Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is it worth it?

Checo

Question

I was considering getting a water Deionizer like the one pictured and I was wondering if it's worth it? Some of the pros I can think of is it makes Wax/sealants last longer, can wash on hot day with no water spots. Some of the cons are it's kind of bulky and of course the price.

post-15505-0-77787700-1498164656_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

I saw this a while back too and im still curious. Seems kinda too good to be true, I figured it might have a con or two.

That's what I'm worried about, it being too good to be true.

Yes these work great, but the costs outweigh its worth, it also depends what kind of water is served in your area. This unit is cheap plastic that could fall over and break if it's tipped over and the resin beads are very expensive to replace. If you really want soft water churro boy, go down to EDM Global and get your self a soft water tank, they have many sizes to rent all they do is charge you for the cost of the charge and no monthly rental fees, this is where I get mine from. There is a location right down the street in Downey Ca.

http://www.gedms.com/locations.html

9806 Everest st

Downey, Ca 90242

(562) 803-6563

Just call them if your interested

I use a filtration system that is normally used for an aquarium.  I think I payed around $70 which included the filters and fittings.  I got the idea off youtube.  Works great, no water spots.  The only difference is the filters are a little smaller.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, Checo said:

I was considering getting a water Deionizer like the one pictured and I was wondering if it's worth it? Some of the pros I can think of is it makes Wax/sealants last longer, can wash on hot day with no water spots. Some of the cons are it's kind of bulky and of course the price.

I have that unit, and have been using it for 3 years, and I would say YES, it is worth it.  I use mine for the entire wash on both vehicles, on my Dad's boat, and on the house windows. 

A deionizing filter means no drying with towels, you can wash in full sun, and you don't get water spots.  And no drying with towels means less chance for swirls.  I last polished my truck over two years ago, and it still looks amazing.  So just the time savings in not polishing once a year, makes it well worth the cost of the unit, and the resin.

I will also point out that even though you can leave a soaking wet vehicle out in the sun to air dry on not get hard water spots (ie minerals left behind from regular tap water), I did find early on that leaving that much water on the vehicle tends to collect airborne dust in the pooled water and water drops, which then can be seen later.  I also found that the water left in the nooks and crannies often contains soap residue, and having this drip out while it is drying results in visible drip-trails.  For this reason, I use the Master Blaster (and previously used the Sidekick), to get about 90% of the water off, and to blow out the nooks and crannies, then let the rest dry.

Only downside is the cost of the resin, but the resin cost has actually dropped in price since CR Spotless started their recycling program.

While I have not logged specific usage, I typically replace the resin about 2-3x per year, and that is using it on two vehicles.

This unit is fairly well built, but they have just released a newer version that is an improvement.  It has a more stable housing, and uses color-indicating resin so that you know when the filters are getting close to being spent, without having to check the meter.

If you are going to get one, get the newer version:

https://simplechuck.com/product/double-chuck-dark-blue/

There are additional considerations you should make before investing this amount of money.  First and foremost is to test you water, so you can see how hard it is.  Having fairly hard water (over 200ppm or so) increases you ongoing costs for resin.

You can read more in this post:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27009-adamized-the-raptor/?p=440613

Mine should be here next week. 

"And no drying with towels means less chance for swirls."  This is the reason I bought mine. As long as you only use the DI water for rinsing it will last much longer.