Customer Service 866.965.0400

Debadging Pain is the Butt

OIF Vet

Question

Ok. Here is the deal. I took off all the badges that I wanted to yesterday in less than 1 hour. Today I went to work TRYING to take off the sticker residue. To make a long story short, It took me 30 minutes to almost get 1 letter off (still residue). If this is the case it is going to take me over 24 hours or rubbing. Can someone please let me know there secret because right now I'm regretting that I took off the badges. Please help. Thanks.

Rob

Edited by OIF Vet

rob, sorry to hear this. perhaps the Dodge double stick is better than my Toyota tape. but, here's what I did:

de-badged. sprayed the area with a Bug-n-Tar remover and waited a few minutes. I took a plastic flexible scraper and wrapped it in MF and started "scraping" gently. I was careful to work on just the areas of the letters and not the panel itself. repeated these steps as needed per amount of goo and per letter.

it sounds like you should try a different goo remover. oddly enough, peanut butter works really well. just glob it on and let it sit. I also found that God gave us some of the best tools - your fingers are some of the best 'clay bars' around.

my Toyota clear coat is very lame and I did have to PC the panel, but it's perfect now.

best of luck. sorry to hear you're bummed, but when it's all done, I'm sure you'll love it. hope this helps.

goo gone works great and does not eat the paint

I have used it plenty of times on my truck...

Yes -- goo gone is the bomb. They make two types -- a water based goo gone and a petro-based version. I used the water based stuff when I debaged my Audi and it worked great. I'd strongly suggest starting with the gentler water-based stuff and see if that works before trying the petro version.

Rich

people have told me to debadge u get some dental floss and goo gone and ur done within a few minutes..mainly infiniti's beemers and benzes people have told me i do not know how strong the glue is on ur truck though

Yes -- goo gone is the bomb. They make two types -- a water based goo gone and a petro-based version. I used the water based stuff when I debaged my Audi and it worked great. I'd strongly suggest starting with the gentler water-based stuff and see if that works before trying the petro version.

Rich

Good info Rich, I never knew there were different formulas :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We just got off the phone so hopefully we will have some progress soon :xfingers:

I agree, it's a pain but well worth the effort. Just don't rush it and scratch the paint. When I did the TrailBlazer SS about half came off very clean, and the other half were pretty stubborn. I've tried most of the products listed, and like polishing use the least aggressive. When done the Adam's polishing will clean everything right up, certainly makes our vehicles look nicer.

Bruce

Guest V6Power

Never tried it myself, but I've heard freezing the glue works, kinda hardens it so it comes off as a lump instead of smearing.

I just found a can of 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Is this was everyone was talking about. I just want to make sure before I try it. Thanks.

Rob

I just the the 3M customer automotive department and spoke to one of there reps. He said that I have the right product for the job. So when I get home after work, I'll try again. By then my fingers should have feeling back in them. Thanks again everyone.

Rob

I just the the 3M customer automotive department and spoke to one of there reps. He said that I have the right product for the job. So when I get home after work, I'll try again. By then my fingers should have feeling back in them. Thanks again everyone.

Rob

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Rob, I just debadged my G8 and I think the key for me was to reheat the black sticky stuff after getting the metal part off. I was able to peel the stuff off with my flat part of my finger. When I had everything off but a little spot here and there, then I was able to use the goo gone to soften and kept wiping it until I just had some ghosting left on the paint. That's when the old SHR and FMP came in. I hope you have luck in getting it off, but for me it was the combination of heat and goo gone.

The tail gate is done! Since I am a very impatient guy, I went outside and used the 3M adhesive cleaner. The tape was very stubborn to say the least. After about 20 minutes all of the residue is off the tailgate. I notice that I can see the 4x4 still. I'm guessing that is what ghosting is. I just placed my order today for my Swirl and Haze Remover, Machine Polish and Machine Wax (You have to love those specials) so I can't use that stuff. I hate to say it but I have a bottle of another companies All in One Polish that I may use so I can finish up the tailgate. Should I go right to the orange pad first? Any advice would be great for this part. Thanks again everyone.

Rob

That is great news Rob !!!! Glad it worked out. I would try what you have for now and if that doesn't do it I am less than an hour away and have more than enough product and can hook you up with whatever you need. We can always work on it at the clinic next week if needed too, you have my number so just give me a shout if you have any questions :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah man... I pulled the wording "Silverado" off my tailgate and this 1/8" - 1/4" thick padded tape stuff was under it... I've used a ton of "Goof Off" and "Goo Gone" and about 35 minutes to remove it all... just from 1 badge.

I could still see a dark ring where the lettering was... used Swirl and Haze remover and Bam.. worked like a charm.

Good luck!!

Here is the outcome of my tailgate. I didn't have my good camera so I had to use my crappy camera phone. It's not the best picture but I'll take more today. The paint looks at 1,000 times better than what the picture is showing.

090307_151803-1.jpg

Rob