Customer Service 866.965.0400

3m eraser wheel?

hemi1300

Question

In the process of removing the badges on my 2014 ram. Drivers side done but what a pain, basically scrubbed the left over adhesive off with my fingernail and some good gone and micro fiber,but what a chore! Does the 3m eraser wheel work well? Does it do a quick job of removing the adhesive bc that stuff is seriously tough to get off the paint

10 answers to this question

As Kingsford stated- the wheel can bite you real quick. You need to run them at really slow speeds and let it do the work. I pull a decent amount of badges at work, and I find that usually pulling them really slow works to get the majority of it off in one shot. Then hit it with an adhesive remover and let it soak in a little. I ave also used WD40 in a pinch, especially when the glue keeps sticking and re-glueing itself. The WD will stop it from re-attaching to the paint and allow you to get off all those glue boogers easier. 

Heat can help loosen up the adhesive, but the older the tape the harder it wants to hold and no let go. This is where "Patience is a Virtue", really pays off. 

Assuming you cut the tape attaching the badges with a piece of fishing line or dental floss.
If there is enough tape left on the surface work the edge up by rolling/pushing it until you can get a hold of it then gently stretch it while slightly lifting away from the surface.It will usually come off clean with just a trace of adhesive around the edges that will clean up with some goof off.It takes a little patience but works good.Did my silverado that had a ton of small letters that were on there a year and a half and was pretty easy.There are some videos on youtube the show the process.I've never used the eraser wheel.
Good Luckpost-14117-0-33180600-1470767371_thumb.jpegpost-14117-0-67006300-1470767393_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 1911A1

Assuming you cut the tape attaching the badges with a piece of fishing line or dental floss.

If there is enough tape left on the surface work the edge up by rolling/pushing it until you can get a hold of it then gently stretch it while slightly lifting away from the surface.It will usually come off clean with just a trace of adhesive around the edges that will clean up with some goof off.It takes a little patience but works good.Did my silverado that had a ton of small letters that were on there a year and a half and was pretty easy.There are some videos on youtube the show the process.

Good Luck

This is exactly the process I did and worked great, just time consuming getting all the adhesive removed. Was concerned with the eraser wheel and possible paint damage, so I will stay away from it if it's a risk

I've eraser wheeled probably 100 badges. Never had an accident. Just keep the rpms down with the drill and have it turning so that the wheel is "pulling" the adhesive up and not just rubbing on it.  Diluted isopropal alcohol to finish off any gooey spots and polish to perfection.

Yup this. Removed a bunch on cars, boats, jet skis, etc. Never once an issue. Granted anything with power tools and paint should be taken with caution.

People falsely get intimidated by the eraser wheel and assume it'll damage paint easily - fact is that the wheel is quite safe to use if you follow the tips provided above. Just keep it moving. The material is designed to crumble and fall apart as a dust as its worn away (like a pencil eraser on paper) so the potential to damage to paint is actually quite low.

The only real chance for damage is from high heat and thats if you hold the thing in one place for a long time or apply pressure to it. If you stop frequently to check temp, keep the wheel moving, and don't press hard even the most unskilled person can use one safely.

I've lost count of how many badges I've removed with the wheel, full pin stripes, etc. On the black AP dually I removed a stripe that ran the entire length of the truck - think of that... a crew cab, long bed dually. Did the entire thing with 1 wheel in an afternoon and not a bit of damage.

Don't let the fear mongers plant seeds of doubt, it really is the easiest way to remove the badge residues.