Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Adhesive Gunk from Leather

WMUCarGuy

Question

So I just bought a second set of leather seat covers for my Mustang Bullitt. The driver seats bolstering is prone to tearing and I had an opportunity to buy an entire set for a very good price. They arrive today and I noticed that one of the rear seats has adhesive gunk leftover from what looks like packing tape. Is there a safe and effective way to remove this gunk from the leather without damaging it?

3 answers to this question

Goo Gone or any of the over the counter citrus based cleaners should work fine and not damage the leather.  You will want to condition afterwards.  Be careful with stronger, "adhesive removers"  as they may be more likely to pull the color and/or create hazing.

- Darryl 

Goo Gone or any of the over the counter citrus based cleaners should work fine and not damage the leather.  You will want to condition afterwards.  Be careful with stronger, "adhesive removers"  as they may be more likely to pull the color and/or create hazing.

- Darryl 

Something like goo gone/goof off would have been my guess, but I would have thought that would for sure be damaging to the color. Has anyone used these products on leather and not had it be a problem?

I've used Goo Gone with good results, but my best advice to you is to try a small dab somewhere that you won't notice it and watch for reaction.  When you wipe it, if the only thing that comes off is dirt, you're good to go.  But remember to treat your seats to a good treatment with the Leather Conditoner afterwards.  Anytime you use any chemicals on your leather seats, dashes, or doors you always want to treat them when you're done.  :2thumbs: