Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to become very knowledgeable about detailing?

Jrosacker

Question

Another question! Any books/websites you guys recommend on detailing? I have been watching videos etc.. I really want to know my stuff so I can constantly impress, what does everyone recommend? any advice is welcome. I guess everyone has been kind of bringing me down saying I'm not going to get anywhere since I'm 17 trying to start a small business, hard to start..

9 answers to this question

You're going to be fine. Read through as many threads as possible here. There are surely books you could start with, but watching, then rewatching the videos is a great start - and can get you to where you need to be. Then come in and search key words that pop up. Know your acronyms. This is no different than what you would do to study for a final in college, or what a head coach does in the NFL. Just keep reading and watching the videos. Everything you need to know is in all these threads. 

How to Start a Home-Based Car Detailing Business (Home-Based Business Series) Paperback - August 7,2012 by Renny Doyle is a excellent book to read. I would also look out The U.S. Small Business Administrations website. The site will walk you through how to write a business plan. Writing a business plan is a lot of work but afterwards you will have a true sense of what you are doing, the market in which you are working in, and possible competition. Things to consider on the legal side is insurance, taxes, naming your business, and environmental concerns.

Do not listen to those that say your age is a problem. This is a great opportunity for you to grow as a person and make some money. Just remember that the publics expectations for having their car detailed is different then family or friends expectations.

practice, practice, practice!  Then, when you're comfortable with your technique, practice some more.

Seriously, every car will respond differently.  No two jobs will be the same.  As others have suggested, there are "classes" out there that will discuss the basics, but a lot of it is learning about the physical and chemical properties of the various surfaces that you will be working on.   Paint, plastics, carpets, leather, etc.  Reading up on and learning about the actual materials will help a lot.