Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black Vehicles - How much polishing is to much?

HustonGraphics

Question

I have four black vehicles and try to keep them looking nice as possible.  I've been buying from Adams for the last few years.  My Ram Megacab is a daily driver which is washed often.  Two Buckets, clean rags, foam gun, etc but usually needs a light polish once or twice a year to remove minor swirls and scuffs.  Is this to much polishing. 

The other vehicles probably get polished the same amount.  My truck is the only one not garaged.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything to cause damage.  The truck looks better now than when it was new in 2013.

Thanks!!!

post-13474-0-82814800-1492107828_thumb.jpg

Edited by HustonGraphics

4 answers to this question

Polishing once a year should be OK.  It it the thickness of the clearcoat that determines 'how much is too much', but those of us that have black vehicles that show EVERYTHING think about polishing monthly!  

If you are concerned about them, you can pick up a coating thickness gauge for around $150, and keep track of how much clear you are removing each time.    

​Welcome Luke!

​Michael and Rich gave you great advice!

Knowing how difficult black is to keep looking perfect, especially on a daily driver that lives outdoors, you may want to consider the Adam's Coating? Would offer easier maintenance than regular Paint Sealant or Wax, and more protection due to the Coating application.

​With the Ram HD MegaCab you really have a lot of area to cover even during washes, and just possibly the coating may offer you the most protection, shine, and durability for your money and time investments.

Just my opinion, have had black vehicles before, and just got another one, and they really are spectacular when detailed but do show every piece of dust, dirt, etc. and really taking care of black is more a career than just a quick and easy job. 

Black MEGACAB...holy crap that's a full time job!! I do one correction a year per vehicle (Firebird just gets washed). They are all garage kept. I don't see anything that your doing doing damage. I agree with Robert that Adam's coating would probably save you some time!