Customer Service 866.965.0400

Will Simple Green or similar degreaser remove wax?

Quick Time Detailing

Question

I'm bringing in a customer's truck tonight and he already washed it. I was going to use some degreaser and my pressure washer to clean up under the hood then give the exterior a good wash before starting the clay bar process. Since I've got a clean surface to start with I wanted to try to save a little time by not dirtying it up with the pressure washer and degreaser. So I'm wondering if I wait till the end after applying the Buttery Wax if I can go back and address under the hood and give it one final quick wash at the end, or if the degreaser will remove all the wax it touches. Input would be much appreciated!

5 answers to this question

First of all, I'd be really hesitant using a pressure washer under the hood. That's a lot of power, and nowadays there are some really delicate electronics under there that don't mix all that well with water. 

Also, Simple Green will remove wax. We use simple green out here on our ships to scrub grease off the decks, so I imagine Buttery won't hold up all that well. I would stick with APC under the hood, be careful to not splash any on the paint, and then touch up the exterior with wax last.

"Delicate electronics" do not exist under the hood of modern cars. Sophisticated, yes. Delicate, not so much. Automotive electronics are specifically designed, manufactured, and tested to survive the harsh environment they reside. Compare the environment under the hood of a vehicle to where you see most electronics. Under the hood of a daily driver is WAY more harsh than our living rooms where our home entertainment systems are kept.. I'll hose down an engine control module before I'd even think about taking a a spray bottle of cleaner and a wet sponge to my TV! :D  Vehicles survive temperatures, swings, vibration, humidity, water... Heat and humidity in the summer v.s.cold and snow in the winter. All with the same vehicle!

In a previous life I sold $1M automated x-ray inspection systems to inspect the quality of surface mount solder joints. One of my biggest customers? A large manufacturer of automotive electronics, including engine control modules. A lot high tech in those puppies, and they spend there lives exposed to a lot worse then a spritz with a hose!   

As "Performance" stated, common sense! Don't drench the alternator, connectors, fuse blocks... and you'll be fine. 

I guess I should have been a little bit more specific. In a past life, I owned a Raptor and I had more aftermarket electronic equipment under there than anything else, and I drenched a couple of relays for the light bars I was running and shorted out my entire lighting system while out in the boonies. So blast away if you're comfortable. But I've seen water get inside plastic plugs, freeze, and split them wide open. Even seen water short out headlights, various other things, and cause ghostly mystery issues that you can chase for years and never find. So I guess the above holds true, just make sure the spray stays away from vital components and you'll be fine. 

Personally, I'll stick with the low pressure garden hose.

Edited by Mariner

Dustin, no question garden hose pressure is safer than pressure washer pressures. Not only for electronics, but mechanicals as well (bearings...). Pressure washers are great tools, but they can get water into places Houdini could not escape! As "Performance" said, common sense.

Not seeing the after-market electronics you reference I can't can't say for sure...but the vast majority of after-market electronics doesn't come close to the robustness of OEM. OEM has to be seriously robust, the warranty costs would kill the OEM if their products were not capable of surviving the harsh automotive environments. 

As for detailing under the hood, some of the vehicles a few generations back, even with much less sophisticated electronics, are more susceptible to problems from detailing chemicals and water than the current stuff. Connectors and electronic packaging has greatly improved over the years. Example, compare a distributor ignition of years gone bye to today's ignition systems. The stuff today is way less susceptible to damage from cleaning and detailing.

If in doubt, a towel, baggy, "saran wrap", rubber bands, electrical tape, and common sense...will provide a bit of extra protection.