Customer Service 866.965.0400

Maintenance Wash Feedback

BRC

Question

Ladies, Gentleman, Scholars,

I've noticed that we have a lot of feedback when it comes to initial washes using Adam's products - whether it be for new cars or for folks like me, who are new to Adam's and the detailing world. I did a quick search, and I didn't see any recent feedback on maintenance washes. I now feel comfortable with my fall and spring prep washes, and I'm loving the Waterless / Detail Spray combo for mid-week maintenance, but I wanted to get some feedback on my weekly / bi-monthly Two Bucket Wash process. 

1) Wheels - Sensitive topic for me because my car produces a TON of brake dust, even after a day. I just can't keep up with it. I think the G&G helped a bit, but it is what it is. I'll use G&G on there every two weeks to try and reseal, and use LPS when I remove the wheels for my dedicated winter tire and wheel set up.

1.a) When G&G is to be resealed, I'm going to use a 1:1 dilution of Wheel Cleaner to water to remove current seal and remove brake dust. I'll also use Tire & Rubber Cleaner during this time period to remove VRT or Tire Shine.

1.B) When G&G is not being used, I'll use regular Car Shampoo and give it a good scrubbing.

2) Apply Car Shampoo to the car using a foam gun. Rinse car off afterward. Probably not a super necessary step, but I do feel like it gets a bit of the visibile dirt off prior to the Two Bucket Wash - and it doesn't use much Car Shampoo. 

3) Two Bucket Wash Process using Car Shampoo.

4) Apply Detail Spray to the wet car using Pressurized Spray Bottle. Throw this in the "for what it's worth column," but these things are great. I have one for Detail Spray and one for Waterless Wash that I use during the week. Once you get your settings down right, they're very valuable for time saving purposes.

5) Wipe down and dry using Great White Microfiber Drying Towels - I typically go through three. 

6) Apply Briliant Glaze - I like my car super shiny, so this is a great product for me. I believe this is the correct position to put this step in, but I'm open to feedback.

7) Apply G&G every three to four weeks, depending on the weather.

8) Address wheels with VRT or Tire Shine.

9) Address trim with VRT or the new product, Trim Coating - which I'll probably wait to use on a fall or spring prep.

10) Clean interior using Total Interior Detailer.

I think that's pretty much it. I spent last weekend doing the fall and winter prep on the exterior, and this weekend I'm going to do the interior with Leather Conditioner. I follow The Wolf's advice on cleaning as I go, and I wash all microfiber towels in Revitalizer immediately after detailing. 

Any other thoughts and tips are welcomed. And, as always, thank you for the feedback!

Edited by BRC

13 answers to this question

That's a great sequence for a maintenance wash. You can always throw in some Under Carriage Spray like I like to do.  Also, do you have Tire and Rubber Cleaner? That'd be good for your more infrequent wash cycles.

Thanks, Dustin. I have the undercarriage spray, but I purchased it before I knew what my undercarriage was made of! Unfortunately, it's almost like a "felt" type of material - so no undercarriage spray for me. 

I do have Tire and Rubber Cleaner. I'll be using that when I use the Wheel Cleaner to remove any sealants I have on the tires - probably once every two weeks. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, Dustin. I have the undercarriage spray, but I purchased it before I knew what my undercarriage was made of! Unfortunately, it's almost like a "felt" type of material - so no undercarriage spray for me. 

What do you mean, it's a felt type of material? I spray it on my wheel wells and the portion of frame that I can see

What do you mean, it's a felt type of material? I spray it on my wheel wells and the portion of frame that I can see

I'll take a photo of it - but I've seen some guys cover it on here from time to time. It's not plastic. The wheel well is a fabric.

I'll take a photo of it - but I've seen some guys cover it on here from time to time. It's not plastic. The wheel well is a fabric.

Sound deadening material. Pain to clean but I don't think I would use under carriage spray on it.

Have you tried to sheet rinse your vehicle prior to drying? On my Traverse, I barely need 1/2 of a drying towel to completely dry all of it when I sheet rinse. That would help save your laundry load!

I just Googled it to see the Adam's video - that's unreal. I'm going to give that a go this weekend. Great tip. Thanks.

Sheet/pool/whatever rinse works really well. 

Throttle the water flow, upstream a bit from the hose end to provide a smooth flow of water. Caution with anything on the end of the hose that could scratch the paint! Then mist with some detail spray and towel dry. 

Sheet/pool/whatever rinse works really well. 

Throttle the water flow, upstream a bit from the hose end to provide a smooth flow of water. Caution with anything on the end of the hose that could scratch the paint! Then mist with some detail spray and towel dry. 

Yeah, I like that idea. Thanks for that feedback. 

Have you tried to sheet rinse your vehicle prior to drying? On my Traverse, I barely need 1/2 of a drying towel to completely dry all of it when I sheet rinse. That would help save your laundry load!

I would also recommend some kind of blower to get water out of all the nooks and crannies around mirrors and trim pieces. The blower won't totally dry your vehicle, but like the sheet rinse it will get the excess water off, so you'll be able to dry with one Great White towel.

I would also recommend some kind of blower to get water out of all the nooks and crannies around mirrors and trim pieces. The blower won't totally dry your vehicle, but like the sheet rinse it will get the excess water off, so you'll be able to dry with one Great White towel.

I want one so bad. I just need a better place to use it before I make the purchase. That and a cart for my products are really my next big detailing purchases.