Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning OEM Car Bra

BRC

Question

Any idea what the best way is to clean where the car bra overlaps on the body paint? That area continues to get dirty all the time. I've tried using a toothbrush with Adam's cleaning supplies, and while I can get it pretty clean, there's still a line of dirt on there right in the crease.

I've attached a photo. It drives me crazy!

post-15044-0-21121300-1476217522_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Thanks @medic001918

Yes, this is a daily driver, and I just purchased it about two weeks ago. I got it much cleaner than what shows in the pic, but I've gone as far as to use a toothbrush to scrub it out. It just piles up! Thanks for the feedback.

It's a bad spot.  It's the adhesive that attracts all the dirt and grime.  Hard to keep it from happening.  If you get too aggressive, it can lead to premature failure of the adhesive holding it on.  

I usually take a waterless wash or the like and a utility microfiber and go around the edges to get the heavy crap out.

Hope this helps!

Yours looks like mine did.  I had it replaced under warranty and it looks good as new now.  But before, I could usually get it clean.........until I drove it and then it would show those dirty tracks again. Once the dirt is under the edges there's nothing you can do really.  And the thicker the tape, the worse it shows. I have 3M on mine and it was fairly thick, but this Feb. they came out with new stuff because of complaints of yellowing and that's what I have on my car now.  You might want to check into what you have and if it's 3M, ask them about a free replacement. 

A little detail that might help...a little! When wiping (washing, drying, waxing et al) wipe parallel to the film's edge, not across it. (Actually, I use this technique for all edges, seems...). This will reduce dirt/wax...from being pushed into the seem. 

It's a bad spot.  It's the adhesive that attracts all the dirt and grime.  Hard to keep it from happening.  If you get too aggressive, it can lead to premature failure of the adhesive holding it on.  

I usually take a waterless wash or the like and a utility microfiber and go around the edges to get the heavy crap out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I'll try a little waterless wash and try and caress it out of there a bit more with a soft tooth brush. I appreciate the feedback.

Yours looks like mine did.  I had it replaced under warranty and it looks good as new now.  But before, I could usually get it clean.........until I drove it and then it would show those dirty tracks again. Once the dirt is under the edges there's nothing you can do really.  And the thicker the tape, the worse it shows. I have 3M on mine and it was fairly thick, but this Feb. they came out with new stuff because of complaints of yellowing and that's what I have on my car now.  You might want to check into what you have and if it's 3M, ask them about a free replacement. 

Exactly - it's thick tape. How were you able to get it replaced under warranty? Just because it was dirty? I'll reach out to the dealership It's a Grand Cherokee SRT.

A little detail that might help...a little! When wiping (washing, drying, waxing et al) wipe parallel to the film's edge, not across it. (Actually, I use this technique for all edges, seems...). This will reduce dirt/wax...from being pushed into the seem. 

Good call - that's what I tried to do AFTER, of course, I had already rubbed it in! Oh well, it looks a little better now, but definitely not how it looked new.

Exactly - it's thick tape. How were you able to get it replaced under warranty? Just because it was dirty? I'll reach out to the dealership It's a Grand Cherokee SRT.

Mine is 3M.  They had been having trouble with the older stuff yellowing and the dirt lines, so when they came out with the new stuff in February, they were replacing the old with the new.  Plus my new tape has a 5 year warranty. Or maybe it's 7 year (can't remember).