Customer Service 866.965.0400

Full Detail including Paint Correction

jakerodz7

Question

I am fortunate enough to have the rest of the week off :) and am planning a full detail with paint correction as follows:

Strip wash

Clay

PCP and microfiber pad

PFP and white pad

Wash again

Brilliant glaze

Paint sealant (possibly 2 coats)

Buttery Wax (maybe)

A couple of questions:

1) what do I need to tape off when paint correcting?

2) how long do I have to let the glaze, paint sealant cure before removing residue? Also, how long before adding the next coat?

Any other tips you guys might want to share?

Much appreciated guys!

11 answers to this question

I tape off grills, trim, and lights when I Polish typically.

Glaze is a very fast hazing product by time you spread out a panel it's ready to be removed

Paint sealant I like to wait 2-4 hrs before topping with anything myself but I do not have a exact Adams answer for this honestly

Don't forget to seal and wax the wheels as well

I would consider taping plastics and rubber. Also consider placing tape on the opposite panel overlapping the gaps to prevent product from getting inside the cracks.

Technically, you can apply and remove glaze and paint sealant instantly. Many people here, including myself, like to let sealant cure for about an hour or longer. Some overnight. I say 1 hour is good. Not sure you need to apply 2 coats, but if you want to I think it'd be safe to apply after wiping off the 1st coat.

To make taping less involved I typically will apply VRT to any trim before polishing or layering. With a fresh coat of VRT, any excess product simply wipes away. Once I'm done I reapply a coat of VRT to even it out make sure I didn't miss any spots or product.

The glaze you can buff away once it hazes up, and you can apply the next product right away for the most part. I normally give it 20-30 minutes anyways as it makes me stare at the paint for a while. 

The Paint Sealant can be buffed away once hazed up completely, about 5-10 minutes,  and then can be topped 1 hour later with another layer or another product.

Billy is correct in that we recommend waiting at least one hour after buffing off Paint Sealant residue before applying any other product on top of it.

I will usually let Paint Sealant haze up anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes if I'm working in my garage, but I will work more quickly with it if I'm outside in the sun.