Customer Service 866.965.0400

Imperfect Beading = need better protection?

jakerodz7

Question

I went ahead and washed my car yesterday since I heard that it was going to rain today and didn't want all the dirty residue on it.  This morning I walked out to my car and this is what I saw.

post-14703-0-33694000-1474303562_thumb.jpg

post-14703-0-95423800-1474303552_thumb.jpg

post-14703-0-99830300-1474303576_thumb.jpg

The beads don't look as "nice or perfect" as I expected them to be.  

My question is, does this mean I need to add protection to the paint or am I just being picky in wanting the beads to look better? 

Current Protection on the paint: 

1 month old H2O G&G

1 week old wash and wax topped with buttery wax

Thanks for the input guys! 

14 answers to this question

Well you dont have much protection on it to start with.  Buttery is the a great quick wax but burns off pretty quick outside as its the shortest life of the 3 waxes Adams offers. But of course last more than a week.

G&G is more an extender/protectant for between waxes.

If this is your daily I would consider putting sealant on it and then wax. You really are pretty minimal for protection with what you have.

All my cars bead differently so not the perfect indication.

I agree with everything said so far about having a solid sealant such as liquid paint sealant down first on bare paint.  My question was also going to be, when was the last time you clayed the car? The more contaminates that are still on the car, the more surface tension there is and could "flatten" out the beads for lack of a better term.  My Silverado I like to strip wash, clay, polish(if needed), liquid paint sealant, wax(if so desired). Maintain every 3-4 washes with H2O G&G. 

Well you dont have much protection on it to start with.  Buttery is the a great quick wax but burns off pretty quick outside as its the shortest life of the 3 waxes Adams offers. But of course last more than a week.

G&G is more an extender/protectant for between waxes.

If this is your daily I would consider putting sealant on it and then wax. You really are pretty minimal for protection with what you have.

All my cars bead differently so not the perfect indication.

Yeah I was thinking that too because I applied paint sealant to the Sentra and washed it this weekend as well and that one was beading very well with the "nice" beads for lack of a better term.  I kind of figured that wasn't the best protection. Should I do a strip wash asap or can it wait until next week weds when I will have time off and am planning on doing a paint correction?

Yep, condition of the paint will also alter the behavior of the beading. It can be difficult to tell if your protection is wearing off. A good schedule for applying your sealants/waxes and regular washes will help ensure your paint is protected all year.

Yeah I mean i thought my paint was in good condition as I clayed it about a couple months ago but maybe it needs some love again. I was hoping to wait until next weds when I will have the rest of the week off to paint correct it. 

I agree with everything said so far about having a solid sealant such as liquid paint sealant down first on bare paint.  My question was also going to be, when was the last time you clayed the car? The more contaminates that are still on the car, the more surface tension there is and could "flatten" out the beads for lack of a better term.  My Silverado I like to strip wash, clay, polish(if needed), liquid paint sealant, wax(if so desired). Maintain every 3-4 washes with H2O G&G. 

I want to say I clayed the paint about 2 months ago.  I figured contaminants had something to do with that.  I was doing that before the strip wash and the car was beading very well, I did have paint sealant down (from the dark side) on it though. Well I will definitely be strip washing it and doing everything I need too asap. Perhaps I will do a quick rinseless wash and add another layer of buttery just to get me to my break next weds. 

Nothing bad will happen between now and next Wednesday. No sense in "wasting" product just to get pretty beads. Just wait until you have the proper time, and then do it right. "Work smarter, not harder."

Ok that's reassuring and that way I can really dedicate time to paint correction!

Use paint sealant, then use h20 GG/Detail spray every other wash. I swear my car has never been so slick, glossy, shiny, and expel water than using all of these. I also throw a coat of Buttery Wax on when I get that waxing itch and want my car to have a little more pop to it for the week or so. 

Use paint sealant, then use h20 GG/Detail spray every other wash. I swear my car has never been so slick, glossy, shiny, and expel water than using all of these. I also throw a coat of Buttery Wax on when I get that waxing itch and want my car to have a little more pop to it for the week or so. 

That sounds like a solid routine and with having a gallon of G&G very possible. I will give that a shot.

Gallon will last you all year. Once you realize how much is needed per panel you'll learn to be more conservative for a little goes a long way. And the 8oz sealant is pricey but again, does a phenomenal job and again....a little goes a long way. Maybe have done 4 cars (my grand prix, a new impala, new odyssey, and a juke) and small panels for demonstration on friends cars, and have a little more than half a bottle. 

Gallon will last you all year. Once you realize how much is needed per panel you'll learn to be more conservative for a little goes a long way. And the 8oz sealant is pricey but again, does a phenomenal job and again....a little goes a long way. Maybe have done 4 cars (my grand prix, a new impala, new odyssey, and a juke) and small panels for demonstration on friends cars, and have a little more than half a bottle.

That's awesome, I still have to get the application down as I feel like I use too much but I'll get it down. I have the paint sealant too just haven't gotten around to using it because I want to wait until after paint correction.

My sister's vehicle I washed a little over a month ago and applied h20 GG as it's only protection and it was beading nicely this morning. I did a good strip wash and clay prior to applying it though. My fiance's car was washed with wash and wax last week, curious if that affects beading that you normally would see with H2OGG or LPS. If i can get a chance to see it before she leaves for work the next rainy day I'll check out the beads.

It just happens that I polished and applied 2 coats of LPS on Saturday, and it rained Monday. Here's my hood showing off the beads - they're tight, but not perfectly uniform. I topped with G&G after a wash when the rain stopped, and from what I've seen the beading with G&G is even better.

post-13018-0-99302700-1474383762_thumb.jpg

post-13018-0-35375800-1474383785_thumb.jpg

It just happens that I polished and applied 2 coats of LPS on Saturday, and it rained Monday. Here's my hood showing off the beads - they're tight, but not perfectly uniform. I topped with G&G after a wash when the rain stopped, and from what I've seen the beading with G&G is even better.

This makes me feel better because the paint was definitely beading they just were not the perfect beads. Still I need to polish the paint on my break, I keep putting it off.