

I've also got a 1969 bronco show truck pushing 518hp. I want to talk with someone about what products to use on it.

Thought your user name looked familiar from classic broncos.  I have a 1973 Bronco and we spoke previously when I was buying Wildwood parts for my brake upgrade.  Welcome to the forum.

Edited by TX SS

Congrats on the Mega Cab! a friend of mine actually took his, extended the frame and put an 8ft bed on it, the thing was nuts. 

I would start with a good strip wash, clay, Paint Sealant, and some type of wax or sealant for it. 

I guess I had always read to wait several months to wax your new vehicle (not entirely sure why everyone said that)....but is there any merit to that? I had my truck custom ordered so I know it was built and painted on/around July 4th. So the paint is only a few weeks old.

New vehicles you do not have to wait on protecting the paint. New paint applied by a body shop the rule of thumb is waiting 90 days before applying any protection to it.

OEM process cures the paint much faster than hand sprayed. 

Nice truck btw!

Edited by gabhart

You can dilute deep wheel cleaner down 1:1 with distilled water for a fallout/iron deposit decon. It will dwell on the surface for a few don't let it dry once it's run its course just spray it off the truck.

I would spray it off and do a strip wash like stated before use a couple ounces of apc in the soap mixture. Once that is done do the decon and spray off. Once your done there clay the truck. If you use diluted rinseless or detail spray after clay if your not going to polish the truck you can move onto the paint sealant. I would at least go over the truck with revive hand polish you will thank yourself later. Domestic factory paint gets to the dealer and is covered in rail dust and other dealer induced swirls since they are of a newborn education to proper washing. I would top the paint sealnt with americana or patriot when it comes back avalible it really is a gorgeous look. After the inital detail you could rinseless wash the truck in 30-45 mins with no hose which is my favorite method. I have hard water so I use 2 gallons of distilled water in the bucket with around 8-10 towels, you can still apply h20 g&g in a rinseless wash. Welcome to the addiction sir and I love the mega goat

What do u mean by decontamination. Can you list the steps.

There are two types of decontamination....chemical and mechanical.  After washing the vehicle to remove any loose dirt, apply a product like Iron-X over the whole vehicle. This wil take care of the chemical decon.  Some new vehicles travel by rail, and the amount of rail dust that accumulates is surprising.  I'm unfamiliar with the Adams line, and what they sell as far as a product that breaks down iron deposits.  Follow that up with a clay bar, or one of the newer 'clay mitts' available out there. Now you're ready to move on to polishing/waxing/sealant/coatings....wherever you want to take your detail

Edited by briarpatch

I use deep wheel cleaner in place of iron x works just as well and it cleans wheels as well kinda a 2 for 1 in my book. Im not dogging iron x but the wheel cleaner is exceptional here at adams and the customer service is outta this world.

Are you saying that you use the wheel cleaner to decontaminate the paint?

Wow that's one hell of a nice truck! Dying to get a new truck lately, my 07 black ram 1500 only has 85k on the clock and in pristine condition bc I have a company truck so I rarely drive it, but I have always wanted a 2500 cummins. Looking at the price of 1/2 ton trucks lately, I can't imagine the price tag on that beast!