Customer Service 866.965.0400

Eclipse?

chops1sc

My brother and I made a trip north to see it at 100%.  We left early Saturday morning and found a place in the mountains. Approximately 15 miles off center.  It was an amazing experience to see in person.  Seeing Baily's Beads, the diamond rings, a 360 degree sunset, see everything go dark, and to physically feel the huge temperature drop.  It was amazing, and well worth the trip.  I will post up a picture or two when I go thru them.  I purchased a special filter for my camera so that I could photograph the sun.

Edited by LFairbanks

We were in an area with 95% to 97% coverage and it didn't seem to get that dark which was disappointing.  My brother went to southern Illinois and was very close to the totality line.  He took a time lapse video and it did get very dark, dark enough you could see the stars.  Now I see what all of the hubbub was. 

I saw some videos people posted from St. Louis showing how dark it got.  Very cool! 

Thank you for sharing the pictures of the shadows! 

Here are a couple of pictures.  I just took them off of my computer screen, so they may look odd.  First picture is of totality, notice Bailty's Beads if you zoom in.  I have several pictures of the whole thing, I just picked a couple to share.  Second picture is of the landscape at about the halfway point.  Third picture shows how dark it got.  The second and third pictures where taken from a video that I shot with my GoPro.  I just put it on a log and hit record.  That sunset you see was 360 degrees around us.  

post-706-0-71277400-1503461061_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-71498500-1503461084_thumb.jpg

post-706-0-58371900-1503461098_thumb.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

^^^ Awesome pics, Chris! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more in 2019!

With digging into it some more, it looks like 4:30 of totality will be out in the ocean.  2:30 on the coast of Chile.  Still may go.  It is one of those things that pictures just don't do it justice.  It is something you have to experience in person.  The best way I can describe it is when I took my wife to see the Grand Canyon she was in aww, and mentioned that pictures just don't do it justice.