Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bird poo etched in clear coat

Jason S.

Question

Hi guys. If you haven't heard, Subaru paint is very soft. My wife came home the other day with a huge bird poo right on the hood of her 2016 Outback. I immediately cleaned it off, but it left a really bad etch in the paint. I wet sanded it with 2500 then 3000, then polished with microfiber pad and correcting polish. Here's the result after finishing polish and sealant. Enjoy!

post-13923-0-39920500-1477684176_thumb.jpg

post-13923-0-44785900-1477684188_thumb.jpg

post-13923-0-54122000-1477684201_thumb.jpg

post-13923-0-19140100-1477684212_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Not even close. I first tried some swirl and haze remover with orange (hand) pad. It laughed at me. Then went to the DA with correcting polish and microfiber pad. That improved it, but still wasn't even close to acceptable. Even 3000 didn't get it enough, so had to go to 2500. That did the trick, then just smoothed and polished it up. I always start with least aggressive first.

Not even close. I first tried some swirl and haze remover with orange (hand) pad. It laughed at me. Then went to the DA with correcting polish and microfiber pad. That improved it, but still wasn't even close to acceptable. Even 3000 didn't get it enough, so had to go to 2500. That did the trick, then just smoothed and polished it up. I always start with least aggressive first.

Damn, what did that bird eat? lol. Glad you got it taken care of it turned out great.

Edited by BluedogGMC

Man I need to do this to a bird poo etch spot on the hood of my new laramie ram, but a bit nervous bc I have never wet sanded. When wet sanding, do u just go over the problem area a few times until u can no longer see the etch marks and then break out the polisher?

You nailed it. Go from least aggressive method first. If it requires sanding, I would start at 4000 grit, then 3000, then 2500 only if absolutely necessary. Remember to post your results and method! ;) 

You nailed it. Go from least aggressive method first. If it requires sanding, I would start at 4000 grit, then 3000, then 2500 only if absolutely necessary. Remember to post your results and method! ;)

Good advice

Man I need to do this to a bird poo etch spot on the hood of my new laramie ram, but a bit nervous bc I have never wet sanded. When wet sanding, do u just go over the problem area a few times until u can no longer see the etch marks and then break out the polisher?

Derek once u do this u will wonder why u waited so long . Just don't go at it like a mad man and u will be fine. Edited by PostalTwo

Derek, this same thing happened to my uncles red metallic outback, it was cause by tree sap. I removed the tree sap, and let the paint sit for a few days in the hot sun, surprisingly it shrank quite a bit to where he didn't notice it and then I posted and waxed the spot out.

I had that on my 2015 WRX (obviously very soft paint) but I actually clayed it with little lubricant, and that sucker eventually went away.  My wrist and shoulder were on fire after though lol.  Paint correction did the fine tuning.