Customer Service 866.965.0400

Yellowing Lower Door Film

Mariner

Question

My 4Runner came with a lower clear film strip on my rockers. It's a great feature, but on a "Super White" paint job, the slow yellowing is ugly. I ran some searches and the threads on clear 3m film were older, and seemed to be focused more on polishing than anything.

Whats the least aggressive to more aggressive cleaning method, besides polishing?

Isopropyl alcohol, brilliant glaze, or even RHP? Somebody please enlighten me :)

9 answers to this question

From what I have heard the film isn't yellowing, it is actually the adhesive for the film that is yellowing. Only remedy I have heard of is to remove the film and replace it.

To answer your question, I would use the order you stated. IPA wipedown, BG, and RHP.

Edited by SumBeach35

Oh man. That film is less than a year old so that would be a serious bummer if I had to replace it.

I would bring it up with Toyota. It should definitely be a warranty item. Could even tell them you just want the parts and you will do it yourself so you can make sure the paint isn't damaged. What I would likely do is find some local PPF dealer and have them cut you some pieces they know won't yellow. I'd hate to have Toyota replace it and happen again within a year.

I had the same issue.  If it's 3M and was put on more than a year ago, you may be covered under warranty. 3M was having so many issues with the tape yellowing that they came out with a new and better formula that doesn't yellow. I had mine replaced on my cars last year for that very reason.  Both my rides are white.  And  you'll want to be careful with the edges.  Dirt collects more  on the edges and it really shows up on the white.  The new film is thinner and not as obvious. Check with your dealer to see if it's 3M or not, and if he gives you any flak...........contact 3M

I would bring it up with Toyota. It should definitely be a warranty item. Could even tell them you just want the parts and you will do it yourself so you can make sure the paint isn't damaged. What I would likely do is find some local PPF dealer and have them cut you some pieces they know won't yellow. I'd hate to have Toyota replace it and happen again within a year.

I had the same issue.  If it's 3M and was put on more than a year ago, you may be covered under warranty. 3M was having so many issues with the tape yellowing that they came out with a new and better formula that doesn't yellow. I had mine replaced on my cars last year for that very reason.  Both my rides are white.  And  you'll want to be careful with the edges.  Dirt collects more  on the edges and it really shows up on the white.  The new film is thinner and not as obvious. Check with your dealer to see if it's 3M or not, and if he gives you any flak...........contact 3M

Thanks guys. I'll check with the dealer and see what my next plan of action should be. But Rich, you're right, it's most noticeable around the edges, so eventually I'll have to do something about it.

Edited by Mariner

Thanks guys. I'll check with the dealer and see what my next plan of action should be. But Rich, you're right, it's most noticeable around the edges, so eventually I'll have to do something about it.

Since I had the new formula tape put on, I don't notice it near as much.  

I did some digging on the T4R forum, and I guess there's already issues with this film, ranging from peeling to discoloration. I've found prices online ranging from $40-$100. I'll have to check in with the dealer about the update 3m formula because I really like the purpose it serves, and has definitely saved me from a few rock chips.

Don't use rubbing alcohol on that pastic either, it drys the film out.

My 4Runner came with a lower clear film strip on my rockers. It's a great feature, but on a "Super White" paint job, the slow yellowing is ugly. I ran some searches and the threads on clear 3m film were older, and seemed to be focused more on polishing than anything.

Whats the least aggressive to more aggressive cleaning method, besides polishing?

Isopropyl alcohol, brilliant glaze, or even RHP? Somebody please enlighten me :)