Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cautionary tale: Detail Tape and old paint are not friends:(

Junior

Question

So I decided to detail the door jambs on my 1997 Ford Explorer. Broke out the Mini and PCP and orange pad along with BG and LPS. It made a HUGE difference. However, in removing the detail tape, paint got removed in a couple of spots. I guess when dealing with 20 year old paint, you really need the be careful using tape. Just wanted to make folks aware.

Edited by Junior

7 answers to this question

Wow, that's a bummer to hear! I loved that orange detailing tape that we had several years because it was low tack but I could re-use it two or three times before throwing a piece away.

I've used it on dozens of vehicles, some that were 15+ years old, and remove it slowly with no issues. I'm surprised it pulled paint off. Do you have any pictures of the affected area? Was it perhaps right at the edge of a plastic area? Was it only clear coat that it removed or base color coat as well?

Man I'm really sorry about that :(

Dan I have some pics of the places I polished before and after. But not of the damage specifically. I'll post the results and see if I can get a pic showing what happened. It removed paint. But I am not worried about it. This is my beater and I just use it to practice on:) I just wanted to let folks know to be careful. I probably removed it a little too rapidly. Next time, I might soak it with some RW or just plain old water. And also remove it slower.

post-10519-0-25664100-1487893543_thumb.jpg

post-10519-0-31405000-1487893560_thumb.jpg

You can also 'burn' 'burning' the tape.  Take the tape you are going to use and tape it to your shirt...this will pick up some lint and make the tape less sticky and easier to remove.  Also always remove it slowly and while pulling at an angle.

Sorry to hear this happened.